Amsoil recommendation for the VW/Audi 2.0T FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some research on a potential Amsoil oil selection for my wife's 2008 Jetta 2.0T FSI, and I was hoping for BITOG input.

Some background: I have an Amsoil dealer membership. I'm not a huge Amsoil kool-aid drinker (and pretty big non-fan of their MLM system), but I do have one of their warehouses just a few miles from my home. Further, due to multiple vehicles to maintain and some motorsports-based hobbies, I have more internal combustion engines to keep up with than most. I view Amsoil as a one-stop-shop for above-average quality oil products, for all of my applications.

Anyways, the Jetta is getting ready to roll over 60K, and hence lose it's powertrain warranty and the accompanying VW spec oil requirement. Up to this point I'd say roughly the 1st half of that 60K was with M1 0W40, and the second half has been with GC. Intervals have always been 5K, and will remain there in the future. Never have had an OA done. Usage conditions for the car would be a daily driver for my wife, as person who tends to drive efficiently, but not terribly aggressive. The daily commute is all surface streets, about 6 miles each way. The car sees maybe 20% highway speed type of use. It has the DSG transmission, which basically means that due to it's shift programming, unless you are flogging the car it's probably close to lugging the engine when driven around town. Environment where I live would typical Great Plains - hot in the summer, cold in the winter, plenty of humidity.

My objectives in an oil choice would be in reference to this engine's shortcomings - protection of fuel pump cam follower, prevention (to the extent possible) of DI-induced carbon valve deposits, and resistance to sheer/grade degradation.

My candidates for an Amsoil replacement are tentatively the AFL, DEO, and HDD offerings. This is strictly based on conversations I've seen in my many searches. From what I can glean from their Amsoil specs, via my fairly ignorant perspective, I'vd noted the following info:

DEO - HT/HS: 4.1, TBN: 10.4, NOACK: 9.1
HDD - HT/HS: 3.6, TBN: 12.1, NOACK: 8.6
AFL - HT/HS: 3.8, TBN: 8.0, NOACK: 7.4

These metrics mean little to me, but I have seen them referenced in various threads, and thought I'd list them directly.

My question is simply which Amsoil oil would you run if you decided you were going to run SOMETHING out of their product line? Is it one of the above? Am I splitting hairs with these selections? From my research at least it seems the AFL would be the easiest candidate to delete off of the list, but Amsoil also has 2 other offerings in their European oil line that I don't see mentioned much, nor have I researched.

Finally, is GC a better oil than anything Amsoil offers, with respect to my application? As in, am I wasting my time and money transitioning from GC to something Amsoil? Or is that another splitting hairs question?

Did you look up your vehicle on the Amsoil website? What did they recommend?

If I lived near an Amsoil warehouse and did not have to pay shipping I would probably use all Amsoil productas.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo...-motor-oil-efm/

Or Redline 0w-40

Or Mobil 1 0w-40
Or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40

I've heard about the EFM you linked. The price sure is appealing, but I've been under the impression that the high SAPS is a bad idea for a DI engine with the carbon deposit issue. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Otherwise, I'd really like to keep to an Amsoil product if possible so I can make further use of my membership fee, and keep all of my oil, filter, and lube purchases centered on a single retailer.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Did you look up your vehicle on the Amsoil website? What did they recommend?

If I lived near an Amsoil warehouse and did not have to pay shipping I would probably use all Amsoil productas.

I think in the past it's given me very generic recommendations. Stuff that sounds good on paper in a marketing office, but really isn't the ideal match for this problematice little engine. I'm usually not near as much a stickler for the perfect oil, but in the case of this engine it's maybe warranted. In the automakers' push towards performance, emissions, AND efficiency, they are making some really problematic design choices with the turbos and DI. VAG was one of the first with the combo, but now it's becoming more common amongst all makes.

Many good choices out there... but within Amsoil products I recommend HDD! Although EFM is the most technically appropriate choice.

Since you plan on sticking to 5K intervals, and car does not see any aggressive driving, to tell you the truth, you may just be able to get away with the cheapest 30wt oil Amsoil offers!

The current popular alternative would be to purchase M1 0W40 on sale!

Yes, the high SAPS is what is causing some or most of the intake valve deposit problems in the FSI engines. You should look for the lowest SAPS you can find while also looking for the lowest NOACK, too.

Since you are out of warranty and don't care abour VW 502.00 anymore, I'd suggest the OE 10W-30. It has very low NOACK and a HT/HS of 3.3 which is close to the 3.5 502.00 recommends. With a TBN of 7.9 it should have no problem going the 5k mile OCI you plan on. Actually, the XL and the SS in 10W-30 have the same low NOACK so they would be great too and they would give you more cushion at 5k mile intervals.

The two diesel oils you have in the original post would also work, but to dump them at 5k miles would be such a waste. And they are twice the price.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Many good choices out there... but within Amsoil products I recommend HDD! Although EFM is the most technically appropriate choice.

Since you plan on sticking to 5K intervals, and car does not see any aggressive driving, to tell you the truth, you may just be able to get away with the cheapest 30wt oil Amsoil offers!

The current popular alternative would be to purchase M1 0W40 on sale!

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Yes, the high SAPS is what is causing some or most of the intake valve deposit problems in the FSI engines. You should look for the lowest SAPS you can find while also looking for the lowest NOACK, too.

Since you are out of warranty and don't care abour VW 502.00 anymore, I'd suggest the OE 10W-30. It has very low NOACK and a HT/HS of 3.3 which is close to the 3.5 502.00 recommends. With a TBN of 7.9 it should have no problem going the 5k mile OCI you plan on. Actually, the XL and the SS in 10W-30 have the same low NOACK so they would be great too and they would give you more cushion at 5k mile intervals.

The two diesel oils you have in the original post would also work, but to dump them at 5k miles would be such a waste. And they are twice the price.

In repsonse to both of you, I realize the 5K interval on this forum makes a person out to be a bit of a loon. However, if you do some searches both here and on any VW forum, you'll find that the VAG 2.0T FSI and TSI OA's show that this engine is very hard on oil with respect to sheering and fuel dilution. The 5K intervals are basically the norm with anyone who has paid attention to the issues.

An oil choice on this engine is a bit of a struggle. You want something that is resitant to sheer/thinning, ability to protect the cam follower, and not prone to add any more problems to the intake build-up than is going to be naturally present. The latter two caveats there are a bit self-defeating, it seems.

BTW - There used to be a prominent poster both here and over at vwvortex by the name of "saaber1" (BITOG) and "saaber2" (vwvortex). He had a huge personal database and head knowledge of the 2.0T and it's oil situation. Somewhere about mid-2011 the guy disappeared from both forums. I only know this because I recalled his involvement in such threads on both forums, and recently looked up his profiles to shoot off a PM. Curious where the guy disappeared to.

AFL, which was mimicked to perform like 505.01 oils, are designed to initially shear, then the viscosity gets built up with soot loading.... so 505.01 oils are automatically knocked off the list for me.

If I were to run a Amsoil product on my 2.0T (FSI).... I would go with DEO. The SAPS level is low enough that it is in between Low-SAPs AEL and Mid-SAP AFL, which a good consideration for the good ol intake clogging.

So... that's my personal choice... DEO.

But.. I use Shell Rotella T6 instead

Originally Posted By: woofsburger
In repsonse to both of you, I realize the 5K interval on this forum makes a person out to be a bit of a loon.

I don't think you're a loon for running 5k mile OCIs, quite the opposite with your car. In your car, I would never go beyond 5k miles. What I was suggesting was the lowest NOACK oil Amsoil offers that will hold up for those 5k mile intervals. If you want more of a buffer at 5k miles, move up to the XL or SS series, assuming that you don't mind spending the extra money.

It's not really as hard of a decision as you are making it out to be. If you're willing to go outside of Amsoil's offerings, the best that you can find would be Red Line 5W-30 at $10-11 a quart. Super low NOACK and an HT/HS of 3.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back