Amsoil AE first impressions (k&n previous)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my amsoil ae panel filter for my 2004 WRX. I must say it did not look as nice as i though a 40 dollar filter should look. But here are a few more things i noticed when comparing the 2 filters)

1) K&N has 2 metal rods to supply rigidity
2) K&N has fewer and shallower pleats
3) K&N has a harder rubber for the mating surface
4) K&N when initially added felt like it added throtle response
5) K&N never gets completely clean
6) K&N was easier to install due to shallow pleats
7) K&N has rubber that bleeds into the air flow surface area almost as if it were dipped at both ends

1) AE is a nice blue, but does not look expensive
2) AE has alot of pleats, unable to compare to OEM
3) AE pleats are much deeper and seem closer together
4) AE filter feels like it flows much better than the K&N (butt dyno)
5) AE has a better fitment as far as in the air box, but does make it harder to close/seal the box due to the box design

over all impressions: Worth the money initially as compared to K&N. We will see if that changes upon cleaning time.

Joe

Please keep us posted scoob. I've got one sitting on my workbench for my F-150. If this thing works anywhere near as well as the hype, it will be a killer. Please add to the K&N column that it lets in fine dust like a sieve.

quote:

AE is a nice blue, but does not look expensive

The nono-fiber media is what costs. Donaldson has to get thier cut on the filter. Note-The patent number on the box is registered to Donaldson. You don't have to wash it and reoil like the K&N which is a pita. The nanofiber is attached to the exterior surface of the media.

I have one for each of my truck, already been in the 1992 Chevy for about a month. Compared to the AC Delco, it seems to weight 2x as much. The one for this truck is a round one, like the one in the image on thier site.

The EaA121 for my GMC retails for around 47 (PC cost 36.15) , the AC Delco is $40

[ December 30, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

The nono-fiber media is what costs. Donaldson has to get thier cut on the filter. Note-The patent number on the box is registered to Donaldson. You don't have to wash it and reoil like the K&N which is a pita. The nanofiber is attached to the exterior surface of the media.

I will agree on the K&N being a pita, but basically i was just trying to set the proper expecations about the look and feel of the filter.
grin.gif
I did not want to feel responsible for soemone buying one who was expecting snake oil type products (that look pretty but do nothing).

quote:

I have one for each of my truck, already been in the 1992 Chevy for about a month. Compared to the AC Delco, it seems to weight 2x as much. The one for this truck is a round one, like the one in the image on thier site.

I noticed it weighed more than the K&N but without a stock one to compare it too, i did not want to comment on that aspect.

But so far i have been happy with all of amsoils products.

Joe

I would like to know who makes them for Amsoil but they told me that agreements with several mfg's preclude them from mentioning the names in any advertising. So all they will say is that is several different mfg making them. One has to be Wix.

Except for the filtering media, I would say my EaA121 looks identical to the NAPA Gold (Wix).

Bowser

The blue color loook familar..

-

-

the round one is for the 1992 GM trucks.

I really like these filters. Wish they had one for my 2005 CTS....but it has a different type panel filter, not pleated like most.

Is this the same type of paper media that Purolator now uses for their air filters ??

[ February 05, 2006, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: LT4 Vette ]

Good question. Essentially what are the main difference between the Amsoil filter and the Purolator Pure One?

We need someone to get both filters and compare them side by side.
I've ordered Amsoil EaA. A PureOne is still not available for my application.

Did you mean the autorized licensee?
From the reports on this side the media in PureOne sounds to be exactly the same.
What would preclude Donaldson from licensing the technology to more than one company?

The Honda Toyo Roki filters appear to have the same blue media. Here is a pic of a Honda CR-V filter.
 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back