Valvoline Euro 5W-40 Cleaning Observations

I wanted to share some observations based on my experiences with Valvoline's European Vehicle 5W-40 in three separate applications; a '18 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8L V6 (6G75), a '10 Toyota Camry 2.4L L4 (2AZ-FE) and my '05 Lexus RX 330 3.3L V6 (3MZ-FE).

All three vehicles had regular oil changes with bulk 20W-50 at ~5,000 km/3,000 mi intervals with OE filters (Toyo Roki sourced for the Mitsubishi and Denso sourced for the Toyotas) since new. As I don't have a detailed service history for any of them, I don't know how many of those oil changes were extended beyond this interval. With that being said, they all used oil sourced from Dubai with questionable quality; as a result, the engine internals were heavily varnished despite the short drains. Looking through the fill hole, you could clearly see everything was covered.

I decided to run the Valvoline, which was primarily a cost driven decision, considering it is a competitively priced synthetic. The first drain interval (5,000 km/3,000 mi) on all three vehicles raised eyebrows, because the oil drained had a red tint like ATF. But what was surprising was I could start to see shiny metal through the fill hole now, albeit it all had a darker yellowish hue/tint to it. I did not take any before/after pictures, because again, I was not experimenting with its cleaning abilities and all three vehicles got their oil changed during the same week.

The last vehicle to get its oil changed was the Lexus, which was on Friday, and I have attached a picture of the oil being drained. I will follow up to see what the oil looks like after the second interval, but I'm curious if anyone has had any similar observations/experiences with this particular oil. I don't know what the base oil is, although I assume it's just a Group III based on price alone. I have looked at some VOAs posted here and did not notice anything any different than other comparable oils.

PSX_20230707_233306.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A UOA will not tell you everything about an oil but I agree that it’s likely GrpIII. SDS can help with that.

Valvoline has long returned VOAs with great results even though the known add packs don’t look particularly special.

I doubt any oil from one of the major oil companies would a bad choice.

Valvoline Synthetic 5w-40 has a sterling repuation among the cognoscenti.
I have used it for years as my winterfill in aftermarket supercharged 350Zs (yes plural Zs).
My summer fill was M1 15w-50.

Back the I was yung and regulary street raced so the thicker oils were needed especially n aftermarkt supercharged engines.

For my current vehicles:
I might run it alternating with my Mobil 1 0w-40 if it was more widely available locally, I like to alternate detergent packs in my engines.
Right now I alternate M1 with Valvoline synthetic High milage.
My current engines are stressed lower (no forced induction V8s), so my winter fill is Valvoline high Milage Syn 5w-30 and fo summer M1 0w-40.
But frankly both oils, like 5w-40, can be run year around.

I always perceived Valvoline Syn to have good detergent packs.

Clearly what you are doing is working for you, but consider also using valvoline high milage formualtion oils (if u cna get them), which turn the detergent packs up yet another notch over the regular Valvoline offerings (which are already good)

What made the oil sourced in Dubai questionable?
Is all oil from Dubai questionable?
They simply do not meet the specifications printed on the bottle. It appears they have one blend to qualify for approvals and another blend for distribution. Standards are not exactly enforced either, because there's no quick way for authorities to "test" an oil on the shelf. Representatives from the Department of Commerce merely look at API approvals on the bottle and if it's SJ/CH-4 or newer, it's considered "good" for consumer use. Sadly, this practice is also supported by government agencies, who require heavy premiums be paid on lubricants imported from outside the region to include the United States and the European Union.

Back in the late 2000s/early 2010s, Liqui Moly was sampling various oils from this region (conventional to full synthetic) to compare them to their European equivalents and Castrol was on top of the list. Their flagship oil at the time, blended in Dubai for this market, which I believe was the then "new" Edge 0W-40, was listed as approved for ACEA A3/B4-08. Looking at the requirements for A3/B4-08, the oil is required to have a NOACK of U]13%, but what was in the bottle had a NOACK ranging from 16-18% depending on production date. The European sourced product sold in the EU had a solid 9% NOACK across the board in comparison.

This, of course, applies not just to Castrol, but many other major name brand oils as well because blending is outsourced. While they have offices in and around the region, they do not have their own production facilities. Brands like Mobil, Castrol/BP, Gulf, etc. were sourced from Dubai, but ExxonMobil always made it a point to keep their Mobil 1 line of products separate, which were all - and still are - imported from their facilities in France.

Recently, ACDelco started sourcing their lubricants to be distributed within the region from Dubai. While Motorcraft engine oils used to be sourced from ConocoPhillips, just like in the United States, they too started sourcing them from Dubai to be sold in this region. Mopar still imports their lubricants from the U.S.

Of course there are also some exceptions as well. Shell blends their products for regional distribution in Oman and they are identical to what is sold in Europe. You also get a decent regional brands; Kuwait National Petroleum Corporation has facilities in Belgium and the Netherlands where they blend their own oil using Kuwaiti crude and market the under the Q8 Oils brand. A couple of years ago, they decided to sell their entire product range at home and the quality of their products is definitely up there.

With that being said, common issues seen in engines running subpar oils sourced from Dubai are generally heavy varnish, sludge and oil burning due to either bad valve seals/guides or excessive cylinder wall wear.

Valvoline Synthetic 5w-40 has a sterling repuation among the cognoscenti.
I have used it for years as my winterfill in aftermarket supercharged 350Zs (yes plural Zs).
My summer fill was M1 15w-50.

Back the I was yung and regulary street raced so the thicker oils were needed especially n aftermarkt supercharged engines.

For my current vehicles:
I might run it alternating with my Mobil 1 0w-40 if it was more widely available locally, I like to alternate detergent packs in my engines.
Right now I alternate M1 with Valvoline synthetic High milage.
My current engines are stressed lower (no forced induction V8s), so my winter fill is Valvoline high Milage Syn 5w-30 and fo summer M1 0w-40.
But frankly both oils, like 5w-40, can be run year around.

I always perceived Valvoline Syn to have good detergent packs.

Clearly what you are doing is working for you, but consider also using valvoline high milage formualtion oils (if u cna get them), which turn the detergent packs up yet another notch over the regular Valvoline offerings (which are already good)
This is very good to know, thank you for the input!

While I do not have any vehicles requiring the use of high mileage oil, what's available locally is sourced from Valvoline Europe in the Netherlands. What I've used is blended in KY, and I don't know if there are any differences in the formulations, but this particular oil has definitely been a surprise.

It's because using 20w50 "Acme" mineral I/II more than Valvoline.
Valvoline observation is normal behaviour for good semi-syn II/III full saps.

Back