Amsoil engine flush...snake oil scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never owned a vehicle that actually needed a flush .
The point is always missed, you don't need these products if you use them regularly, at least that's how I manage it in my head. If your car is hammered then using these is really too late. It's just an extra step during the drain that *could* help prolong a clean engine.

The way I approach this is that they are a prevenative vs. a reactive product. Using this each change/once a year/whatever likely improves the overall drain you get and *may* loosen/remove some minor amounts of "stuff" inside so why not.
But is there really anything going on? Especially if you are refilling with the same oil? Perhaps the chemical "stripping" of the old oil and might have some merit? But I see less and less value as I "learn more". Plus, I would say that most here take pretty good care of their cars, (or at least outwardly say they do)........using good oil. Should there be any type of nastys in the engine that could or would need to be removed, that a chemical cleaner could remove? Or should?

This eludes to "varnish" on the engine surfaces being bad. And by "varnish" I mean a discoloration. Is that really bad, or at least something to do away with?

I mean, compare it to a coil wash on a heat exchanger. If what you are left with is bright shiny metal, what is happening? Corrosion.

The patina that forms on the surface of copper is a protective layer of copper oxide, pipes that have this will last almost indefinitely..... Un-coated aluminum, very very quickly forms a layer of aluminum oxide on the surface, which makes it have a dull appearance.

Could chemical flushing really be a bad thing?

The way I approach this is that they are a prevenative vs. a reactive product. Using this each change/once a year/whatever likely improves the overall drain you get and *may* loosen/remove some minor amounts of "stuff" inside so why not.
Totally agree Can help ensure you never get to that point.

But is there really anything going on? Especially if you are refilling with the same oil? Perhaps the chemical "stripping" of the old oil and might have some merit? But I see less and less value as I "learn more". Plus, I would say that most here take pretty good care of their cars, (or at least outwardly say they do)........using good oil. Should there be any type of nastys in the engine that could or would need to be removed, that a chemical cleaner could remove? Or should?

This eludes to "varnish" on the engine surfaces being bad. And by "varnish" I mean a discoloration. Is that really bad, or at least something to do away with?

I mean, compare it to a coil wash on a heat exchanger. If what you are left with is bright shiny metal, what is happening? Corrosion.

The patina that forms on the surface of copper is a protective layer of copper oxide, pipes that have this will last almost indefinitely..... Un-coated aluminum, very very quickly forms a layer of aluminum oxide on the surface, which makes it have a dull appearance.

Could chemical flushing really be a bad thing?
Not sure - about the same as those saying they never needed a flush in their vehicles...how do they know? Most of this entire site/oil "life" is about speculation I'm afraid/most won't admit it.

It's a simple solvent added to the oil that thins it out a bit and *may* provide some positive benefit for ringlands etc. w/r to removing some deposits. I have used the LM product many times in all of my VWs - I have a before/after UOA which of course shows only the slight decrease in viscosity.

Folks make it sound like you are going to hurt your engine or that this is a major draw on your personal funds..it's like $15 once a year (?) and if it helps even a little, why not? Folks spend tons of money on UOAs and fancy high-end oils for mundane daily use vehicles used to drive to the store where ST would be just fine on this site but get fired up over this topic, it's hilarious.

Most of this entire site/oil "life" is about speculation I'm afraid/most won't admit it.
I agree.
Folks spend tons of money on UOAs and fancy high-end oils for mundane daily use vehicles used to drive to the store where ST would be just fine on this site but get fired up over this topic, it's hilarious.
Too right. I would argue that daily drivers are in some ways under much more stress on the lube as a high performance vehicle, but maybe that is a different matter, and even more so for a daily, that is also used for HD purposes, like what I used to do for the past 11 years.......TBH, I flush every so often and compare the used oil before and after the flush, and sometimes I can see a difference in the shade. Does that say something? Yes, but what?

Maybe next time I do a OC I will flush and send both samples for analysis. That will sure make a good thread on here, for general knowledge, mostly entertainment though.

Have you had any noticeable improvements with HPL in your Super Slug Bug?

I agree.

Too right. I would argue that daily drivers are in some ways under much more stress on the lube as a high performance vehicle, but maybe that is a different matter, and even more so for a daily, that is also used for HD purposes, like what I used to do for the past 11 years.......TBH, I flush every so often and compare the used oil before and after the flush, and sometimes I can see a difference in the shade. Does that say something? Yes, but what?
Can you post any data?
Maybe next time I do a OC I will flush and send both samples for analysis. That will sure make a good thread on here, for general knowledge, mostly entertainment though.
I have a post on this if you've seen it, a few years ago, pulled a sample, added LM flush, ran it 15 min, drained/collected sample. Zero difference beyond viscosity. But as many here preach, UOA isn't really the way to do this.
Have you had any noticeable improvements with HPL in your Super Slug Bug?
Not a one - I'm just being honest. Nobody would know the difference between LM and HPL just driving it. Oil temps the same etc. What I have seen is more viscosity retention which is what I was after.

Can you post any data?
What both UOAs? Sure, if I remember to get the stupid sample, a common mistake I make, go figure. In this case two stupid samples. I do need to change the oil in one truck, it has sit quite a bit this last 6 months and the OLM states 25% or so.
But as many here preach, UOA isn't really the way to do this.
Well, for the common folk it is. I sometimes strain through cotton and the like, just for fun, perhaps I will take some pictures. or make a video
more viscosity retention
This was my experience with Amsoil SS, the viscosity did not change from a virgin sample to used sample, very little, enough to say that one of the variables might have been the test. I also did some temp testing, and MPG testing and found no difference, which was expected. The viscosity durability is something else though, very impressive, maybe the most important characteristic.

Hi,

I just watched a You Tube video with the guy who sells Amsoil, swearing by the Amsoil engine flush. To me, the guy comes across as a total snake oil salesman.
So is this product a total scam and NEVER should pour this in your engine, or the real deal?

Thanks
Michael
is he from Las Vegas? That guy just gives me the uncertainty. I'd buy all my Amsoil and food from @Pablo as he's well educated with both products.

Amsoil is a fine produce , what are you flushing for? Probably using their oil would clean up what ever needs cleaning up.

The point is always missed, you don't need these products if you use them regularly, at least that's how I manage it in my head. If your car is hammered then using these is really too late. It's just an extra step during the drain that *could* help prolong a clean engine.
So once again , something I have been doing or in this case NOT doing for the last 50 years is wrong and I should change my ways ... And once again I think I'll just keep NOT doing what works for me . ;) But you boys keep doing the same . Somehow we'll all get by .

So once again , something I have been doing or in this case NOT doing for the last 50 years is wrong and I should change my ways ... And once again I think I'll just keep NOT doing what works for me . ;) But you boys keep doing the same . Somehow we'll all get by .
I don't believe anyone said you are doing something wrong or should use this/change anything. If you want to use it...cool. If not, give zero cares. Folks aren't idiots for using these products. Why is this topic so challeging for some folks?

I don't believe anyone said you are doing something wrong or should use this/change anything. If you want to use it...cool. If not, give zero cares. Folks aren't idiots for using these products. Why is this topic so challeging for some folks?
It's obviously a discussion / debate . Not everybody is going to agree . Nobody should take it personaly .

Yeah was it Eben? Synthetic oil protection bozo. Always acting a fool and talking smut.
A real irritant... 😔
The village oil pervert. He kinda gives people who do this for an extra income or passion a bad name. I don't care how good a product is, if the sales guy is a D, it's hard to buy with confidence at all. My mom and dad bought the last Toyota H CR or whatever it's called and they love the service department but the sales guy was a complete dufus.

Amsoil flush isn't like other flushes out there that depletes additives. Amsoil flush has a high detergency to clean the engine. Nothing in it is not friendly with the engine additives. And it isn't something you run for weeks.

Amsoil flush isn't like other flushes out there that depletes additives. Amsoil flush has a high detergency to clean the engine. Nothing in it is not friendly with the engine additives. And it isn't something you run for weeks.
How do you know this? And depletes additives? How does that happen?

Detergency in oils has nothing to do with cleaning existing deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back