Anyone else having a good lol at Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The back of the Genesis does NOT say Hyundai at all. If you squint at it little bit, it looks like a MB or Lexus. I have started seeing them in Trader Joe shopping plaza. If there was a car which needed de-badging, this one it is!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The back of the Genesis does NOT say Hyundai at all. If you squint at it little bit, it looks like a MB or Lexus. I have started seeing them in Trader Joe shopping plaza. If there was a car which needed de-badging, this one it is!

Speaking of which, the car I see de-badged or re-badged the most is the Veloster. Guys change out the Hyundai badge for something else
21.gif

Interesting topic. Hyundai is a big player in Oz. In 2014, they were the fourth best selling brand, behind Toyota, Holden (GM), and Mazda. Yep, they sold 20% more vehicles than Ford!

Their prices have steadily risen here too, but in fairness I think the quality now matches the Japanese brands. An acquaintance works at a multi-franchise dealer selling Honda, Nissan, Holden and Hyundai, and says Hyundai has the least amount of warranty claims.

There's no stigma attached to Hyundai ownership here, in fact they're seen as a pretty smart buy. I'd have one no worries at all.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
How many successful sales professionals are pulling up in a Hyundai vs. a Beemer, 'Cedes, Caddy, or etc?

I'm thinking of the successful sales "professionals" (sorry, those quotes are required) I have met/worked with.

Mmm....Brand association...would I want to be confused with them?

I've stopped giving my opinion on Hyundai and Kia being sub par and overpriced. It's a losing battle. Maybe Wemay can post his links again.........

I can certainly appreciate the innate want or need to have a midnight ho down with all the field workers. Lets gather around the bonfire and blow a full bullet holes into the Hyundai Scoupe that grammy used to drive. One day I'll scratch that off the bucket list.

Hyundai is not the only automaker whose marketing we can laugh at. But marketing is marketing, they'll do whatever it takes to make people curious enough to go to the dealers.

I have owned a 2009 Sonata. It did have serious problems. In the end the biggest problem was that the great Hyundai warranty proved worthless. I let it go at a mere 33,000 miles because the dealer would not fix anything under warranty. They either denied there was a problem (many dealers do that, not just Hyundai) or the one problem they acknowledged they were too cheap to fix properly, so it recurred soon after the fix, and we were back to the denial. Meanwhile I wasted so much time with them, and was missing a vehicle. Hyundai USA wouldn't help, they just said your dealer will take care of it.

Although some will call me a Hyundai/Kia homer...LOL, here is an aticle to support your claims (with the Sonata) that Hyundai/Kia needs to be even more distinctive to set itself apart. This would point in the direction of the company's continued efforts at establishing credibility.

Link to the article:
http://thekoreancarblog.com/2015/01/20/h...unched-in-2017/

Hyundai to Redesign Sonata After Slow Sales, to be Launched in 2017 - The Korean Car Blog

Article:
After we were writing about Sonata’s slowest sales in the US-market, now and according to Wards Auto, Hyundai accepted the situation and is planning a redesign for the 2015 Sonata, after the model failed to capture midsize sedan buyers’ interest.

“It’s a very handsome vehicle, (but) it’s not as distinctive as the vehicle it (followed),” Dave Zuchowski, Hyundai Motor America CEO, tells WardsAuto in an interview here during the 2015 North American International Auto Show.

The 2015 Sonata, launched last summer (you can take a look into our First Drive and Review articles), has a more bold and premium design but at the same time, is a little bit boring.

The previous generation Sonata YF showed Fluidic Sculpture 1.0 design language and became the automaker’s first model in the U.S. to sell more than 200,000 units in a year.

In April of last year, Zuchowski told media Hyundai didn’t have to “stand on a table” anymore in terms of styling, because it thought it had firmly established itself as a midsize sedan that had become top-of-mind for buyers, in the same way as the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

The Camry and Accord, the No.1 and No.2 best-selling midsize cars in the U.S., never have been known for their flashy exteriors, although Toyota is trying to change that with the Camry’s ’15 refresh.

But Hyundai soon discovered not having a distinctive appearance, and one similar to Camry and Accord’s, resulted in it having to incentivize the new Sonata more than expected to move the car off dealer lots.

Last year’s U.S. sales of the Sonata, 216,936 units, were disappointing to Hyundai, up just 6.5% over 2013.

“If we’re priced comparably, and we appear comparable, it’s always difficult to win that battle with those more well-established, well-entrenched (models),” Zuchowski says.

He notes the new Sonata is selling well with brand loyalists, but Hyundai is not getting the conquest buyers it did with the old model.

“I told the story to our parent company (of driving the old Sonata) home, (and) people were rolling down their window at stop signs, following me, (asking), ‘What is that? Where can I get it?’

“And I don’t get that” with the new one, Zuchowski continues. “That was free advertising, right? People would seek us out because we look different. And we don’t get that now.”

The redesign of the current Sonata will coincide with the car’s midcycle refresh, which should be in the ’17 or ’18 model year. “It’s hard to get anything (done sooner) than midcycle with the tooling involved,” Zuchowski notes, adding Hyundai knows “exactly what we want to do, and we’re busy working on it right now.”

He calls the experience of pulling back on the design of the car an important future lesson for product development. “The more important thing is to understand we always need to keep our styling edge. We can’t let ourselves get closer to the pack.”

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geeman789
You can lease a 2015 Hyundai Equus Ultimate for only $ 1123 a month, zero down... for 3 years, that is over 40 grand ....!

Pretty solid depreciation built into those numbers...

Or lease an S550 which is a better car.

The big Hyundai's are good cars for people who want to spend a lot of money on a nice driving luxury car without the image, think sales people.

If you do a job where you need to or want to project an image a car can say a lot. Pull up in a $20k Mercedes or older RR and get comments, pull up in a $60k Equus or for that matter a pickup and no one cares. My HVAC guy just bought a $70k pickup, no one notices, that same $70k could snag an arrest me red 360 Ferrari, talk about attention. Same money though, its all about perception.

I have been noticing a few of the big Hyundai's in the real estate world popping up pretty frequently.

If they upped their game and cars a bit more they might really start pirating Lexus sales.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Maybe the upscale buyers need to work in a labor camp for a year to get some reality back in their lives so they don't expect a latte and a financial lap dance when they buy a freaking car.

My understanding is that Hyundai made the conscious decision to not have a luxury brand spinoff versus just marketing the resultant cars to that same upscale demographic. May or may not turn into a wise decision but then again these models aren't produced in high numbers.

From my experience with three local Hyundai dealers, they ( like most dealerships ) vary widely in the brand of sales chimp and finance managers that they employ. The dealership where I bought my car seemed to have dedicated reps to these cars that DID operate in a different manner than the quota chimps. I can assume that this might differ by dealership, region, socioeconomics, and a few other differentiators...but I'm sure the guy selling the used '98 Daihatsu and the 2015 Equus might be the same person at some dealerships.

I bought my car with the expectation that car dealers are mostly trash and to have a commensurate expectation which was ultimately unfounded as this was one of the easiest car buying experience that I can remember. No hyped up "Internet Sales Manager" needing to redo the numbers a fourth time, no finance manager selling me lojack and every coating and electronic prophylactic that they could build into the car, etc.

What do you do for a living? I'm guessing its pretty far from sales.

So I guess our 2003 XD Elantra is an Anti-Lemon Hyundai, having a near-flawless 220k miles on it? LOL! I highly doubt it's a rare exception or a fluke.

Hyundais are pretty nice cars, nowadays. I'll be seriously considering one next time I need a car.

Good grief-a lot of posts about Hyundai cars?!? So they're trying to move to high end. Well, most 'rich guys' I've known(mostly all dead now) didn't drive 'rich guy cars' anyway-their wives usually did tho. Now the 'rich guy cars' seem mostly driven by guys trying to look like rich guys. So I don't know how the sales/marketing guys sell to that group! I like the posts from fellas that work on cars-their words mean the most to me. I've never had a 'lemon' or car with a major failure-over many brands-so I don't overly praise or dam one or another as they've all given me good service-BUT I don't beat on them or under maintain them. When I see how many people drive and that lots of folks don't care to do anything for maintenance, comments on vehicle quality and reliability have limited value to me. I have an '05 Elantra hatchback for running around and a timing belt, battery, tires, front brake pads and lots of fluids are it=just about like the other brands I've had over 45 years.

ill weigh in here on the topic. My friend has bought a new Optima and a new sonata in the past 4 years. Both of those cars were outstandingly reliable for him.

Another friend of the family who used to only buy pontiac cars before they stopped making them has started buying Sonatas. He and his wife are both successful entrepreneurs that can easily afford high end cars, but he swears that for the money there is not a better car than the Sonata.

I have driven my friends cars. a 2011 sonata and a 2014 optima, and i was impressed by both vehicles. They have certainly come a long way in the last 10 years. From a reliability standpoint i believe they are just as good as anything on the road. They drive well, but they aren't as refined as a similar Accord, or Nissan maxima. I would put them at an even tie with the Camry in the refinement department.

I think they are worth the money, but i don't know if i will personally ever buy one. I think if i was shopping for a midsize car i would buy an Accord Sport, Mazda 6, or a new Malibu.

Last edited:
Weren't people laughing back in the day at Honda and Toyota?
Werent Mercedes and BMW buyers laughing at Lexus?

Personally I think Hyundai cars are on par with everything else. I don't care what they did in the past, it's the present lineup that matters to me and Hyundai will definitely be considered for my next purchase.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Good grief-a lot of posts about Hyundai cars?!? So they're trying to move to high end. Well, most 'rich guys' I've known(mostly all dead now) didn't drive 'rich guy cars' anyway-their wives usually did tho. Now the 'rich guy cars' seem mostly driven by guys trying to look like rich guys. So I don't know how the sales/marketing guys sell to that group! I like the posts from fellas that work on cars-their words mean the most to me. I've never had a 'lemon' or car with a major failure-over many brands-so I don't overly praise or dam one or another as they've all given me good service-BUT I don't beat on them or under maintain them. When I see how many people drive and that lots of folks don't care to do anything for maintenance, comments on vehicle quality and reliability have limited value to me. I have an '05 Elantra hatchback for running around and a timing belt, battery, tires, front brake pads and lots of fluids are it=just about like the other brands I've had over 45 years.

+1 all brands work pretty well for majority of folks. I will state the "rich" folks($300k-$500k income) I know do not drive Hyundai for whatever reason. Honda, Subaru, Toyota and GM(Suburban) fill those slots in loaded to the hilt models. Occasionally the wife drives a "luxury" image vehicle like BMW 3/5 series, Audi A4 or Acura. I live adjacent to a neighborhood of lawyers, doctors, surgeons, dentists, major car dealer owners and software IPO founders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back