Amsoil OE 0W-20 vs PP 0W-20.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these threads are silly but I wanted some outside input.

I am considering these two oils for my Mazda. I can get them both at the same price (~$24 after taxes). I'm fully aware of the specs of these oils and PP's lower NOACK is the only difference I can tell and there is no guarantee I'd get the latest version of of PP 0W-20 since that lower noack base was a recent update.

In the end, I know it won't really matter but I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used these oils.

Sorry for the dumb question: PP is Platinum Penzoil? I know everyone uses the acronym, I'm just a little thick.

I'm an Amsoil guy but always interested in other oils that beat their numbers.

Thanks!

PP is the better oil IMO. Meets more demanding specs (HTO-06) and is using Shell's latest clean detergent technology.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
PP's lower NOACK is the only difference I can tell and there is no guarantee I'd get the latest version of of PP 0W-20 since that lower noack base was a recent update.

I wasn't aware that there was a recent change to PP 0W-20 basestock - but if it is true, and you know when the changeover took place, you could check the date of manufacture on the back of the bottles and compare.

Pennzoil Platinum all the way. The new December 2012 specs look like its on par with Amsoil Signature and Redline.

A step up would be Renewable Lubricants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
PP's lower NOACK is the only difference I can tell and there is no guarantee I'd get the latest version of of PP 0W-20 since that lower noack base was a recent update.

I wasn't aware that there was a recent change to PP 0W-20 basestock - but if it is true, and you know when the changeover took place, you could check the date of manufacture on the back of the bottles and compare.

I have tried finding that before and I couldn't. Do you know where it is on the bottle?

QSUD, same stuff, 21 bucks at vallmort all day for 5qts. Sub in 1/2 qt RT5 10w30 in the warm months and you're good to run hard.

BUSTER - The (now defunct) honda turbo engine HTO-06 was a 30 grade ONLY spec, was it not?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
QSUD, same stuff, 21 bucks at vallmort all day for 5qts. Sub in 1/2 qt RT5 10w30 in the warm months and you're good to run hard.

BUSTER - The (now defunct) honda turbo engine HTO-06 was a 30 grade ONLY spec, was it not?

QSUD is not the same stuff. None of thw walmart stores in my area carry it anyway.

Last edited:

Ah yes you are correct ACRCO.
thumbsup2.gif

QSUD is not the same stuff. None of thw walmart stores in my area carry it anyway.

Curious how the Kendall GTX 5W 20 is working in the Escape. Have been thinking of using in my Altima 2.5.

Originally Posted By: walk23

Curious how the Kendall GTX 5W 20 is working in the Escape. Have been thinking of using in my Altima 2.5.

It has been good as far as I know. I will be doing a 5k UOA. I think I'm about 1k into that OCI right now in a fairly severe service application since it is the stay-at-home wife's car and she is essentially a short tripper 90% of the time.

For me, Amsoil is all or nothing (pure "100% Synthetic"). Otherwise, I'd just run the PP or PU if you can find it.

QSUD is not Interchangeable with PP? I did not intend to infer that QSUD is same as SSO.

Originally Posted By: buster

Ah yes you are correct ACRCO.
thumbsup2.gif

Nice spec to carry anywho, wouldnt you say
smile.gif
Really suprised that honda killed the turbo 4 in a light CUV (for a 6-er) when everyone else is going exactly THAT direction
confused.gif

Just looked on Pennzoil site in fine print it says the platinum is superior to Their own conventional or synthetic blend. I use amsoil I never liked using any oil that the company doesn't back up with a mileage warranty. So far no one's willing to touch amsoils 25,000 guarantee. Does Pennzoil, no, other than telling you to go by your manual. Amsoil and Mobil1 seem to be the only ones willing to back their own product for at least 15,000 miles.
-srv

Originally Posted By: ChemicallyChargd
Just looked on Pennzoil site in fine print it says the platinum is superior to Their own conventional or synthetic blend. I use amsoil I never liked using any oil that the company doesn't back up with a mileage warranty. So far no one's willing to touch amsoils 25,000 guarantee. Does Pennzoil, no, other than telling you to go by your manual. Amsoil and Mobil1 seem to be the only ones willing to back their own product for at least 15,000 miles.
-srv

Technically they don't back up anything. M1 EP has a fine print to follow manufacturer recommendation regardless of their 15,000 mile claim. That is to cover their butts from damage claims. Good luck claiming damages. I believe the same goes for Amsoil.

I would not run any oils past 15,000 miles without a bypass filtration setup or the vehicle has a very large oil sump.

When a company has a Guarantee* means you have to read the fine print. Any company can make awesome claims the fine print always gets consumers.

Last edited:
QSUD is not Interchangeable with PP? I did not intend to infer that QSUD is same as SSO.

I'm not sure what you are talking about...

You said QSUD was "same stuff." That had to be comparison to PP 0W-20 or Amsoil OE 0W-20. QSUD is not the same as PP. The base stocks are different and none of the published numbers are the same between PP and QSUD. PP has a much better basestock than QSUD.

Not sure where SSO came from since that isn't being discussed.

In terms of base-stock quality, I would say the new Pennzoil Platinum and Amsoil Signature 0w-20 are more comparable than OE
Amsoil does have a slight VI edge, and better high-temp properties however. And likely a superior additive system.

The edge is given to Amsoil SS 0w-20, but PP beats out OE and XL anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back