Anyone here drive an older car & doesnt care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
There's nothing wrong with a 2001 Civic. Its not like you are driving a 1986 CRX that is falling apart. You must be exaggerating a tiny bit.

In life you have to be content with what you have.

Im not exagerating, Im just very upset buying an old car and having to replace stuff on it that I wouldnt have to on a newer car like bushings, ball joints, endlinks. [censored] me off just thinking about it.

I was so happy and excited when i got the car 23 months ago but oh how things have completely turned 180. When I bought it, I sure wasnt embarassed to be seen in it. Now I wish I could drive the thing off a cliff. GRRR.

We have several Camrys old enough that you can actually find the oil filter, unlike the new ones. Heat, AC, radio, power seat, sunroof, all work fine. When you park in the city, as I have to do to "practice" it's no fun watching your nice car get beaten to death as I had happen to several SAABS. In some cities around here a car is taxed EVERY year at as much as 70 bucks per thousand of value. Great if you have a new one. . If you are into cars, you are probably aware of cetain models from almost any maker which were real keepers. I think the owners of those cars who keep them up are to be admired. So, I drive older cars BUT, my son got out of university with two degrees, high honors, debt FREE. That dough could have been car payments, but was put to a far better purpose.

Last edited:
I get a kickout of people who claim you ought to trade a car in "while the stealer will still GIVE you something for it". Apparently they are unable to calculate the value of a number of years without car payments. I suspect they actually think the stealer can make what they still own on the trade in "go away". "We'll pay off your trade in" they scream. Yeah right.

I'm glad Bust My Wallet leases out so many nice 320s since someone in my family will be looking for a good used one in a few years. Good thing so many posers "can't be caught dead" in last year's lease car.

Last edited:
When clients give me a hard time about my "city car" I just tell'm it's OVERHEAD, and I'll get a new one and add to their bill. Sometimes the lightbulb goes on, not always.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

Im not exagerating, Im just very upset buying an old car and having to replace stuff on it that I wouldnt have to on a newer car like bushings, ball joints, endlinks. [censored] me off just thinking about it.

I was so happy and excited when i got the car 23 months ago but oh how things have completely turned 180. When I bought it, I sure wasnt embarassed to be seen in it. Now I wish I could drive the thing off a cliff. GRRR.

It's a machine with moving parts. They sometimes wear out and need to be kept up. If you don't like that, then it's time to get on the two-year lease plan and buy German or hop on the Chrysler "buy new and trade it every year" plan. Either way it's going to cost some money that you don't seem to have. If you want the world to treat you like you're some kind of fancy Princess and you weren't born into it, then you'll have to make yourself of such obvious value that you clearly deserve such treatment. Nobody's going to tell you how to do that because anyone who knows how will just do it themselves.

My sister thinks like you. She's unemployed and living in a house borrowed from my mother and drives a car on my father's dime. I keep it up, but not well enough for her liking because I don't have the time and money to spare. Well, that, and I get tired of listening to her complain that she can't find a "decent man" to take care of her. I should give you her number, you two would make a nice pair.

Excuse me while I go evacuate my stomach.

Last edited:
If you want to keep a car a while, stay away from the stealer show rooms. The same plaid pants wearing "expert" who told you your new beauty would go 200 thousand miles when you bought it will now be telling you to trade it in before you "have to put money into repairs". The car payment, apparently is a different kind of money.

Seems like you simply don't like your car. Civic is a good car as far as function but otherwise you are correct, nothing exciting to look at nor drive.

Does not help to repair something you really don't like.

I once felt the same about a Civic I had too for 9yrs(felt the same at month 1 of ownership). However the day the AC broke on a really hot drive and I sold within 1 hr and carless went shopping and dropped cash on a brand new car. That cash was saved over the years of no payments and driving my ultra boring/reliable car.

LT4 Vette said:
There's nothing wrong with a 2001 Civic. Its not like you are driving a 1986 CRX that is falling apart. You must be exaggerating a tiny bit.

In life you have to be content with what you have.

Really? dude come on! of course and older car will need repairs but to be upset about it is foolish. think about it at 200per month thats 2400 a year in car payments. does an older car cost you that much a year? it shouldnt my saturn is a 98 i love it. it has a little clear coat peeling on the door sills and it used to bug me and i will probably fix it soon but it doesnt bother me anymore. its been a fabulous car to own. i dont have a car payment. i was actually approved for a used car from the dealer last week. since i was shopping for a second car. my payments would have been about 165 per month but i stopped and thought do i really want to have a car payment and after some serious thought i thought nope i sure do not. post a picture of your civic i want to see how "awful" it is. if there is something you dont like fix it and be happy.
i have family who recently bought new cars my moms 09 focus unless elantra and moms boyfriends daughter bought a slightly used cobalt. they have all been to the dealer a few times. for various things. the hyundai wouldn't take fuel.....focus for reverse lights,wrench light being on and door not opening and window motor failed. cobalt needed a new rack and timing chain. now explain to me how having a new car sounds good. when my 2000 dollar saturn needed a radiator i wasn't upset but if my new hyundai wont take gas after paying a big chunk of change for it i would be very upset and embarrassed that my new car is acting up.

01. I feel embarassed just saying that. I dont tell everyone that cause of it. And it looks hideous and badly outdated. If i ever go on a date, I wont take a girl in it. When I park, I always park in an area where not many other cars will see me. I never park it on a busy street.

I'm confused. Are you embarrassed because you feel 2001 is too old, or because you think it's too new for you to feel the way you do about it?

The only time I feel jealous about driving an old car is when it's in the shop, again. Otherwise I generally don't care about what others think, only if it's cost me too much, or if it's getting the job done.

The only person outside of family whose opinion I care about is my boss--and only because he controls pay increases.
wink.gif
And even then--not that much.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
When clients give me a hard time about my "city car" I just tell'm it's OVERHEAD, and I'll get a new one and add to their bill. Sometimes the lightbulb goes on, not always.

First that I have heard of a "city car"...in the airline industry, the analog is the "airport car"...reliable, confortable, car that you're willing to have sit for days on end unattended, in an airport parking lot, subject to jet exhaust, minor flooding (especially the lot in DCA), and hail (in DEN)...

Even if I buy a really nice car someday, when my kids are out of college, I will still have an "airport car" on hand for that use...

^^^Hahaha, never leave a car you LIKE at an airport!!!

But seriously, why worry about what anyone else has? You'll never be happier than the day you quit worrying what others do or have.

Take care of yourself and your family. The truth is we're all driving exactly what we really wanted.

My '03 Buick Park Avenue will be 10 this fall. I've been driving it for half its life. Sure, I look at some other cars with a certain amount of lust in my heart. A local used dealer has a slew of '02 and '03 Lexus LS430s in various colors, all with a cream interior, which I love. But I keep mine clean and very well-maintained; it looks much newer than any other PA I've seen. It drives beautifully, handles the worst of the cart tracks (aka roads) around here, keeps me cool or warm as needed.

And there are no '03 to '05 PAs available in the paper, or on AutoTrader within a reasonable drive of me. Which tells me that the smart people who have them are hanging on to them!

My wife drives a 2003 Elantra with 195k miles.. She doesn't even want to think of a new car - unless I remind her of it.
I also drive a 1997 Tbird - 167k miles or so now...I don't care if it's old. It doesn't bother me at all.

(both above cars need new paint jobs, the Tbird especially

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Carnoobie,

What year is your Civic ?

01. I feel embarassed just saying that. I dont tell everyone that cause of it. And it looks hideous and badly outdated. If i ever go on a date, I wont take a girl in it. When I park, I always park in an area where not many other cars will see me. I never park it on a busy street.

Uh, "...where not many other cars will see me..."?

Narcissus, you have finally found your match...

Ive been obsessed about getting a new car for about 6 months straight now, and I mean 6 months everyday on my mind 24/7, its jumped across a few different cars. I dont care much about cars performance but mostly about the looks... But right now ever since I saw the new Toyota Scion..

As mentioned in other posts, you need to get one of those "thingies" that pay you money before you can buy a car.
I believe this "thingy" is also called a "job".

Meanwhile, you should just "pretend" that your car is a Scion, as in the TopGear road test in Albania. They drove a Yugo and called it a Bentley.

I bought my 2001 Grand Marquis in 2004. It has never made me walk, and it seems like the more rust it gets on the front fenders the less people challenge me at intersections.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'd love to get rid of my 2011 Focus for a $4000 used car in good shape. Problem is, there aren't any cheap, not rusted out used cars here.

I have pride in my beat-up 2000 cherokee. My 2011 Focus is ... just a car. Also, I would have no problems / reservations commuting in my Cherokee.

In fact, I'm looking for a 5 speed Cherokee.

Where is CNY? There are a lot of used cars down here in South Texas for that kind of money. Hop on a plane with $5k in your pocket and drive home with one.

Central NY. Actually, I live in Salt City ... we can rot out cars pretty quick here.

I've considered it, but I'm not sure if I'd trust flying down there ... with my luck I'd get down there and have every seller flake out on me.

I was just up in upstate NY on Saturday; I was surprised at how many missing rocker panels were missing. Ok, I wasn't paying close attention nor keeping score; but I see less over here in NH. Must be a difference in inspection requirements.

But at one light I saw three Dodge Caravans go by, in a row, all with the same missing rocker panel while I waited to get a green...

It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got Sheryl Crow

One of the basic tenents of Buddhism is that desire is the cause of suffering (of course it's deeper than that. That's not even the condensed version)

My desire for another piece of (junk) VW Type1 does not actually cause me a lot of anguish. I know it would just be a toy. Not a necessity. Just enough that when I see a nice clean stock Beetle I think to myself, "Oh wow, that's cool. I remember having one a little like that one...." Then I go about my business and file it away.

How bad can an EM/ES Civic be. I mean I drive a PT Cruiser. Yeah, sure, the turbocharged clown hearse can pimp-slap a lot of cars and SUVs in a straight line but they don't know that until they see the small "turbo High Output" badge on the back deck. Until they do it's just a clown hearse. I park in public. I'll drive with the windows down and sunroof open. I don't care. I like my Chrysler. I like it enough to make fun of it and still care for it and drive it. I don't care what anybody thinks. I want what I "got".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back