Why would floor be wet from a front load washing machine?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
We have a house we rent that is 800 miles from where we live, so no easy way to do a in-person inspection.

Tenant just texted me, states big pool of water under the front load whirlpool washing machine. Have no idea what the problem is. Trying to decide to just order a replacement washer from Lowes and have it installed, or to call out a service tech.

The machine is a higher end Whirlpool washer with all the bells and whistles. Not that it matters, but if a teach could fix for under a few hundred..... something to consider.

I don't know any service techs in the area where the home is located- so I would be calling a service company I am not familiar with.

Any thoughts?

I have no idea how much water we are talking about but I have an LG that occasionally does that. Check the seal around the door for hair. The glass section will get some pet hair on it and it won't completely seal the door. Yeah it sounds simple but I made a call to get a leak fixed and the Technition took one look at the hair around the seal and said there's your problem. Take a towel and wipe the area around the door seal occasionally.

The seal must be clean and in good shape, else it will leak. I have replaced the seal in our front-load machine, which stopped the leaking. The job isn't difficult, but it does take about an hour and some ability to figure out the disassembly and reassembly.

It could be a supply hose. It could be the valve on the back of the washer that the water lines attach to. I would call a plumber and have him look at it and get back with you.

Most likely the door gasket. It's held on there by a large thin C clamp. I would call a tech as those Whirlpool front loaders are good machines.

Gasket must be clean and the glass door. Some machines have a flexible drain hose from the drum that can catch coins and other things. My machine ingested an ink pen from my son's jeans and punctured it.

There are also drains built into the gasket at the bottom. These must be kept open to ensure the water doesn't accumulate in the gasket area. Prob just needs a good cleaning. Don't forget the lint filter either.

Call the guy and pay the $$$$$ . It is nice when the tenants call and inform.

WPOD,

I did- Diamond Appliance https://diamondappliance.com/ .

They allow on-line scheduling, which does not work. I then e-mailed a request for service to them with every possible detail, no response.

This is why I am a fan of doing things myself........

Just on that load? Did they trap a article of clothing in the door seal? Are they overloading the thing? I never go above 1/3 to 1/2 way up the porthole with the largest load.
Is the tenant incapable of doing even basic diagnostics for you? Just a repair visit will likely be 1/3 the cost of a new "scratch and dent" lower end model. I used to have a mechanically inclined neighbor check in and help my mother in Florida if she had some house infrastructure problems - since I live way up North in NH.

I see this fairly regularly in apartments. The water pump seal goes bad and leaks. Being front loading the door gasket can fail but typically if there's a lot of water under on the floor its the pump thats bad.

Just on that load? Did they trap a article of clothing in the door seal? Are they overloading the thing? I never go above 1/3 to 1/2 way up the porthole with the largest load.

That's the very first thing to think/ask. THEN talk about a gasket/repair/replacement.

A surprising number of people simply don't know how to use a front-loading washing machine.

I've had mine leak if a ball of hair and lint sticks to the gasket, quick swipe with a towel and everything was back to normal.

Ask the tennant to check the seal. Some front loaders like my Kenmore (which is a whirlpool clone) have a channel in there for drainage..maybe there are socks or small clothing items caught in there.

Otherwise the pump and strainer could be clogged or the gasket failing.

Do you know how old the washer is?

WPOD,

I did- Diamond Appliance https://diamondappliance.com/ .

They allow on-line scheduling, which does not work. I then e-mailed a request for service to them with every possible detail, no response.

This is why I am a fan of doing things myself........
GON, any updates on your tenants Wash Machine leak mystery? I think your solution would be of great general interest.
Thank you - Ken

ARCO,

Service company has yet to show up. I live over 1,000 miles away.

Ordering a replacement washer on Lowes dot com today. Don't want to mess with a tenant who pays, something that I have not had much luck with over the past decade.

Funny, the tenant is a engineer for Yamaha... not sure what kind of engineer. The house is on two acres and has a very small lake in the back yard. Mice have always been a issue. No prior tenant seems to take the mice seriously, which is always a issue for me. This guy has four cats. I would almost of always said no to even one cat. But with the mice issue... I accepted him. He claims to have designed and uses a hepa filtered automated cat litter machine.... who knows. But thought worth the trade off... good credit and cats, over mice and bad credit.....

Back