Anybody remember Wynn's "Charge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all familiar with STP, but do any of you remember a product called Charge, made by Wynn's Oil Company? I was working in a gas station in the middle 60s when I came across this product. Its film strength was amazing! If you were to take a flat blade screwdriver and dip just the corner of the tip into STP and then pull the screwdriver upward, the string of lubricant would come out about 12" or so and then break. If you did the same thing with the Charge, you could pull the string out almost forever! I'm talking 10 or 12 feet or more. It was almost like a spider web. I haven't seen this product for sale in years so I'm wondering if it is still being manufactured.

I remember seeing the Wynn's stickers on muscle car windows when I was a kid. Never tried it.
(and, yes, I'm old enough to have used paper oil cans in my own car)

....Wonder what ever happened to it?....

I used to use a lot of Wynn's 'Friction Proofing' oil additive in my cars. Still believe their 'Engine Tune Up' is a good product....

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I remember seeing the Wynn's stickers on muscle car windows when I was a kid. Never tried it.
(and, yes, I'm old enough to have used paper oil cans in my own car)

I've still got a few shove-in spouts for old oil cans. I miss old oil cans.... until I need to store a half-used one. Then plastic bottles start to look a whole lot better.

I got a couple still full:

DSC01121.jpg

Nice picture, and just like one of my spouts.

I wish I had one of the old funnels with a can opener built into an inner annulus. You just put the funnel in the engine, hooked the can on the opener and punched a few holes in the side, then the hook held the can while it drained The owner of the old Enco station my Dad always used had one of those, made out of HEAVY sheet metal. It looked about 30 years old back in the late 60s.

When we were cleaning out my granddad's garage in the early 70s we threw away (!) several cans of 40s-50's vintage Gulf and Kayo oil, plus a tub of old axle grease that looked and smelled about like un-refined crude-oil sludge (it probably dated from the era of WAGON axles... Collecting old oil cans as memorabilia hadn't caught on back then.

Thanks.
That funnel sounds pretty rare. But now that I know they did exist, I have an excuse to hit the flee markets and antique malls looking for one

Well the top of the can says "API Services SF, SE" so it must date back to about 1988 or before.
It's tempting sometimes to open it just to see if the oil is still a golden color or old and nasty looking...It still feels nice and fluid when you slosh the can.

I stopped using Valvoline in the 70's IIRC, they used those containers long before 1988 I think, and before API SE. I'm sure a Valvoline historian will chime in and help us out with the dates they used that container.

I have some SE Mobil 1 10W30 and 15W50, looks the same as it always did, nothing settled out. They were using silver plastic bottles similar to what they're using today for the API SE oil. When in doubt shake it up. I'll use it up in the mower, and for top up oil, and be done with it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back