Anyone had a Kia Rio blow up on them?

I will take your word that you did not intend it as a "bash thread". However if Hyundai/KIA is mentioned as a topic it automatically becomes one.
Same with your other brand that I like …

CKN, what does the data say? As a percentage of vehicles sold (since IMO it’s the only fair comparison for volume differences), is there a statistical difference (Student’s t-test circles do not intersect) between H/K and other manufacturers for engine failures or even recall volumes?

It’s an honest question since I don’t know and likely won’t devote the personal time to dig up the data. If the t-test shows the circles touch/overlap, then yes, it would just be bashing since the rates were similar with other manufacturers.

CKN, what does the data say? As a percentage of vehicles sold (since IMO it’s the only fair comparison for volume differences), is there a statistical difference (Student’s t-test circles do not intersect) between H/K and other manufacturers for engine failures or even recall volumes?

It’s an honest question since I don’t know and likely won’t devote the personal time to dig up the data. If the t-test shows the circles touch/overlap, then yes, it would just be bashing since the rates were similar with other manufacturers.

Here you go!

Here you go!

17% engine issues… not exactly stellar. Even this board’s favorite Japanese whipping post, the Subaru EJ25, has a lower percentage, even with the ‘98-02 Foresters… 🤐

17% engine issues… not exactly stellar. Even this board’s favorite Japanese whipping post, the Subaru EJ25, has a lower percentage, even with the ‘98-02 Foresters… 🤐

I know someone who has had engine issues with practically ever car he's ever owned. A combination of driving like an idiot and never bothering to check the oil, let alone bothering to get it changed. He too, doesn't have a sense of responsibility.

I seriously think this guy could destroy a Sherman tank. How do I know his driving has something to do with it? I loaned him my 2004 Ford Crown Victoria. This car used almost no oil. With him driving it, oil consumption went up significantly.

At least he didn't kill it.

The difference is that Hyundai for one has stepped up and replaced motors BEFORE the lawsuit. Unlike Ford and the 6.0 disasters.

Please, there was a class action that forced them into it. Now there's the one for how easy Hyundai/Kias are to steal because they were too cheap to put transponder keys in when everyone else in the industry (including Ford) had them as standard equipment. More people are getting burned by these Hyundais and Kias than the Ford.

The issue being here is the owner of the KIA needed help before the purchase-she made all the mistakes. Yet-she sounds like someone who doesn't learn from them-not my judgement but what the OP said. She needs help alright. Meanwhile-bash and pontificate all you want.....

Please, there was a class action that forced them into it. Now there's the one for how easy Hyundai/Kias are to steal because they were too cheap to put transponder keys in when everyone else in the industry (including Ford) had them as standard equipment. More people are getting burned by these Hyundais and Kias than the Ford.
Dishdude- I have first hand experience with this. I have mentioned it many times. My son had the motor in his Sonata BEFORE the lawsuit-past 100,000 miles and Hyundai replaced his motor and put him in a late model rental for two weeks.

Dishdude- I have first hand experience with this. I have mentioned it many times. My son had the motor in his Sonata BEFORE the lawsuit-past 100,000 miles and Hyundai replaced his motor and put him in a late model rental for two weeks.

Then why was a class action lawsuit filed if they were so forthcoming with repairs? And they want to charge owners for anti theft kits in vehicles that can be stolen without even needing to use tools?

I am a huge fan of objective criteria (factual pieces of information) with regard to just about everything. But especially when it comes to automotive and aviation subjects. We can enjoy any vehicle brand and type we like, lord knows I love my 2 Jaguars. But I know the reality of the reliability subject. And with regard to overall long term reliability, only Jaguar/Range Rover is worse than Kia/Hyundai.

If this is a defect, and you don't get satisfaction from the dealership, it might be worth contacting little pony over at AR15 dot commm. He may be able to help.

We’ve gone back and forth on this many times in the past and you still act surprised. Your son got his engine replaced free of charge because Hyundai was already in legal trouble over these engine issues dude. At the very beginning when these started failing left and right (around 2013) Hyundai and Kia were denying coverage to almost everyone and making people supply all oil change receipts and being very strict about oil change intervals and denying people who didn’t use the OEM oil filter. By 2014 the writing was on the wall and H/K could no longer deny the huge issue they had. In 2015 they introduced the microphone knock sound test and updated orange dipstick. From then on it became a never ending campaign after campaign and class action lawsuits in nearly every state until finally they joined forces for a national class action suit. Hyundai/Kia didn’t replace your sons engine or anyone else’s engine out of generosity. They got caught red handed and they are paying for it. They’ve been handed several multi million$$ fines, one of them being the largest in history.

After the first recall in 2015 they became more lenient because of the pending legal trouble that was brewing. If your engine failed in 2015 or later, H/K was much easier to work with because they were trying to get ahead of the issue and the wanted to please federal regulators.

They royally screwed thousand of customers out of free engines from 2010-2014 (the 2011 Sonata was introduced in early 2010 in the US). They’d still be screwing customers to this day if they could’ve kept the issue swept under the rug. Eventually dirty laundry dries too.

Last edited:
My daughter blew up the engine in her 2004 Kia Rio but it was her fault for running it out of coolant. Best thing that ever happened to that car. It was a piece of crap.

My understanding is that the problem was at their Alabama engine assembly operation where there was machining debris left in many engines. I've had two Elantras and both fine with virtually zero problems. The '05 is still going with around 175k miles and the '20 with few miles is fine. I made sure to buy the '20 as a Korean built car. I have seen 2 dealer parts rooms with stacks of crated engines.

My daughter blew up the engine in her 2004 Kia Rio but it was her fault for running it out of coolant. Best thing that ever happened to that car. It was a piece of crap.
Wasn’t the 2004 still based on a Ford/Mazda engine? It wasn’t until the second generation (2006 MY) when they were based on the Hyundai Accent.

Last edited:
Oil filter housing cracked? Is this a spin on or a canister filter?
Oil filter housing sounds like a cartridge filter. Could have got cracked somehow and leaked all the oil out of the engine. Doesn't take long to destroy an engine when oil stops circulating.

The '03-'06 Elantras were unchanged with 2.0 low HP Hyundai/Kia engines.. My '20 GDI 2.0 uses the same spin on filter as the '05.

Back