Any Saab's worth buying?Is there any reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a crazy a few streets up from me that also runs around in an older 9-5. the only, and i mean only reason to buy one is if you wrench parts yourself.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower

Thanks...That's what I am interested in. What are the best years and models for reliability.

The b205 engines had sludge issues in their early years. This would involve any OG9-3 (2000-2002) and 9-5 (1998-2003). After that the PCV system was updated (now on update 6!!) and that seemed to solve the issues. Using full synthetic oil greatly decreases the sludge issues. In fact, every Saab I have ever owned, the first thing I'd do is drop the oil pan and check/clean the sludge. I run Schaeffer 131 Neutra Fuel Stabilizer in the crankcase for ~100 miles, then drain and clean the sump.

The 9-5 V6 (1999-2002) is known to have oil cooler leaks, which appears as oil in the coolant. A regular mechanic will diagnose this as a leaking head gasket, and advise the owner to dump the car. Replacing the cooler with a Cadillac Catera unit is ~200, and take 2-3 hours.

The automatic transmissions in these cars seem to be very reliable. I believe they are Aisin units. Use appropriate fluid for longevity.

I have not had enough experience with the NG9-3 (2003+). I've heard the V6 in those vehicles is quite good (relative of the GM3600 unit).

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I might consider a Saabaru 9.2x

Boy... I just looked for those. $9000-$7000...People think they have gold.. They seem to cost more than the Subaru
And those cars, when they hit the dealer auctions don't bring that much

Here is a 50k car JF4GG61685H054406
Price:US $6,850.00 (so far-3 days left)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-9-2X-/11162...em=111627184802

Dealer auction
02/20/15 PA Regular $4,800 81,300 Avg BLACK 4GT M Yes
03/05/15 CHICAGO Regular $6,000 81,362 Above GREY 4GT Yes
02/25/15 HAWAII Regular $2,500 92,220 Below TAN 4GT A No
02/26/15 FRDKBURG Regular $5,000 96,323 Avg BLACK 4GT Yes
03/18/15 NJ Regular $4,900 104,508 Avg GREY 4GT 5 Yes
03/18/15 NEW MEX Regular $2,300 157,139 Below RED 4GT M Yes

Note "Above" here is dealer Ft Line ready to sell.
Avg is good

Last edited:
So are you a used car dealer?

I used to research those prices too.. Then I realized that unless you're the dealer you're going to have to add 2-3k on top of auction prices.. As an example, the auction house tacks on another $500 to that price even before the car leaves their lot.

You might be better off looking on CL for pricing data..

No I'm not. I used to work for several dealers over the years.

I use these as a guide to not paying drastically too much.
In all cases, I have paid the same, less or 1000 more except prior to my divorce when I still had money.
Then once I paid 2,000 more. 34,000 on a 20k 87 Ferrari Mondial from a dealer in Miami (he paid 32,000) Many dealers were asking 40's
And once I paid 1500 more on a MB E320.

Any more than that I move on...either don't buy or find another car.
Many times you can find a small dealer to take you to these for 500-750 bucks.

btw....I could not find one 92x on CL in 4 major cities.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Well, there is the 9-2X (a rebadged Impreza wagon)

I don't know if you saw the prices above but it seems the Impreza wagon is cheaper.
Like the Pontiac Vibe is more than the Toyota Matrix....Strange

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Like the Pontiac Vibe is more than the Toyota Matrix....Strange

I haven't found this to be the case. Vibes do seem to be cheaper or the same price than the equivalent Matrix.

Hello, We have 4 Saabs in the family.
'99 9-5 SE
'02 9-5 Linear wagon
'05 9-5 Aero wagon
'02 9-3 (2.0L)
All but the 9-3 have the 4 cyl. (2.3L)
Parts are ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM
Don't change the oil...get sludge People are bad car maintainers
Change the oil....no sludge.
HIGHLY RELIABLE. SUPER SAFE Buy one with confidence.

I could go on. Stick with the 4. The V-6 is a good engine but unnecessary. It was added because people are stupid and want the illusion of power. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira

I'm sure URO and Lemforder have decent coverage of 9-3 and early 9-5 mechanical parts, but I wouldn't make that a blanket statement for all Saabs. The latest models had super low production numbers, and almost non-existent sales in the US. That can become a big headache as the car ages, especially with crash and trim parts.

I wonder if any of the former Saab dealers in the US even have functional catalogs still? GM still had Saab in their catalogs up until last year, but when they updated the catalogs for 2015, they took Saab away.

Definitely avoid the 97X (Saab Trailblazer). I haven't seen one with a functional air suspension in a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, We have 4 Saabs in the family.
'99 9-5 SE
'02 9-5 Linear wagon
'05 9-5 Aero wagon
'02 9-3 (2.0L)
All but the 9-3 have the 4 cyl. (2.3L)
Don't change the oil...get sludge People are bad car maintainers
Change the oil....no sludge.
HIGHLY RELIABLE. SUPER SAFE Buy one with confidence.

I could go on. Stick with the 4. The V-6 is a good engine but unnecessary. It was added because people are stupid and want the illusion of power. Kira

Thanks. It may be a non issue but after my 97 Kia was worn out in 113,000 and would not pass smog I wonder about the 4's. It was rings or valve guides. (I made out very well as it was a 900 car and I got 3 years with no repairs, then state bought it for 1500 to "retire") Ca been berry berry good to me

I wonder if the 4's have to work too hard.

Last edited:
Saab had a lot going for it. With the 9-3 they almost completely re-engineered the Epsilon platform. Really thick pillars and more rigidity. It's hard to believe that it is the same platform as the Malibu and G6.

But they have electrical gremlins.

Lots of buggy little electrical problems that are a pain to fix and often require GM Tech 2 software to "marry" the new part.

It's a brilliantly engineered front drive car with a pain in the bottom electrical system.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've always wondered if the Saabaru 92x models were any more or less reliable than the Impreza it is based off of.

They came off the same assembly line as Impreza/WRX and reality were another trim level. There were distinct differences that made them much nicer IMHO like 200lbs of insulation, better ride compliance and an STI steering box in the Aero(aka WRX) version.

Subaru produced the 92x on the same assembly line and the parts are even labeled Subaru on the engine and nearly everywhere a customer does not see easily in a showroom.

I have an 05 9-5 and like it a lot. 04 and up are safer bets as they are less prone to sludge. We have an 06 9-3, too. The 9-5 is the better car.

I have a 2003 9-5 and I also maintain my step-son's 2006 "Saabaru" 9-2x. rjundi is correct, the 9-2x is really just a trim level for the Subaru Impreza. A lot of times I can't find parts for the 9-2x when using an online lookup tool, but if I look for a 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5 instead I find what I need.

I think the Saab 9-5 with the 2.3L engine is a fantastic car. They tend to be a bit maintenance intensive. I would say that Saab owners tend to be more DIY than other car owners. No doubt their orphan status helps make them cheap, but parts are generally plentiful.

One thing that is fun about the 2.3L engine is the potential for power. A buddy of mine has a 9-5 whose engine is modified to Stage 5 with about 285 hp at the wheels via dyno. It was totally rebuilt with forged pistons, TD04-19T turbo, Aeromotive fuel pump with Deka injectors, etc. The car looks like a sleeper but he absolutely blows away stock Mustang GTs and even BMW M3s on the open road. The 9-5 is a heavy car, and with front wheel drive it's not going to win a lot of drag races, but from 30 MPH+ it's hard to beat.

My brother had a 2000 9-5 wagon. It was one of the most problematic cars I've ever seen. Blown turbo, constant ignition cassette issues. Even changing the serp. belt on that was was a major PITA. Steer clear.

I have read this thread carefully and come to the conclusion, that there is no one conclusion that can be had from a careful reading of this thread.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
I have read this thread carefully and come to the conclusion, that there is no one conclusion that can be had from a careful reading of this thread.

smile.gif

Benny Hill to the girl "Is it true when you say no, you really mean yes"
Girl. No
Benny...confused look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back