Any filter brands still made in the USA?

I bought a wix filter last year, 5040..from Levine auto,city North of me.only local place that sells wix. Looked last night,box says mann&hummel, made in usa.

I recently installed an STP Extended Life oil filter from Autozone on my car. The filter canister itself was stamped Made in USA. I believe STP filters are manufactured by Champion.

All of my WIX oil filters are made in USA. One of the air filters is made in Poland.

^^^^Champion Labs.

Makers of Royal Purple, Amsoil, and the "auto/light truck" line of Donaldson filters (DBL).

All are the same wire-backed, white synthetic media inside.
I don't think we know if the media is the same, even if whomever is putting the can together is.

AMSOIL claims to use the Donaldson Synteq media, Royal Purple doesn't. The Fleetguard FL-1A equivalent is physically identical to the Donaldson, but they have different efficiency ratings, as does the AMSOIL (Donaldson is 99% @ 22 microns). The DBL Donaldson filters are 99% at 15 microns.

Can't go wrong with any of them, really.
All are in the "Top 5 best oil filters made" for that class/size - - pick which ever one is cheapest and be happy.

Fram XP generally wins due to "ease of availability" and price.

I don't see any point in going out of one's way to spend $5-$10 more and see no real benefit.

Can't go wrong with any of them, really.
All are in the "Top 5 best oil filters made" for that class/size - - pick which ever one is cheapest and be happy.

Fram XP generally wins due to "ease of availability" and price.

I don't see any point in going out of one's way to spend $5-$10 more and see no real benefit.
My 1979 F 150 with a 300 ci 6 cyl had normal compression and oil pressure when I sold it at 350,000 miles to a friend that wanted it , running Fram orange cans or Motorcraft filters . Sure for a few more dollars we can get "better " filters but what does it buy us besides feeling good about nothing.

Last edited:
My 1979 F 150 with a 300 ci 6 cyl had normal compression and oil pressure when I sold it at 350,000 miles to a friend that wanted it , running Fram orange cans or Motorcraft filters . Sure for a few more dollars we can get "better " filters but what does it buy us besides feeling good about nothing.
Same.
I used to obsess over "getting the best" .. not any more.

My newest (to me) F350 with a 5.8 (351W) was "fleet maintained" with the lowest cost oil & filters obtainable from local area jobber contract (never "premium" or "synthetic" ANYTHING with regards to oil and filters) and the way it runs with as many miles as it has, you'd swear it's been running Fram XG2's and Mobil 1 its whole life..... which it hasn't.

^^^^Champion Labs.

Makers of Royal Purple, Amsoil, and the "auto/light truck" line of Donaldson filters (DBL).

All are the same wire-backed, white synthetic media inside.

And in turn Champion Labs is owned by First Brands who also owns Fram. They also own Raybestos, Autolite, Centric, Carter, Anco and a few others.

And in turn Champion Labs is owned by First Brands who also owns Fram. They also own Raybestos, Autolite, Centric, Carter, Anco and a few others.
and the question is, does First Brands just own these companies and suck off the profit tit?
There are three options a owner can take:
-Leave the company alone, and shave off the profit with little reforms.
-Totally restructure said company and shave every penny, ending up with shut doors and slave labor in China. Eventually selling the name as a "brand" of cheap stuff.
-Throw massive amounts of investment into the company because there is a future, market growth. Grow market share, brand value, company culture.

It seem strange that they would buy ANOTHER filter company? Why would they buy Champ Labs if they got Fram? Either they got a killer deal on Champ, or they intend to merge or kill one!

If I recall correctly, Fram operations were taken over by Trico which is under First Brands (the mother/owner of all those brands listed).

^^^^^^ Fram was purchased by Trico from Rank Group. Later Trico rebranded (changed it's name) to First Brands at same time it acquired Champ Labs and Brake Parts Inc.

and the question is, does First Brands just own these companies and suck off the profit tit?
There are three options a owner can take:
-Leave the company alone, and shave off the profit with little reforms.
-Totally restructure said company and shave every penny, ending up with shut doors and slave labor in China. Eventually selling the name as a "brand" of cheap stuff.
-Throw massive amounts of investment into the company because there is a future, market growth. Grow market share, brand value, company culture.

It seem strange that they would buy ANOTHER filter company? Why would they buy Champ Labs if they got Fram? Either they got a killer deal on Champ, or they intend to merge or kill one!

We are starting to see the changes now with filters. Changes in media for example as FB consolidates contracts. It’s not something that will happen overnight.

Back