Anyone here drive an older car & doesnt care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What otehrs think or when you see people in these nice modern or luxury expensive perfect condition cars? Just want to hear from some people on here driving old cars.

I drive a 1990 Grand Marquis as a daily driver and a 1970 Lincoln Mk III as my weekend ride. Don't get jealous a bit - nothing on the road today, except maybe a rolls, rides and drives as quiet and smooth as these two cars.

I care about providing for my kids, and 3 are in college right now. I care about planning for my future, and I will only work for another 16 years or so. I care about the things I get to do with those who are important to me, including time spent together, travel, and recreation. I care about leading the people who are assigned to me in the Navy Reserve, about their careers and development, about our mission I care about doing a careful, professional job while in the cockpit at the airline.

Cars are way behind all those things. Show me someone who cares more about cars than the things I mentioned above, and I'll show you a shallow person, destined for unhappiness and professional failure...

I drive nice cars, not new, but nice enough...and I don't compare myself to others on the basis of what's in our driveways.

I enjoy cars, work on them, even have a really cool hobby car (check the sig). But ascribing value to cars as a measure of success, or focusing on cars as an important aspect of one's merit or achievement, is a distraction from what's really important in life.

Last edited:
88 Aries,and frankly they sure dont make them as simple and serviceable as they used to.And they never will again,thanks to the Feds and every other special interest group.I carry spare parts,if something fails I can fix it.If their 2008 Hyundai Elantra stops...good luck.Send to Korea for a new computer... I look at it as I am the smarter one.Spending less on a car,being able to keep a 24 year old car in such good shape,getting as good gas mileage as most of these Subarus and overblown soccer mon crossovers,beating the pants off pickup truck mpgs,and basically proving that 1980s Chrysler technology and engineering wasnt nearly as bad as their own bad memories would lead them to believe.Dont want a new car,have no desire for one.I repair my own stuff,I dont want a dealership to wind up with it everytime some little light goes on for something stupid.Have had go arounds with dealerships and garages way back in the day....

Rust is starting to get the better of my '89 Olds 88, but mechanically it's in great shape and runs great. Don't really care what others think of it, I like it.

Four out of five of our daily drivers are old now.
So what?
All are well maintained and look pretty good.
All are reliable and totally useable without compromise.
I've put 5500 miles on my seventeen year old BMW since mid-April, when it came out of winter storage, and it is as reliable and as economical to run as any new econobox.
It offers an easily used drop top, and has better AC than most new cars, a useful thing on those 100F+ days we've seen.
There are plenty of attractive new cars.
The trick is to select one that you can drive for many years without spending a ton on maintenace and repair.

Reminds me of the time I was driving a 1970 Buick that was about two months away from the bone yard and someone in what you would have to literally call a pimp-mobile full size pink Cadillac decked out with chrome and polish and this jerk is the only one in the car has the window open and a pink suit including a big brim hat with big feather, tried to come down a ramp to get into the main flow of traffic, and his speed and timing were such that he was literally going for the exact spot that my car occupied. I just look at him and thought come on pal, you want to swap paint with me, bring it on. I did not give even 1/8 of an inch. He had to abandon that attempt to get into traffic.

Sometimes along with not having to pay for insurance to cover the replacement of the vehicle, there are hidden advantages to driving something that has little value.

I like my 2 (side job) work trucks-both simple IDI diesels, easy to work on, don't usually give any problems, the '93 GMC is an ex-state truck 3500, paid less than $800 for it 5 years ago, and the '89 F-Super Duty Reading service body truck would cost $50 big ones for a new one, probably have $7500 in it with it's rust-free TN cab & doghouse and paint job. I always honk at the newer work trucks broke down on the highway when I go by!
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a brand new BMW convertible. Cost over $40k. Just bought it because unlike most, I could afford it and just pay for it. Now granted, high end Honda odessey vans and most full size pickup trucks cost as much if not more than my car, but this is a commuting toy.

Am I proud, boastful or feel I'm better? Nope. In fact, the most pride I feel is driving 30 year old Mercedes that are like brand new. They aren't worth as much as a new civic, and don't offer all the creature comforts of the latest luxury cars. But they have lines, quality, and form that modern cars just don't have.

But back to the BMW... When someone in a "lesser" (as the ads would make you feel) car comes by, am I smug? Nope. And when a 6 series convertible comes by am I jealous? Nope. I just don't care.

I buy cars based upon what I perceive to be good value, attractive price point, and meets all my wants. If next year the model has 50hp more, I'm not concerned. I shop for what I want and like, and keep it like new so it looks better at 5 years than others' do at 1 year old. On any given day I'll drive a car that is 31, 30, 21, 14, 8, 4 or 1 year old. Each has a purpose, each has a quality that I love, and while each would have a "better" variant in new form, do I care? Nope. I own my stuff, and I'm comfortable with what I've got.

While advertising is great at telling you what you deserve and how you need it so bad, nobody deserves anything, and most make choices that really do nothing but harm their long term position by trying to talk the talk. I'm not jealous of losers or posers.

And I'm also not saying to not get nice things. Many just can't afford them, and that's life - grow up. But if you can plan and make it happen, some reasonable nice tho GE that you can be proud of and keep nice, are nice to have. But planning for them and paying for them are the keys.

Count me in. When I park my Aerostar next to a nice car I lower the value of that car.

I have said in the past "I don't want to have to fix my car on the way to work".

But I also want a vehicle that is not embarrassing. Rusted sections of the vehicle missing gets on the embarrassing side.

And in an old vehicle you often put in what the vehicle is worth during the last year or two of ownership.

No car payment is a big plus.

My oldest is a 1999. But I have a 1987 boat. 1990 Bobcat.

I can't see the justification in spending all that money on a new vehicle that gets marginally better gas mileage than a 12 year old car. Plus no car payments, cheaper insurance and avoidance of having to visit the stealership for overpriced maintenance are another set of bonuses.

Last edited:
This is a monthly thread on here, it seems.

Lots of people on here drive older vehicles, myself included. I'm not aware of any risk if the vehicle is maintained properly. I've seen enough new vehicles on the side of the road.

I pretty much dislike most newer cars. my new pickup is an 87 and my jeep is an 02. I can fix either at home. I giggle when I see a yuppie in a newer car because they will be paying me to fix it

Depends on what you mean by older car.

My father continues driving his 2003 Infiniti G35 even though he could clearly afford a GT-R or Boss 302 (two cars he lusts after). He doesn't really care that it isn't brand new. It's paid off, reliable, and gets him from A to B.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Rust is starting to get the better of my '89 Olds 88, but mechanically it's in great shape and runs great. Don't really care what others think of it, I like it.

My brother had one of those. He was the original owner (bought it new) and drove it to over 180 K miles. It was laid up one whole year when the trany went, but he found a used one and put it in himself. Finaly had to take it to the junk yard last year. I cant tell you how many times I heard him say I dont think I am going to keep it for the next inspection.

He realy liked that car.

Nothing wrong at all with older vehicles... However there is nothing wrong with newer ones as well. Not questioning anyone's motives for a thread like this. We have different beliefs, values, financial situations etc. Drive what you like and enjoy. What others drive...more power to them whatever they choose.

By today's standards my truck is considered old (10 years) but I'll likely have it for at least 10 years. I paid or it with one months salary.

Buying a new car is financial suicide. I'd rather invest and spend my money in more lucrative and exciting ways. I'm about to buy a second house at age 29 because of the magnificent stock market.

my 81 fairmont is my main car right now. Looks like complete S too. well, i suppose it looks like any other car might look after being in the elements for 31 years. Unless we (my family) need air conditioning, thats what we take. When a/c is needed we take my grand prix, but i try to avoid that as much as possible to keep the miles on it as low as possible. Right now (or beginning again this fall) my grand prix is my school car. Since my school is 40 miles away, 4 nights a week, thats a pretty important machine. Since it already has more miles on it then my fairmont, (grand prix 130,000, fairmont has 112,000) i try to drive the fairmont as much as possible. With the performance mods done to the GP, it gets the same city MPG as the fairmont anyways.. My ranchero is my work car, kinda. Since my family needs the 4 doors, i take the 2 door to work. I say "kinda" cuz its actually in really nice shape, and i hate making it a "work car", and honestly, if i had a garage, it would probably be dedicated to that ranchero. But its stuck suffering in my apartment parking stalls with the other 2. Since automotive technology is what im going to school for, i make sure all 3 cars run like new at all times. (wouldnt let my family in them if they didnt)

I pretty much don't care. I'd like a better looking truck, but I can't really ask for a better running one, so since it's paid for I'll keep driving it until it's not worth fixing. The body is rough, but everything works and to me that is by far the most important thing about a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back