An interesting GC observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many, I've noticed and mentioned numerous positive GC qualities and effects in the past. Most notably, reduced valvetrain noise in 2 of my vehicles, smoother engine operation and reduced vibration in a 3rd, as well as better mileage. And I know that there has been a fair amount of positive scientific and subjective threads written on the subject.

But, I noticed something else yesterday while changing my oil that really made me take notice, and it's not a scientific evaluation by any means.

I was doing an oil change after 10,000 miles of GC and installing a new Wix gold filter on my 3.3 GM motor.

When pulling the pan plug out, I had a small amount of oil spill on my fingers. What amazed me was how slippery, viscous and full bodied the oil still was, even after 10,000 miles. It was also very noticable that as the oil was draining from my engine into the oil pan, how, unlike used dino oil, it wasn't watery or weak and used in appearance.

I took a few moments after draining the oil, and really examined it. I also opened a new GC as I was pre-filling my oil filter, and compared the used oil to it. Much to my surprise, it had the same physical charecteristics and almost identical feel and viscosity properties to the brand new GC that I compared it to. It looked and felt as if it could have been safely poured right back into the car for another 10,000 miles.

One thing I had always noticed over the years of changing my own dino oil is how thin, lifeless, and unslippery my used dino oil felt, even after only 4000 miles. Even my used M1 over the years seemed spent after 7000 miles.

I've been changing my own oil, as well as others since the late 70's. In the days, I primarily had been using Valvoline, with positive results. But, I could always tell when the oil needed to be changed, either because of a drop in oil pressure at hot idle, or an increase in valvetrain-engine noise. And the oil always felt like it was used up, usually between 3000-5000 miles.

But, the GC still felt like new oil, drained out like new oil, and has continued to impress me.

I still use Rotella in all my 440's for it's properties, but my newer daily drivers sure love the GC.

bowdown.gif

I bet used GC can still protect better than new dino oil!
smile.gif

I've got about 8900 miles on my current batch of GC in my Corvette and will be changing it this afternoon. I know that it'll come out still in decent shape, and the oil analysis results will prove it (I'll be dropping off the sample at the lab tomorrow and should get the results by Tuesday or Wednesday)

"GC, is like, the greatest oil ever!
rolleyes.gif
"

Why yes, yes it is.

It should be noted that all my above experiences are with older Green (M02 in this case) out of my stash. I don't have any gold, and won't need to buy any for several more years.

If you consider that none of us are reps for the company, or getting a cut of the sales, all these comments and testimonials in addition to UOA's give me confidence. I'm convinced.
cheers.gif

stc,

SEE! All that head banging you've done is causing you to laugh hysterically...you warn a guy...he doesn't listen...and your worst fears are realized.

GC was the quietest my hydrolic lifters have been in a LONG time... and stayed that way through the duration of the interval, whereas lesser oils alwas seemed to loose some- ability, by the 3000 mile mark other oils always had me scared with loud tappping from my valves... I have also experienced that the GC seems to "hold up" or stay in grade and stay "slippery" for longer than other oils... Even in my oil burning isuzu, after over 4000 miles, the UOA came back with pleny of life left... very impressive oil, that's why there's nearly 50qts of green out in the garage.

Esters, if you've ever picked up a slug, are persistent, slippery and horrible, at least whilst in the garden! Assuming that there are Gr V ingredients in GC?

Posted by 11secondoldmopar:

quote:

When pulling the pan plug out, I had a small amount of oil spill on my fingers. What amazed me was how slippery, viscous and full bodied the oil still was, even after 10,000 miles.

One thing I had always noticed over the years of changing my own dino oil is how thin, lifeless, and unslippery my used dino oil felt, even after only 4000 miles.

There are some threads on BITOG pertaining to the thinning of Dino oils 10W-30, etc., the oil would break down and become a 20 weight with use, there are UOA’s that show the Dino oils thinning out to.

The GC tends to thicken with use as observed in UOA’s where the oil has been in use for approximately 10,000 miles,
so, your observations are correct
grin.gif

Good luck with the German Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back