Anyone else having a good lol at Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The speedo on my 2013 Elantra stopped working today. I called local dealer. Dropping car off Tuesday and getting a loaner until car is fixed. Painless.

My dad is very "buy American". Long story short, he ended up with a a 2011 Sonata. Loved it. huge storm rolled through after 45k and it was totaled due to 3 feet of water. He then bought a 2012 Sonata that now has 60k on it. Neither have had issues.

My sister then bought a 2014 Accent hatchback. This car has around 30k trouble free miles on it.

I'm open to any brand and had a few must haves before I bought mine. Hatchback, manual trans. I tried all options in the segment and likes the Elantra GT the best at the time.

Hyundai or any other car company has a choice... Honor the warranty or get hit with a lemon law suit and with a lemon law suit upon losing they have to either buy back the lemon or replace it with a new one or pony up some cash... Its not 1980 anymore Lemon law rocks and car companies hate it. Check your state Lemon law the Lawyers are usually 100% Free
On that note Hyundai makes a great vehicle but it is not cheap anymore thats for sure. Maybe the elantra but thats it all the rest of them are premium priced

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Weren't people laughing back in the day at Honda and Toyota?
Werent Mercedes and BMW buyers laughing at Lexus?

Personally I think Hyundai cars are on par with everything else. I don't care what they did in the past, it's the present lineup that matters to me and Hyundai will definitely be considered for my next purchase.

No one laughed at the LS400. It scared the [censored] out of everyone, Mercedes spent a billion dollars designing the W140 in response.

Hyundai doesn't really have a car like that, yet...

The Japanese fired two moon shots in the 80's, the NSX and the LS400. We can thank them for better luxury cars, and better Italian exotics.

I suspect many sleepless nights were spent in Germany and Italy when those came out.

Last edited:
I don't laugh at Hyundai but I still don't want to buy one.
I don't really like the dealer here in town and I still am not sure if their new lineup of cars will stand the test of time like some of their older stuff actually did. I'm always open to an automaker I once used to not like, being one I do like. Honda is like that for me.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

No one laughed at the LS400. It scared the [censored] out of everyone, Mercedes spent a billion dollars designing the W140 in response.

The Japanese fired two moon shots in the 80's, the NSX and the LS400. We can thank them for better luxury cars, and better Italian exotics.

I suspect many sleepless nights were spent in Germany and Italy when those came out.

Oh please, early Honda's and Toyotas were nothing more than penalty boxes. My question was a rhetorical one as the buying public was indeed laughing at Honda and Toyota, as they were rust buckets with tiny engines.
Lexus was also laughed at because it heavily copied Mercedes, no one cared how well engineered it was until of course the brand gained traction and market share.

Companies are a totally different story. I posted a link few years ago, when Hyundai was making the biggest market gain, about Japanese CEO's being very scared of Hyundai and Kia brands.

I don't hate their cars like some people on here... but they definitely have an image of a sub-par vehicle for people who are just getting by.

There are an abundance of better choices.

All this arguing reminds me of this crazy song!

You will see him on TV any given Sunday
Win the Super Bowl and drive off in a Hyundai

Hyundai has let their success go to their heads. They've ditched the business model that got them to where they are today, i.e., offering reliable vehicles at a price lower than their competition with a much longer warranty, in favor of thinking they are now a premium brand that can demand premium prices. Their vehicles are decent, but I certainly wouldn't pay Lexus-like prices for them...personally, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by going away from the business model that made them successful...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Hyundai will eventually mature into a maker of a solid lineup of cars that enjoy widespread credibility. They aren't there yet.

^this is the opinion.

Whereas below are some facts. Facts that support credibility. Maybe you missed them when posted much earlier. Anyway, it's been fun but we'll agree to disagree.

http://driving.ca/toyota/corolla/auto-news/news/the-top-10-largest-automakers-in-the-world

http://www.statista.com/statistics/275520/ranking-of-car-manufacturers-based-on-global-sales/

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/09/usa-auto-brand-sales-results-rankings-august-2014-ytd.html

You can disagree all you want, but resale values don't lie...

My guess is that you haven't looked at Hyundai resale values since Clinton was President so I don't know how much stock I can put in your opinion.

As of the end of 2014, a Santa Fe had a slightly higher resale at the 3 and 5 year mark than a comparable Ford Explorer XLT. Resale typically also rises with the brand's popularity independent of how good or bad the vehicle is...that's been the case with Hyundai / Kia. Do I think the Explorer is a better vehicle than the Santa Fe?? Heck if I know...but your premise isn't correct if you're talking about these two SUVs and probably several other models.

They "changed" their business model to match the other players in the industry who were now making more fully contented cars from the subcompacts on up. They didn't want to be the maker of the $9999 loss leader anymore. They could redesign and add content to the cars and still be a value proposition independent of the Genesis, Equus, K900 or whatever 50K plus model they sell at a rate of 300/month. That's what happened and this coincides with the recent rise in the brand...and more importantly the car market. So...Hyundai's OK if they make 10K Accents but not OK if you have to pay for a better, comparably loaded, competitive car made by them and thus tell me success has gone to their heads?? >

I have seen few Equus on the road. It has design elements from many other cars even including Acura RL! But to be honest it looked very nice. They have managed to integrate in to something which looks nice. At first glance you think, what kind of MB model is this? Incidentally it had NO crooked H emblem or Hyundai name tag *anywhwere* on it.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Oh please, early Honda's and Toyotas were nothing more than penalty boxes. My question was a rhetorical one as the buying public was indeed laughing at Honda and Toyota, as they were rust buckets with tiny engines.
Lexus was also laughed at because it heavily copied Mercedes, no one cared how well engineered it was until of course the brand gained traction and market share.

Companies are a totally different story. I posted a link few years ago, when Hyundai was making the biggest market gain, about Japanese CEO's being very scared of Hyundai and Kia brands.

That's not true.

Lexus made Mercedes Benz change the way they made cars. Forced them into a rather painful reform period.

Acura had fired a shot across the bow against BMW, but no one took the Legend and the Integra seriously. They were 4 and 6 cylinder fwd cars. Rather well put together fwd cars but fwd nonetheless. It should have put the Germans on notice. If a small motorcycle company like Honda can get headlines like "HONDA BUILDS A BETTER BMW!" then imagine what a bigger company like Toyota or Nissan can do.

The LS400 blew them away. So much so that BMW accused Lexus of selling their cars below cost because, "no one could make a machine that precise at that cost."

Acura would have its day. When the NSX was introduced, it was the Italians who were put on notice. It was no longer acceptable to make a "supercar" that overheated in traffic and that parts routinely fell off of.

Hyundai is not there yet. They have a lot of the right pieces in place, but they are really not there. Suspension tuning for instance. Can you imagine the Genesis Coupe if BMW or Mazda had engineered the chassis? Or the Equus if Citroen or Lexus had engineered the chassis? But they don't and it comes up short.

Hyundai is a manufacturing giant. They make freight ships, locomotives, heavy construction equipment....but I think they need an automotive partner than can help dial in the little details.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Hyundai is not there yet. They have a lot of the right pieces in place, but they are really not there. Suspension tuning for instance. Can you imagine the Genesis Coupe if BMW or Mazda had engineered the chassis? Or the Equus if Citroen or Lexus had engineered the chassis? But they don't and it comes up short.

Hyundai is a manufacturing giant. They make freight ships, locomotives, heavy construction equipment....but I think they need an automotive partner than can help dial in the little details.

Well put. With help in the driving dynamics department, they could really do something. They are on the right track with RWD and a 5.0 V8, they just don't have experience making a refined car chassis. If Hyundai ever teams up with a company that knows how to make driver's cars, they will be a serious threat beyond just the Camcord market.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Well put. With help in the driving dynamics department, they could really do something. They are on the right track with RWD and a 5.0 V8, they just don't have experience making a refined car chassis. If Hyundai ever teams up with a company that knows how to make driver's cars, they will be a serious threat beyond just the Camcord market.

They already have contracted with Lotus for the new sedan. It is a light year forward of anything else they make...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-hyundai-genesis-50-test-review

I think Hyundai has lost their styling soul. New Sonata is nearly identical to the Subaru Legacy (which has been know as one of the least designed vehicles...but incredibility well engineered... and I liked the 2005-2009 model). Unfortunately it was their California-based design that was the reason to buy. My issue with them has been their R&D. Previously they just bought other manufacturer's tech... Ford power steering, Mitzu transmission, GM for something else. It was a slightly dated "greatest hits" in the part department. However, I think it was in the late 2000 when they started their own R&D and it really has not be completely polished since. For example, look at the Veloster's rear suspension.

Originally Posted By: Falken
The only problem I find with Hyundai is they want Honda/Toyota/Mazda prices.

Early 2010 I was shopping for a car with my wife and we really wanted an Elantra Touring station wagon (hatch???).

Man, the salespeople wouldn't do anything at all with the price, and we were going to pay CASH.

It was exactly the same price as any comparable car from Honda/toy/mazda.

Sorry, but Hyundai resale still is non-existant.

I ended up buying a new Honda Fit, and the wife ended up with a Mazda 3 Sport.

Things have changed for sure. Just this last year we bought a fully loaded Elantra GT for my wife for under $22k out the door (we paid in cash, sticker was $26.7 I believe) with an upgraded 10yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty. We went to the Mazda place to test drive a Mazda 3i Touring hatch...MSRP right around the same price, but they only wanted to offer a $1k discount and acted like I had to beg them to buy the car instead of trying to sell me the car. Made the decision easy for me...

I don't really see the need to laugh at Hyundai.
They have come a long way in developing their product.
I think that the most impressive job that they have done is how they have molded Kia's product and have advanced them into becoming a competitive entity.
No way are they really there yet. Last year on a trip to Orlando, I had a new Sonata. The driving dynamics IMO, are not there. They may get there with the right guidance.
While being anecdotal, several people that I know have not had a positive experience with Hyundai products. Fully understand that that is the luck of the draw and can happen with any marque.
There is not a Hyundai in my future, I somewhat doubt there will ever be.
However, I'm not going to laugh at them.

Lotus designed the T-III's cylinder head, and worked with Isuzu on the Impulse's handling. (Which, by contemporary standards, was pretty good.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Lotus designed the T-III's cylinder head, and worked with Isuzu on the Impulse's handling. (Which, by contemporary standards, was pretty good.)

Did it transform the car maker, increase sales or prestige? mostly a label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back