Had to replace GE washing machine transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a GE HydroWave washing machine in 2012 brand new. It's a traditional top loading machine with a standard agitator. Think of your typical white 90s unit but upgraded here and there with more wash modes. I didn't care for side loaders then and still don't now. It has a label on it that claims it is proudly made in Louisville, KY.

But man.. I expected to get more than 5 years out of it before having to do any serious maintenance.

One day I put in a load and during the spin cycle it started screaming.. very much like metal on metal scraping.

Well, after a complete teardown, I found that the bearing on the transmission (aka shaft and mode shifter assembly) had gone bad. I suspect water got past the tub seal and got into it.

Picture of the part below. You can see the bearing that joins the shaft to the flange. Seems like it would have been worth the extra $1 to spec a rubber flange to shield it from water leakage, but hey those stock prices have to perform.

s-l1600.jpg

Anyway, since the entire machine was apart.. I took the opportunity to pop in a new tub bushing, new drive belt, and a replace a few fasteners that had just corroded over the years from soapy water.

I figure I can get another 5 years on this before the problem happens again.. but I'll be saving up for a Speed Queen in the meantime.

My mother's Hotpoint (=GE) washer from about 1990 hasn't had any problems yet. The matching dryer died a couple of years ago.

I have a Kenmore (Whirlpool) from 2004. Agitator dogs, the lid switch, and the main drive gear for the agitator have all been replaced by me over that time, but it's still kicking. It's easy to work on these.

I haven't had a decent washer or dryer in 30 yrs. Last GE I bought lasted 14 months before the trans/motor/pc board went bad, $300 for the part minus labor. I finally got GE to repair it with me paying for labor and them the part. I really have no idea what to buy anymore since I think they are all cheap junk.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Yep, I have a Speed Queen. Old style top load. Analog dial.

It's a beast.

I love it.

My condo complex has 8 Speed Queen washer and dryers..They run all day long and very rarely break down.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I bought a GE HydroWave washing machine in 2012 brand new. It's a traditional top loading machine with a standard agitator. Think of your typical white 90s unit but upgraded here and there with more wash modes. I didn't care for side loaders then and still don't now. It has a label on it that claims it is proudly made in Louisville, KY.

But man.. I expected to get more than 5 years out of it before having to do any serious maintenance.

One day I put in a load and during the spin cycle it started screaming.. very much like metal on metal scraping.

Well, after a complete teardown, I found that the bearing on the transmission (aka shaft and mode shifter assembly) had gone bad. I suspect water got past the tub seal and got into it.

Picture of the part below. You can see the bearing that joins the shaft to the flange. Seems like it would have been worth the extra $1 to spec a rubber flange to shield it from water leakage, but hey those stock prices have to perform.

s-l1600.jpg

Anyway, since the entire machine was apart.. I took the opportunity to pop in a new tub bushing, new drive belt, and a replace a few fasteners that had just corroded over the years from soapy water.

I figure I can get another 5 years on this before the problem happens again.. but I'll be saving up for a Speed Queen in the meantime.

Was there anything in the directions to pour in a gallon of water before running it the first time? I bought a dishwasher that said that. The seal must be water lubricated and depends on some water always being left behind. Except when its brand new from the factory.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

s-l1600.jpg

Was there anything in the directions to pour in a gallon of water before running it the first time? I bought a dishwasher that said that. The seal must be water lubricated and depends on some water always being left behind. Except when its brand new from the factory.

Nah I didn't see anything like that. It was just a new part from GE. I did, however, run a very light load as the first wash -- just 2 large bath towels to check for leaks.

I have since then done a few loads and (knock on wood) it seems to be running fine now.

Maybe you know it or maybe you don't, but GE sold off their appliance division to a Chinese company. There's almost nothing left to GE's consumer products portfolio other than a license to use the name. What do they have left that they actually own. Maybe the lighting division, and I'm pretty sure by now all they make themselves are straight tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back