Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
I wouldt own a new diesel if you GAVE it to me. I would pay a premium to NOT get a diesel...the potential for heart-stopping repair bills is just too much.

What engines are you basing this statement on?

Anything with the Bosch CP4 series injector pump...that is, the Vw TDI, the new Duramax, and the Ford 6.7 PowerStroke. Each and every one is a hand grenade with the pin pulled...and the bill when the pump grenades can top $15,000. (Thats not a typo.)

Back on topic, what are the odds of Chrysler getting this resolved before the 2013 Wranglers roll off the line? That's my main concern, the odds of a diesel Wrangler hitting US shores anytime soon are slim to none.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Anything with the Bosch CP4 series injector pump...that is, the Vw TDI, the new Duramax, and the Ford 6.7 PowerStroke. Each and every one is a hand grenade with the pin pulled...and the bill when the pump grenades can top $15,000. (Thats not a typo.)
Get a new engine?

Not quite. When the pump grenades on an F250, the fix is replacing the pump...and the ENTIRE fuel system! Pump (something like $3000), all the lines, the fuel tank, all eight injectors (at close to $700 a whack), plus about 25 hours of labor.

Bonus: Ford refuses to warranty it. regardless of proof to the contrary, they will blame the owner for buying bad fuel and stick him with the bill.

Diesel power has jumped the shark.

It still looks like they have the build dates for these problem engines isolated, but I still have some doubt. Boy I'd hate to scrap the idea of buying the 2013 Wrangler. Tearing open a new engine to replace 1 head on a V type engine is not a comforting feeling for me. JMO
21.gif

I own a 2011 VW Routan minivan with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. In case anyone is not familiar with the VW Routan, it is a relabeled Chrysler Minivan. The VW is built in the same Canadian factory as the Chrysler and Dodge vans. My van has an oil leak, the evidence is on my driveway. The dealer claims he cannot find a leak. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can hunt down this leak? BTW, the oil on my driveway looks like engine oil, it has no color like coolant or trans. fluid. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I recall Chrysler's PS fluid is clear. Could be that.

I was sure that they were still using ATF+4 in their power steering systems. Have they gone to a proprietary fluid just recently?

Thanks. You know it must not be oil, cause the oil spots are not dark. Plus they look like they have white-ish ring at the edge of each drop.

It seems more and more Jeep owners are reporting issues with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. I've been watching threads closely on other boards.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It seems more and more Jeep owners are reporting issues with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. I've been watching threads closely on other boards.

It sounds promising, as a motor, but I think the Pentagram just needs a little more real-world exposure and subsequent revisions before being a true world-engine.

It is all over the Wrangler boards. I can't speak for any of the other boards.

The count of people having the ticking problem, CEL and left cylinder head replacend is mounting on the Jeep boards. I could never understand the logic of replacing one cyl head on a V type engine that has some miles logged on it. As far as I'm concerned that is a half arse way to do a repair. Any head job I ever did, I did both sides. Oh well. I'm now on the sidelines waiting for solid evidence this problem is fixed at the factory level. I hope that happens before the 2013's roll out, but I doubt it. Jeep is saying nothing about the problem.

I started a thread on 300cforums.com to see if any of our new gen 300 owners with the Pstar are having any issues.

I'll report back what I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back