Another dying wash machine Samsung front load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real disappointed with my front load Samsung washer. After less than 5 years of an easy life, the tub bearing is making a loud noise. It's a familiar sound like any other bearing going out on car axle, electric motor etc.

Still works great just makes a very loud noise on spin. Looks like a major repair, and even then will probably go out again a few years down the road.

So back to looking for a new wash machine. NO more Samsung appliances for me. They make a great TV and cell phone though.

Not sure if I want to go front load again or top load this time.

Originally Posted by Audios
Not sure if this applies to yours or not

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...achines-are-defective-class-action-says/

I would second the speed queen, although the newer ones arent the manual knobs and switches, its just the same knobs and switches connected to a circuit board.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it does not apply to my washer. It was bought in 2015. Will have to look at Speedqueen's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Not sure if this applies to yours or not

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...achines-are-defective-class-action-says/

I would second the speed queen, although the newer ones arent the manual knobs and switches, its just the same knobs and switches connected to a circuit board.

Kinda like the vehicles we drive these days. Where SQ shines in with the transmission. Much more durable than most others. Plus I like the stainless tub verses plastic in many today. Also it's made in the US. However it's a little more pricy.

Last edited:
The LG has a 10 year warranty on that, usually Samsung is pretty competitive but don't know if they match it. Just a suggestion in case. Not likely any washing machine bearings are USA made, maybe Speed Queen but it's so bad now nothing is made in USA anymore

Maybe that's just the motor, anyway just a suggestion to check warranty.

Originally Posted by tig1
That's why we just bought a new Speed Queen.

We looked at the Speed Queens. The wash tubs in them are tiny by today's standards and not practical for our household.

My family has had very good luck with Frigidaire front loaders. My parents set is going on 10+ years without much issue - dryer actually died around year 5 so its now mismatched set but the washer is still soldiering on, didn't have any issues with mildew/mold in the gasket until my sister moved in and stopped taking proper care of the machine (she believes door should not remain open to let the machine air dry).

Bought same exact machine my parents had back in '07-'08, it was still running 6 years later when the house sold and after 2 renters had probably abused it. Never any issues.

Ultimately ended up with Electrolux machines in my current place (Frigidaire is parent company of Electro) only because of space constraints the Frigidaire machines would not fit while the Electrolux would. Just to note the compact Electrolux machines are currently just Electrolux badges slapped on a Bosch.

Thinking about top load. GE, Maytag, Whirlpool. From what I understand Whirlpool washers are made in the USA, which means a lot to me.

I believe Home Depot is having a big Spring Black Friday sale in a few weeks. Will have to see what they have.

My 18 year old Whirlpool top load bearings finally gave out back a couple months ago. It worked very good for a family of five. It had one repair, a leaking pump for $10, and that was done by me around the 17.5 year mark.

Ended up buying a Whirlpool WTW4855HW top load 3.8 from Lowe's for $448 on sale. Stainless tub, 12 cycle, deep water wash and rinse, and some soaking cycles too. Has been working good so far, It's on sale again for $448.

https://www.whirlpool.com/laundry/washers/he-top-load-washer/p.3.8-cu.-ft.-top-load-washer-with-soaking-cycles,-12-cycles.wtw4855hw.html

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-3-8-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White/1000404157

Originally Posted by BigD1
My 18 year old Whirlpool top load bearings finally gave out back a couple months ago. It worked very good for a family of five. It had one repair, a leaking pump for $10, and that was done by me around the 17.5 year mark.

Ended up buying a Whirlpool WTW4855HW top load 3.8 from Lowe's for $448 on sale. Stainless tub, 12 cycle, deep water wash and rinse, and some soaking cycles too. Has been working good so far, It's on sale again for $448.

https://www.whirlpool.com/laundry/washers/he-top-load-washer/p.3.8-cu.-ft.-top-load-washer-with-soaking-cycles,-12-cycles.wtw4855hw.html

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-3-8-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White/1000404157

I like these! Would probably go with the next size up. I think it's a 4.5.

I'm gonna vouch for LG. I bought a set of HE side-loads in 2007-ish with George Bush's tax rebate check, from a scratch & dent place. The washer & dryer were brand new but beat up pretty good, the dryer looks like it rolled down a flight of stairs, but they sit in a basement corner closet out of sight, so who cares... Got the pair for $650 when at a time when they were selling for $1100 each.

That said, both have been GREAT, best washer & dryer I've ever owned. They're now 13 years old and still work as good as the day I bought them. Had a couple repairs made in that time:

When the dryer was about 9-10 years old, I replaced the heating element and a thermostat-- cost was $50 and took less than an hour to replace myself.

The drain pump on the washer went out a couple months ago (somewhat common I think). Part cost $25 and install took about 10 minutes, literally. Tip the washer over, unplug electrical connector and two hoses, replace pump. Access is through an opening in the bottom, don't even need to remove a single panel.

Very impressed with the quality of my LG machines and the ease of servicing them. I have a wife and four kids, so these machines get used a LOT.

We got our Maytag top loader "used" back in 1993. No idea how old it was then. Last year I made my first ever repair to it by fixing a floor spring mount that inadvertently rotted through....cost me $3 in parts....1 hour of my labor.

Still going strong after 4 full loads per week average. Hmm....5,408 loads of wash minimum. Don't know what I'm going to do when this thing finally dies.

Last edited:
Real time washer stories on an oil blog. Makes me smile
grin2.gif

They don't build them like they used to-my first one was a 1967 Kenmore top loader hand-me-down from my Mom, in my first house, in '87. It actually lasted 7 years before the transmission gave out, at 27 years old! The replacement ones haven't lasted more than 7 or 8 years each.

Originally Posted by andyd
Real time washer stories on an oil blog. Makes me smile
grin2.gif

I bet you still use a wringer washer
grin2.gif
lol.gif

Yes I saw those. Looks like a fun afternoon of repair to change out that bearing. Just check out some of the u tube videos. I'm a 30 year aircraft mechanic, but that repair looks like a serious PITA.

Last edited:
I have the loss leader Frigidaire Front Loader purchased in 2010 for $390. That and a Bosch(smaller) that would fit up my 1910 home tight staircase.

Fast forward 11 years only the normal or heavy cycles work out of the 20 modes otherwise electronic issues. The front door handle snapped off and the bottom is rotting out and splitting.

We run the machine once per day on average since new and beyond elated it lasted this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back