Amsoil OE 0W-20 vs PP 0W-20.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: randomhero439

...... but PP beats out OE and XL anyday.

How are you so certain of these things? Please post the data. Not specifications, not thoughts, not certifications, not feelings. Real data.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

How are you so certain of these things? Please post the data. Not specifications, not thoughts, not certifications, not feelings. Real data.

People "assume" alot on these forums with no data.I await for proof of this "claim" as well randomhero439

Quote:

Where is Amsoil's data?

Last time I checked, Shell/Pennzoil used ASTM Seq IVA and IIIG data. What did Amsoil use? 4-ball wear test, then made a video about the one arm bandit. Nice.
wink.gif

Quote:
but PP beats out OE and XL anyday.

No way of really proving that. XL is a very good oil. So is OE. So is PP. They are more alike than different. Look, Amsoil doesn't make a BAD oil. Quality is not the issue with Amsoil. None of these are bad oils.

All i have to work with is Spec Sheets. And from my view, PP looks better on paper. Man if everyone was asked to provide real data when making a claim, we would just run ourselves in circles. Most of us look at Spec Sheets, which i guess doesnt count as "real" published data. Your the Amsoil rep, how about you post some real data?

Note in my original post, i was refering to base-stock quality, nothing to do with additive packages.
............................(Amsoil OE) (Amsoil SS) (Pennzoil Platinum)
Viscosity index:_____166________170_________164
Pour Point__________-48C_______-53C________-54C
Flash Point_________224C________232C_______224C
CCS Viscosity:____5402cP______4979cP_____5720cP
Volatility_________12.6%________9.3%_______8.9%
HTHS_______________2.7cP_______2.8cP______2.6cP

Looks as though OE and SS have the advantage in CCS and HTHS. However the volatility is clearly superior with PP. To me, i would say OE

Figured I would add qsud to it just for a comparison I got these figures from here hopefully it's the newest one let me know if Its not
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003587110_201007020123.pdf

All i have to work with is Spec Sheets. And from my view, PP looks better on paper. Man if everyone was asked to provide real data when making a claim, we would just run ourselves in circles. Most of us look at Spec Sheets, which i guess doesnt count as "real" published data. Your the Amsoil rep, how about you post some real data?

Note in my original post, i was refering to base-stock quality, nothing to do with additive packages.
............................(Amsoil OE) (Amsoil SS) (Pennzoil Platinum). Qsud
Viscosity index:_____166________170_________164. 175
Pour Point__________-48C_______-53C________-54C. -48
Flash Point_________224C________232C_______224C. 224c
CCS Viscosity:____5402cP______4979cP_____5720cP. 4840
Volatility_________12.6%________9.3%_______8.9% 14%
HTHS_______________2.7cP_______2.8cP______2.6cP. 2.6

Looks as though OE and SS have the advantage in CCS and HTHS. However the volatility is clearly superior with PP. To me, i would say OE

Looks as though OE and SS have the advantage in CCS and HTHS. However the volatility is clearly superior with PP. To me, i would say OEdiv>

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
PP without a doubt.

So it's just your opinion that PP is better. It's OK to have an opinion, but where is Mr. Newton when you need him?
lol.gif

Truth is, no one here can say with anything to back them, one of these oils will actually perform better than the other.

We all know I like my SOPUS products, but honestly, I don't see anything wrong with either of the Amsoil offerings. I do know that both Amsoil offerings are better than PU, because I can actually go out and buy the former, but not the latter.
wink.gif

I was hoping to get more feedback from actual experiences, but thanks everyone for the help!

I am quite familiar with PP in the 5w20 variety, but not so much in the 0W-20 variety. I have never used Amsoil before.

I'm leaning towards Amsoil because I have a small local business that sells it for a good price. It seems as far as protection and longevity, these two oils are on par with each other as PP doesn't have a very strong TBN and what UOAs I have seen with Amsoil OE 0W-20, the TBN retention for this oil is very strong. The higher noack concerns me a smidge, but if I can keep fuel dilution down, it may not matter.

I also like the thinner nature of Amsoil OE and it seems to have better cold flow properties despite the difference in pour point. Not sure how that works, but whatever.

Pour point just doesn't happen to be a good indicator of cold weather performance, within reason of course. Obviously, if a pour point is -20 C, it's not going to do well in a cold cranking test and probably wouldn't be a multigrade motor oil.
wink.gif

Pour point, along with NOACK, can give one at least an indication of base stocks, but even that's getting blurred lately with some of the Group III+ base stocks out there these days.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I was hoping to get more feedback from actual experiences, but thanks everyone for the help!

I am quite familiar with PP in the 5w20 variety, but not so much in the 0W-20 variety. I have never used Amsoil before.

I'm leaning towards Amsoil because I have a small local business that sells it for a good price. It seems as far as protection and longevity, these two oils are on par with each other as PP doesn't have a very strong TBN and what UOAs I have seen with Amsoil OE 0W-20, the TBN retention for this oil is very strong. The higher noack concerns me a smidge, but if I can keep fuel dilution down, it may not matter.

I also like the thinner nature of Amsoil OE and it seems to have better cold flow properties despite the difference in pour point. Not sure how that works, but whatever.

Glad you picked an oil.

According to Pablo, you based your choice off of "not real" data. How does that make you feel knowing that Amsoil's and Pennzoil's data isnt real?
smile.gif

All-in-all im kidding. This is just silly.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I like PP, But there is no way someone can sit anywhere and type "SS and PP/PU are the same base stock."

When comparing spec sheets, PU and Amsoil SS have very similar characteristic. One could assume they use similar basestocks.

Have you taken a look at the Mazda 0W20 with high moly synthetic oil?
It is certified by Mazda for use in sky active engines and is GF5 SN.
I think it's about $6.80 a quart. Its a little more expensive but well worth it.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Have you taken a look at the Mazda 0W20 with high moly synthetic oil?
It is certified by Mazda for use in sky active engines and is GF5 SN.
I think it's about $6.80 a quart. Its a little more expensive but well worth it.

I have, but I'm a baller on a budget. Plus, from what I can gather that oil likely has a high noack.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For me, Amsoil is all or nothing (pure "100% Synthetic"). Otherwise, I'd just run the PP or PU if you can find it.

The oe line isn't 100% pure syn. Sorry.
I do like amsoil though but cost kills it for me. When I can buy jugs for 24 bucks but that same 24 bucks doesn't get me 2 quarts of amsoil I gotta consider value per dollar spent.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For me, Amsoil is all or nothing (pure "100% Synthetic"). Otherwise, I'd just run the PP or PU if you can find it.

The oe line isn't 100% pure syn. Sorry.
I do like amsoil though but cost kills it for me. When I can buy jugs for 24 bucks but that same 24 bucks doesn't get me 2 quarts of amsoil I gotta consider value per dollar spent.

The OE line should be around $4.50-$5/quart. It is very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back