Amsoil SSO 18,200 miles 1 year 08 Acura TL 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like when there is a 10,000 mile + oil changes and it works . The 5,000 mile syn oil changes may as well be dino oil.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Not a reactionary,not insulting,not rude,not a shill "with a secondary agenda",not involved in a scam. And........I certainly don't accuse or ascribe motive to others. I simply believe oil should be run for a much short oci,that's all. Is that so wrong?

Is that really all that there is to it? You've got almost an unchanging posting rhetoric that tries to convince people to do shorter drains. If they're doing 7500 ..it's "5k ..no more!" ..it it's 7500 and their easily able to go 10k ..it's "7500 ..no more".

There's nothing to suggest that this is in any way harming this engine. Yet you call it "beater maintenance". If that's not saying that the OP is a jerk for treating his car that way, I don't know what is.

Yes. Insulting and rude.

Yes,that's really all it is to me. I prefer shorter drains vs. longer drains. I'm not calling anyone names.

Amsoil is a great oil. This just sold me on it...tough driving,winter and 18K. That is good! Especially on a newer engine which is going to shed some metal anyway. Way to go man! Thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Warn us when you sell this 60,000 mile oil burning vehicle.

You might as well said "First Post". It will be just as intelligent.

Originally Posted By: M Smith
I’m curious, what lab did that report?

It was Oil Analyzers.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Not a reactionary,not insulting,not rude,not a shill "with a secondary agenda",not involved in a scam. And........I certainly don't accuse or ascribe motive to others. I simply believe oil should be run for a much short oci,that's all. Is that so wrong?

Is that really all that there is to it? You've got almost an unchanging posting rhetoric that tries to convince people to do shorter drains. If they're doing 7500 ..it's "5k ..no more!" ..it it's 7500 and their easily able to go 10k ..it's "7500 ..no more".

There's nothing to suggest that this is in any way harming this engine. Yet you call it "beater maintenance". If that's not saying that the OP is a jerk for treating his car that way, I don't know what is.

Yes. Insulting and rude.

Its almost comical how when I post a long drain with PP , nobody is saying "Im treating it like a beater". But with SSO, I am. Why is that?
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Amsoil is a great oil. This just sold me on it...tough driving,winter and 18K. That is good! Especially on a newer engine which is going to shed some metal anyway. Way to go man! Thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Your very welcome
thumbsup2.gif

Seb - good post. It's the AHS (Amsoil Hate Syndrome) with some people. I see it all the time. I try to post a lot less lately in rebuttal to these guys, because they just run to Helen or the mods. As Gary said - we wear our bias for all to see, these guys claim zero bias, but.....well it's there.

Anyway - to really know how much the oil oxidized, you will need to have the virgin oil run to compare.

What really bothers me about Amsoil is the 5,000 changes!!! i don't use the oil I have in the past and know people who do

No,you took it wrong. I've seen enough UOAS to conclude that Amsoil is a very good oil. My point was that 18k and 1 year is a very long run.....period. My comment was not directed at the brand of oil. I'm sure the results would have been inferior with many other oils. I simply thought the run was was waaay too far for a new car that cost in excess of $30,000. I would have used the UOA money for an oil change,much earlier,and not done a UOA. I don't think I am the only person with this opinion. It's just my opinion....you are,certainly,welcome to your's.

No,you took it wrong. I've seen enough UOAS to conclude that Amsoil is a very good oil. My point was that 18k and 1 year is a very long run.....period. My comment was not directed at the brand of oil. I'm sure the results would have been inferior with many other oils. I simply thought the run was was waaay too far for a new car that cost in excess of $30,000. I would have used the UOA money for an oil change,much earlier,and not done a UOA. I don't think I am the only person with this opinion. It's just my opinion....you are,certainly,welcome to your's.

But if you really look at this UOA closely, those wear numbers are typical of what we might see with a report that has half of these miles on it, and in no way do I think that the engine life is shortened in any way with this OCI and this oil. So how can you say that he pushed this oil way too far when in reality he's not harming his engine at all?

I for one am glad he used his money to buy a UOA and not do an extra oil change instead. It's reports like this which help show the non believers that Amsoil truly is a great oil for super extended intervals. There aren't many people on here that have the stones to push their OCI this long (myself included, although if I drove a lot more miles per week than I currently do, I would do it)

Patman your are missing it entirely.

FZ1 is right! If we simply take the cost of the UOA and spend it for an oil change we could eliminate this entire portion of the board and his post count would be 2.

We could simply change our oil at 3 months or 3000 miles.
28.gif

I tend to agree. I guess living in NY makes a difference in my thinking since my driving conditions here are very harsh. Amsoil is a fine oil, I would not push it that long in anything I own. Now if I lived out west, maybe Utah, or New Mexico, and drove 50 miles each way to work in perfect conditions I'd give an extended drain a try. My driving habits and conditions I'd be willing to bet, 1 year with about 15,000 miles would be harmful in the long term. I'm not willing to take that chance. I do 1 year OCI's from time to time, but usually running only 5000-6000 miles, that is where my comfort level ends. To each his own.

I'm curious why was oxidation so high? According to the lab it wasn't good, and was flagged.

I call Bull-poop on this report... Look at the additive package numbers... No way it went 18K miles and that little additive was used.

This is JMO, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and call Bull-Poop.

Keep in mind that these reports can be falsified by telling the lab you are using whatever mileage you want and they just put that at the top of the report. Don't take this as official.

I also find it hard to believe that someone would do this with a "new" vehicle...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I call Bull-poop on this report... Look at the additive package numbers... No way it went 18K miles and that little additive was used.

This is JMO, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and call Bull-Poop.

Keep in mind that these reports can be falsified by telling the lab you are using whatever mileage you want and they just put that at the top of the report. Don't take this as official.

I also find it hard to believe that someone would do this with a "new" vehicle...

You don't know what you are talking about.

So you are calling the OP a liar? Not cool man.

Looks like the oil went 18K to me. Plus - what exactly is he doing to his vehicle?

Something doesn't smell right to me and I posted that that was JMO.

I have seen way way too many UOA's and there is no way that little additive was used over this many miles in this engine.

I have used this product myself in multiple engines, ones hard on oil and ones not and none have done this at all.

Sorry can't agree with you on that one.

Amsoil SSO is a fine product but I just don't buy it. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Looks like the oil went 18K to me. Plus - what exactly is he doing to his vehicle?

Sorry forgot to answer this... A new vehicle and you are doing extended drains in the third OCI of almost 20K miles? on an Acura?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back