Any Sprint Hold-outs?

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
We brought our own devices to Sprint (from the devil Verizon) a couple of years ago and have been happy with our (no contract) service for the most part. Our coverage isn’t as good, but we’ve got unlimited data (vice 2GB with Verizon) for cheaper:

$60/month for two lines vice ~$90 for VZW

I’ve installed the T-Mobile Sim, but still sign in online to the Sprint side of things. I’ve tried chatting with customer service, but they’re about worthless.

They couldn’t tell me:

1. How long we’re grand-fathered into our current plan
2. What the benefits are for switching - e.g., will we be able to stream at HD or 4K quality vice DVD 480p with their data plan?

So, any other hold-outs? What are your plans going forward, especially when you need a new phone.

If I’m grand-fathered into my current plan for forever, it’s tough to justify using their phone upgrade plan, no matter the discount, considering I’d be paying more for a T-Mobile plan.

Not Sprint but long time T-Mobile on a plan that i won't ever get back. It got upgraded by T-mobile from 2GB to 4GB then to unlimited data free. 7 lines $25 a person with all the taxes factored in.

They can pry the plan from my cold dead hands.

Not Sprint but long time T-Mobile on a plan that i won't ever get back. It got upgraded by T-mobile from 2GB to 4GB then to unlimited data free. 7 lines $25 a person with all the taxes factored in.

They can pry the plan from my cold dead hands.

I like it. We only use around 20GB/month of data and the lowest offered for T-Mobile‘s Magenta plan is 50, but that may change. When we travel and use Waze our data usage goes way up. I don’t care if they might throttle it. It’s never been a noticeable problem.

What I’m expecting is exactly what happened with VZW when they got rid of all of the old Unlimited plans. We we’re all “upgraded”…Luckily for us we had BB’s back then and used well less than whatever measly amount of data we were saddled with.

One positive change over the years was when they did away with ”every two” year upgrades. If you didn’t upgrade to the free option you were still paying for it in you bill. My VZW bill went down more than the monthly cost nowadays to buy a phone and I was OK with that. Instead of upgrading every two, we plan on keeping our phones for at least 4 years (One more year to go!)

A few years ago we were shopping Cell companies. We went with Sprint only to find out that the service was terrible. No serving at the house and dropped calls all the time.
Sprint? Run!

haha.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Sprint's customer service and the cell signal at our place is as bad as it was with VZW. While traveling, we've noticed no real dead spots that wouldn't have been dead spots with any other carrier (middle of nowhere).

I've also got my work phone, which use VZW, so I can use that in case we run into a true dead spot while in a tight spot!

Our T-Mobile plan has not been offered for quite a few years. One of their reps told me never give it up for a "better plan" because ours is their best deal ever, and as long as I pay my bill it will never go away. Can't beat that.

Still on the same Sprint plan I've had for around 9 years now. Unlimited everything with no throttling, 4 lines, about $50 a month for each. Not giving it up for any reason, especially since my parents live in the country and their phones are their only form of internet. I have them setup so they can tether them to their laptops and use them for their internet. They use over 100GB every month due to this.

We have switched to the new Tmobile SIM cards, which really wasn't any different than the Sprint ones for a while, then the service became worse about a month after switching around where I and my brother live. My service has gotten a little better but my brother seems to still have a lot issues.

I've been with sprint since 2010-ish for unlimited everything. My LG G6 still "works" but in December I'll be kicked out of the network for not having a 5G phone. At that point I'll be switching to tmobile or verizon. Their service has progressively become worse and worse and their phone selection is non-existent.

Not Sprint, but we’re holding onto our T-Mobile One plan for as long as possible. 2 lines of unlimited talk/text/data for $100 “All in” with HD video streaming. Supposedly they’ll slow you down in times of congestion at 50Gb of usage on my plan, but I used over that last month and never noticed any difference.

But I can answer your 2nd question…. The Magenta plan ($120 taxes and fees included a month for 2 lines) “typically” streams at 480p, you also get Netflix basic (1 screen SD) for free. You also get 100Gb of data per line no questions asked, after that they *might* slow you down in times of congestion.

The Magenta Max ($140 a month for 2 lines) will get you 4K streaming, and they’ll never de-prioritize you in times of congestion. You also get Netflix Standard (2 screens in HD) for free.

Last edited:
haha.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Sprint's customer service and the cell signal at our place is as bad as it was with VZW. While traveling, we've noticed no real dead spots that wouldn't have been dead spots with any other carrier (middle of nowhere).

I've also got my work phone, which use VZW, so I can use that in case we run into a true dead spot while in a tight spot!
When is comes to switching to all TMobile, you will not have a choice. Sprint is dead, all sprint will be TMobile someday. I dont know the time table but you may be able to read up on it in the business news.
Interesting question on the "grandfather" thing, I would assume they will honor it but who knows.
TMobile used to be a value provider, I was shocked to see/learn their pricing is now up there with ATT and Verizon. So much for consumer cost savings on another merger.
If you end up on the short end of the stick, you could always get the same service form RedPocket at a lower price.
Two lines for us is actual payment of $50 a month and 3 lines $70. Daughter pays us by the year to stay on our plan.

I pay 85$~~ for 3 lines with 60GB data total.
also sprint and tmob have bad service here.. although I havent had their service since the latest lower frequency band came out.

Where I work there is only service in the front half of the building.. and the wifi is terrible usually under 1Mbit/sec ok for music thats about it.. and not even HQ music.

Verizon and AT&T usually 3 bars or more.

The Sprint store told me the final switch to everything T-Mobil will be after the first of the year and no more Sprint.

The Sprint store told me the final switch to everything T-Mobil will be after the first of the year and no more Sprint.

Seeing the writing on the wall my wife and I transferred everything over to their Magenta Military plan. They also offered us $189 trade-in for our phones + $1600 off two upgrades.

I went in looking for two 13’s, but ended up with a Pro Max for me and a Pro for my wife. Not bad.

Back