Anyone else having a good lol at Hyundai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Hyundai. The '08 Accent has 115k miles and nothing but an axle seal leaking, fixed for free. The Genesis Coupe was the best bang for the buck in 2010. Hasn't been to the dealer yet at 65k though it has a recall waiting on it, the Accent does too for that matter.

I also have two a 09 santafe with the 3.3 only problem was a bad wheel bearing.brakes tires and a new battery this winter. 60000 miles. a new 2015 sonata that has almost 3000 miles on it.no complaints so far.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

They already have contracted with Lotus for the new sedan. It is a light year forward of anything else they make...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-hyundai-genesis-50-test-review

Lotus put their name on some turds in the past like Isuzu Impulse, Delorean, Dodge Spirit R/T. It is just a name that looks neat but not always successful.

As best I recall, in it's day, the Impulse was fairly well thought of, both in it's styling and driving dynamics.

Back OT, when I had my used car interests, you metaphorically could not give away a used Hyundai or Kia. They were as close to worthless as you could get. They may be better now, but they literally could not possibly have gotten any worse.

The styling on some of their recent models has been quite nice. Probably the best of the Far East manufacturers, save for Holden and Ford Australia.

Like i said Hyundai makes great vehicles with oneof the best warranties but the days of buying them cheap stopped around 2009 these days they are top dollar. I think they are great vehicles we seldome see one at my engine shop.. The Hyundai company seems to honor their warranties nicely, I know someone who has a 2008 santa fe that had a transmission leak at 95,000 miles and they replaced the transmission with a rebuilt, it took them a week to get the trans but cost them nothing at all.

Ahh Hyundai, the company that thinks that people buy BMW bcs of leg room in back seat. Company that apparently still did not figured out how to make sure drivers have ANY kind of feedback on steering wheel.
And plastic? I think Russian Lada has better plastic.

EDYVW

I guess that's why April sales were a record for them-

Hyundai’s U.S. sales rose 2.9 percent to 68,009 last month, setting an April record, the company said in a Twitter posting. Some analysts had projected a decline for Hyundai.

Link here-http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/detroit-3-nissan-hyundai-rack-sales-april

And VW needs to spend as much as Hyundai to move their cars...incentive wise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
EDYVW

I guess that's why April sales were a record for them-

Hyundai’s U.S. sales rose 2.9 percent to 68,009 last month, setting an April record, the company said in a Twitter posting. Some analysts had projected a decline for Hyundai.

Link here-http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/detroit-3-nissan-hyundai-rack-sales-april

And VW needs to spend as much as Hyundai to move their cars...incentive wise.

Hmmm, I do not think I was talking about sales. Car culture of certain country also resembles sales. American manufacturers always knew how to make pick-up trucks, on other hand, handling of American cars was always subject of good jokes. Japanese always knew how to make simple reliable car, Germans always knew how to make car that handles and brakes good, goes 155mph and still gets decent mpg, but also to make car that makes you learn how car works in order to maintain properly, otherwise you are screwed.
Where Koreans fit there? We will see, they are all over the road. They claim they compete with BMW, they want to compete with Toyota, but still fail to figure out how to purchase good plastic or have ANY kind of steering feel (to repeat myself).
What VW needs to do to meet those numbers? probably make boring car that requires dino oil instead of synthetic, poor brakes that you would be able to buy in Auto Zone any time you go there, have huge cup holders so you can fit 20oz soda and enough space to fit double cheeseburger next to transmission. Sorry, but then VW would not be VW.
I always find interesting that main complaint about European cars are cup holders. Well, when you drive car that can do 155mph (designed and engineered in country where 155mph is legal and people actually drive that fast) there is no time for coffee, 20oz sodas, cheeseburgers and lackluster steering feel, brakes etc. Why in the U.S. one Camry outsold's Passat 10 to 1 or even more is very good question, which I think tells more about driving habits and what people look in cars, and not about quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
They claim they compete with BMW, they want to compete with Toyota, but still fail to figure out how to purchase good plastic

BMW certainly hasn't figured out how to purchase good plastic either, judging by all the cooling system failures.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They claim they compete with BMW, they want to compete with Toyota, but still fail to figure out how to purchase good plastic

BMW certainly hasn't figured out how to purchase good plastic either, judging by all the cooling system failures.
smile.gif

Hmmm, I think culprit is somewhere else. When BMW figures out what it is, then others (Toyota?) will start using it, as usual.

Yes how dare fat, lazy Americans not appreciate the importance of high maintenance costs and bad reliability. Bunch of morons, really.

Hmmm, I think culprit is somewhere else. When BMW figures out what it is, then others (Toyota?) will start using it, as usual.

The others have already figured out how to make cooling systems last. I like BMW, but they can certainly learn a thing or two from Toyota and others.

The others have already figured out how to make cooling systems last. I like BMW, but they can certainly learn a thing or two from Toyota and others.

They can always go back to good ole water pump, not electric, but hey, 245hp and 37-40mpg does not sound bad?
They will figure out, like they always do. Toyota will have same system, when Germans figure out how it works without problems.
Same like turbo engines, it took Toyota only 20 yrs to catch up. Like they say: it is easy to be general after the battle.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Weren't people laughing back in the day at Honda and Toyota?
Werent Mercedes and BMW buyers laughing at Lexus?

No one laughed at the LS400. It scared the [censored] out of everyone, Mercedes spent a billion dollars designing the W140 in response.

The Japanese fired two moon shots in the 80's, the NSX and the LS400. We can thank them for better luxury cars, and better Italian exotics.

I suspect many sleepless nights were spent in Germany and Italy when those came out.

They were laughing at Lexus and Infiniti months leading up to the introduction of LS400 and Q45, but they cried days/weeks after. There wasn't any BMW and MB car that can compete with either LS400 and Q45 that didn't cost more than 40-50% more. These 2 cars redefined the luxury sedan and Aura NSX redefined the exotic car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

They were laughing at Lexus and Infiniti months leading up to the introduction of LS400 and Q45, but they cried days/weeks after. There wasn't any BMW and MB car that can compete with either LS400 and Q45 that didn't cost more than 40-50% more. These 2 cars redefined the luxury sedan and Aura NSX redefined the exotic car.

Very true. The W140 was not a response to the Lexus, but had in fact been the works for several years. The German's underestimated the threat posed by Lexus & spent many years trying to defend their market. Lexus marketing prevailed over German engineering.

Wonder how many 1st gen LS400 owners realize that many aspects of that car were a lightweight copy of the outgoing w126 chassis?

Last edited:

They can always go back to good ole water pump, not electric, but hey, 245hp and 37-40mpg does not sound bad?
They will figure out, like they always do. Toyota will have same system, when Germans figure out how it works without problems.
Same like turbo engines, it took Toyota only 20 yrs to catch up. Like they say: it is easy to be general after the battle.

Remember the good old coolant system of the 70's and before ? It was a closed system without reservoir, then someone invented the reservoir and everybody use it (with paying for patent). The reservoir was a simple non-pressure plastic bottle, and it worked extremely well.

Many companies tried to redesign the perfect coolant system with pressurized reservoir(some called it expansion tank), and problems started to pop up after 5-10 years of use. The LS400 pressurized expansion tank cracked after 7-8 years, BMW and MB had problem with pressurized expansion tank too and other manufactures had problems with coolant system using pressurized reservoir.

Honda didn't follow anyone, they keeps it simple by using non-pressured plastic reservoir as everybody did 40 years ago.

Simple and low cost is a perfect solution for some systems, if it works leave it alone don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Remember the good old coolant system of the 70's and before ? It was a closed system without reservoir, then someone invented the reservoir and everybody use it (with paying for patent). The reservoir was a simple non-pressure plastic bottle, and it worked extremely well.

Many companies tried to redesign the perfect coolant system with pressurized reservoir(some called it expansion tank), and problems started to pop up after 5-10 years of use. The LS400 pressurized expansion tank cracked after 7-8 years, BMW and MB had problem with pressurized expansion tank too and other manufactures had problems with coolant system using pressurized reservoir.

Honda didn't follow anyone, they keeps it simple by using non-pressured plastic reservoir as everybody did 40 years ago.

Simple and low cost is a perfect solution for some systems, if it works leave it alone don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Fords use the pressurized tank. And it would crack. Hyundai still uses the old fashioned vented overflow tanks.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Fords use the pressurized tank. And it would crack. Hyundai still uses the old fashioned vented overflow tanks.

not on all engines though.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

not on all engines though.

Both of mine are the old style. I was actually thinking of going to the pressurized tank on the Gen Coupe.

On my Ford Tauruses once you replaced the OEM tank with the aftermarket ones there never was a problem with the tank cracking.

The advantage of the old fashioned overflow reservoir is if you remove it the coolant system is still working without problem. You only need to check the coolant level in the radiator by removing the cap when the engine is cold, just like it was done 40+ years ago.

If the pressurized expansion tank failed the coolant system doesn't work anymore and you may get overheating. What are the advantages of pressurized expansion tank over non-pressured reservoir ?

Like I said, if a system worked perfectly for many many years why reinvent it and make it worse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back