any new wax/sealant better than Collinite 845

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am close to my annual waxing of my truck. My go to wax is 845. Are any of the new products I hear about any better? Looking for durability rather than a super shine.

I have Klasse twins on both of my cars, first time application. Everyone has told me not to worry through NYC winter. I will be able to give an answer coming spring on how it performed. The sealant application is a little tricky, must follow a specific method if you don't want streaks, but if you do that, its very easy to apply. I am a newbie, never detailed my car before and it turned out very well.

Fusso coat also worked for me.

Not super shine but it lasted +12 months (as advertised), and great water beading, but i don't drive on bad weather and the car is always super clean, so maybe on a harsh environment i am not so sure it would have lasted that long.

I used the old formula, i think there is a new one around.

Klasse is not new. Good but old as the hills. Like nu-finish old.

your 845 is a very good wax.

Last edited:
I also like Klasse AIO / Klasse Sealant Glaze combo for a winter sealant, very durable stuff, but time consuming to properly apply. I only use it nowadays for my last application before winter sets in and I can't really properly wash my car again again till spring. Not a fan of it anymore for summer since there are other products that are easier to apply and offer more gloss and slickness. Besides I usually don't go more than 6 weeks in the nice months before I reapply my sealant. My though process on this is why worry about how long its going to last since a lot of products now can be reapplied in 15 minutes or less.

There are lots of coatings that will outlast 845. Any ceramic coating (except cheap counterfeit knock-offs) will outlast any traditional paste wax that has carnuba as a main ingredient. CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0 is a "ceramic" coating that is probably your best bang for the buck.

If you look at this thread here and watch the referenced videos, you'll see that a guy has some ongoing tests for several years. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5244429/youtube-finish-test#Post5244429 The tests are conducted in a pretty fair and unbiased way with only one main execution flaw that stands out. Still though, I feel his results are mostly valid. In short, because the sun rises and sets and hits the test panel at an angle, he should rotate the panel once a week or so. Also, no test can claim good accuracy with just one test event. Finally, it's very possible that some coatings/waxes work better on different kinds of clearcoat. That said, this guy has done a good job of producing some decent data.

Anyhow traditional waxes last 2-4 months and most ceramics last a year or more. I've been a great fan of Collinite 845 and 476 for at least 7-8 years. I prefer old fashioned waxes over coatings but, If I decide to go with a ceramic coating some day, it will be CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0. Until (or if) I decide to switch, I'll do a double coat of Collinite before winter hits.

FWIW, I'm thinking about using a ceramic coating but, they have some non-trivial down-sides.

Ray

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
I am close to my annual waxing of my truck. My go to wax is 845. Are any of the new products I hear about any better? Looking for durability rather than a super shine.

I just waxed my truck yesterday with Collinite 845, which has been my preferred wax for many years now. It wasn't the ideal weather to do it in (chilly 11c) but taking the chance more preferable weather is on the horizon wasn't a chance I wanted to take.

Imo, using this wax for years has proven to me it lasts a good 5-6 months easily which will get me through the winter.

I do have some Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish that I may also put on top in a few days/week if the weather cooperates but, from what I have read, it is recommended that it goes on first, or under the wax, not on top?

Regardless, I still think it will do something?

The best part about Collinite 845 is so fast, and easy to use. I can wax a car start to finish in 20 minutes if I want, but I usually take a slower pace, and then it never takes more than a hour to wax even a truck. Wipe on, wipe off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irv

I just waxed my truck yesterday with Collinite 845, which has been my preferred wax for many years now. It wasn't the ideal weather to do it in (chilly 11c) but taking the chance more preferable weather is on the horizon wasn't a chance I wanted to take.

Imo, using this wax for years has proven to me it lasts a good 5-6 months easily which will get me through the winter.

I do have some Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish that I may also put on top in a few days/week if the weather cooperates but, from what I have read, it is recommended that it goes on first, or under the wax, not on top?

I've pretty-much found the same think as you but I tend to low-ball the effective duration a bit. Collinite 845, 476 and 915 are all basically the same with varying levels of Carnuba wax and synthetic compounds. The carnuba tends to lose it's shine but it still repels water for a long time after that. I've also learned that different people have different preparation and application techniques and it might not last as long for them. If you wait a day and apply a second coat, it solidly lasts all winter.

Also, some people like to use a sealer first and a top coat of wax. -Also a very effective combination. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtILoTKSXq8

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by irv

I've pretty-much found the same think as you but I tend to low-ball the effective duration a bit. Collinite 845, 476 and 915 are all basically the same with varying levels of Carnuba wax and synthetic compounds. The carnuba tends to lose it's shine but it still repels water for a long time after that. I've also learned that different people have different preparation and application techniques and it might not last as long for them. If you wait a day and apply a second coat, it solidly lasts all winter.

Also, some people like to use a sealer first and a top coat of wax. -Also a very effective combination. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtILoTKSXq8

I think that was the vid where I realized the sealant should go on first and the wax second? I like Pan's video's. He seems very knowledgeable and he is very informative.

Truthfully, I have never done 2 coats of 845, always just one and then 5-6 months later I redo it again. I have read, because of the ingredients in 845, that doing 2 coats relatively close together (after 24+ hours) you are just basically removing the first coat due to the petroleum products in it?

Your vid, and my previous thoughts make me wonder if applying the UFF is just a waste of time/product? I did my wife's and son's car this year and applied the UFF "after" it was waxed with 845 about a week+ later after a wash and, imo, it seemed to make the cars pop even more. My eyes aren't what they use to be but both vehicles looked very good after and I noticed, with the UFF on top of the wax, dust and pollen didn't stick like I was use too.

I still need to put a coat of wax on my wife's car, which I am hoping to do tomorrow but with rain coming Saturday night/all day Sunday, I don't know if my efforts will just be a waste of time?

Any idea how long the UFF should cure for? I am thinking I may do it first, like it's recommended, then hopefully be able to put a coat of 845 on next week on top of the UFF?

Thanks for the info/vid.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by irv

I think that was the vid where I realized the sealant should go on first and the wax second? I like Pan's video's. He seems very knowledgeable and he is very informative.

Truthfully, I have never done 2 coats of 845, always just one and then 5-6 months later I redo it again. I have read, because of the ingredients in 845, that doing 2 coats relatively close together (after 24+ hours) you are just basically removing the first coat due to the petroleum products in it?

Your vid, and my previous thoughts make me wonder if applying the UFF is just a waste of time/product? I did my wife's and son's car this year and applied the UFF "after" it was waxed with 845 about a week+ later after a wash and, imo, it seemed to make the cars pop even more. My eyes aren't what they use to be but both vehicles looked very good after and I noticed, with the UFF on top of the wax, dust and pollen didn't stick like I was use too.

I still need to put a coat of wax on my wife's car, which I am hoping to do tomorrow but with rain coming Saturday night/all day Sunday, I don't know if my efforts will just be a waste of time?

Any idea how long the UFF should cure for? I am thinking I may do it first, like it's recommended, then hopefully be able to put a coat of 845 on next week on top of the UFF?

Thanks for the info/vid.
cheers3.gif

All the ceramic (i.e."silicone based nano-coating") product instructions seem to recommend 24-48 hours before applying any other sealer, wax product or exposure to rain etc. For traditional waxes and polymer sealers, 24 hours is plenty of time to let the wax harden and/or solvents evaporate.

845 contains the most amount of solvent. If you rub firmly, you will notice it loosens dirt in any area that's not perfectly clean. It stands to reason that solvents could lift anything below it... That's my story/theory -and I'm sticking to it
grin2.gif

Ray

[/quote]

Thanks for the info/vid.
cheers3.gif
[/quote]

All the ceramic (i.e."silicone based nano-coating") product instructions seem to recommend 24-48 hours before applying any other sealer, wax product or exposure to rain etc. For traditional waxes and polymer sealers, 24 hours is plenty of time to let the wax harden and/or solvents evaporate.

845 contains the most amount of solvent. If you rub firmly, you will notice it loosens dirt in any area that's not perfectly clean. It stands to reason that solvents could lift anything below it... That's my story/theory -and I'm sticking to it
grin2.gif

Ray[/quote]

With the rain they are calling for Saturday night into Sunday morning, it doesn't look I'l get anything wash/wax related completed this weekend. The weather we have been having lately, (rain/cold/windy) sure has put me behind.

Thanks again for the info.
cheers3.gif

I don't use any coatings that will discolor rubber or plastics. I have considered Collinite in the past but have had great results from the current regimen so no need to change at this point. I typically use Optimum No Rinse and Optimum Spray Wax. In Florida its pretty extreme and this system seems to work extremely well. I use the Optimum Spray Wax on my boat too and its slick. I am a big fan of polymer.

Adams Polishes sent me a ceramic coating and I applied that to the 2014 Tacoma. The beading on it is unreal. After a few months I will top it with the Optimum Spray Wax, however, doing so decreases the effectiveness of the ceramic coatings beading abilities.

In the past we used Klasse and I still like that coating.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
I don't use any coatings that will discolor rubber or plastics. I have considered Collinite in the past but have had great results from the current regimen so no need to change at this point. I typically use Optimum No Rinse and Optimum Spray Wax. In Florida its pretty extreme and this system seems to work extremely well. I use the Optimum Spray Wax on my boat too and its slick. I am a big fan of polymer.

Adams Polishes sent me a ceramic coating and I applied that to the 2014 Tacoma. The beading on it is unreal. After a few months I will top it with the Optimum Spray Wax, however, doing so decreases the effectiveness of the ceramic coatings beading abilities.

In the past we used Klasse and I still like that coating.

I see you like Toyotas!

Originally Posted by 007
Finish Kare FK1000, pure synthetic and last a longgggggg time especially on vehicles stored outside.

+1

I love FK1000 It seems to last a couple years for me. I generally top it periodically with Finish Care 425 Detailer.

Last edited:
Yes, very much. Started back in 1985. Before that it was strictly GM and bash Toyota as garbage. Now its nothing but Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back