Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'd love to know your source as we have both city and county LEO's driving the new Chargers all over. Most of the city cars are 3.6 and 8 speed autos, and are quite zippy and driver friendly.

I have breakfast with these guys regularly at a small restaurant. You can bet I'll ask some questions.

The Pentastar engine issues are popping up all over the Jeep boards, and just last night I spoke with a mechanic friend who confirmed what I've read.

I'd be interested in what the people you speak with tell you.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'd be very interested in hearing what you find out.

No worry..I will let you know what I hear from the Leos down here in the jungle.

I guess if there is an issue, this will give Chryco an opportunity to show their new and improved service and support.

Also keep in mind that tons of these have been put into service in the last year, and everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet, specially if there is a lot of hype.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I guess if there is an issue, this will give Chryco an opportunity to show their new and improved service and support.

Also keep in mind that tons of these have been put into service in the last year, and everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet, specially if there is a lot of hype.

From what I've read the issue seems to be with vehicles built between July 2011 and Nov 2011. Hard to tell at this point, but it could be something resolved in short order or a major headache.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You should just hold out for the twin turbo version. reputed to be 420 HP!

I'd rather have a diesel. I doubt that will happen in the US anytime soon though.

Quote:
I'd rather have a diesel

That 4cyl TD is a torque monster at 1600 RPM and great on fuel too, 0-60 and top speed are almost identical to the 3.6.
I wouldn't hold my breath though for a truly efficient engine to show up in US models.

I don't understand it, they have this engine and have been using it with great success (its the only engine offered in the top model) but refuse to bring it here even though fuel is at the $4 a gallon mark.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
I'd rather have a diesel

That 4cyl TD is a torque monster at 1600 RPM and great on fuel too, 0-60 and top speed are almost identical to the 3.6.

Wow, that diesel engine must HAUL. The 3.6 Wrangler does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds.

Quote:
I'd rather have a diesel

I wouldn't hold my breath though for a truly efficient engine to show up in US models.

I don't understand it, they have this engine and have been using it with great success (its the only engine offered in the top model) but refuse to bring it here even though fuel is at the $4 a gallon mark.

Yep, and we hear so much about CAFE, and lowering fuel consumption. I bet the mpg of that diesel blows the 3.6L gas mileage away!

30-39mpg. 2013 gets an even bigger torque boost than the 2011.
Quote:
we hear so much about CAFE, and lowering fuel consumption

When you look at the diesels performance and fuel economy CAFE begins to look like a total farce.
New diesels are in some cases even faster and quicker 0-60 then their gas powered counterparts using the same platform e.g. 5 or 7 series, A6 etc, apples to apples.
This is the kicker in many cases the emissions are actually lower on the diesel.

The new Jeep Rubicon sold in Europe is only offered with the diesel no gas engine option, strange how the top model is diesel only.

30-39mpg. 2013 gets an even bigger torque boost than the 2011.
Quote:
we hear so much about CAFE, and lowering fuel consumption

When you look at the diesels performance and fuel economy CAFE begins to look like a total farce.
New diesels are in some cases even faster and quicker 0-60 then their gas powered counterparts using the same platform e.g. 5 or 7 series, A6 etc, apples to apples.
This is the kicker in many cases the emissions are actually lower on the diesel.

The new Jeep Rubicon sold in Europe is only offered with the diesel no gas engine option, strange how the top model is diesel only.

Yep, you turned me onto it buddy! That got me thinking and is the reason I mentioned it.

Funny thing IIRC is the price for a gas engine vs. a diesel engine in Europe was the same? Here they'd probably bang us for an extra $2,000-$3,000, and it would still be worth it for a lot of people.

I wouldt own a new diesel if you GAVE it to me. I would pay a premium to NOT get a diesel...the potential for heart-stopping repair bills is just too much.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I wouldt own a new diesel if you GAVE it to me. I would pay a premium to NOT get a diesel...the potential for heart-stopping repair bills is just too much.

Well for me its a moot point, since I don't see Jeep offering it anytime soon in the US.

Same price exactly.
I have loved diesels since i was a kid, they are some of the most reliable engines ever built. I don't think (from well kept records dating back to 1980) my old OM615/616 had more than a valve adjustment (a 30 min job), filters, oil and a set of glow plugs in 30yrs.
Hardly heart stopping repairs.

Quote:

What engines are you basing this statement on?

Ouch, he's a Cummins owner. J/K!

But there must be a problem with EPA certification or costs or something, otherwise they'd be using it for sure.

Think of the ads! 40 mpg in a Jeep!

The US has more stringent emissions regulations than Europe. As long as this is the case, diesels will continue to be expensive and unattractive in this country.

Yep, that's why we have urea injection in the German diesels sold in US. EPA is killing diesels in cars here. Thank EPA for richer running gasoline engines in order to lower NOx and achieve the PZEV status.

Its a shame really considering the power, economy, and reliability of diesel engines. Oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back