Am I wasting money with Amsoil/Schaeffers?

I don't think the Taurus needs an 80 dollar oil change.

The Diesel truck has a high dollar engine that may be worth putting good oil in. The VW is picky about oil but you will be well served just meeting VW spec.
Companies run Delo,Shell Rotells and Mobil 1300 in their $50,000.00 engines in their semis . It would seem reasonable if the syn oils paid off the all the nations fleets would run high dollar syn of " conventional " oils.

I figure engine oil is just about the last thing that's going to kill an engine in a car that isn't tracked. It'll be some freak thing like a snapped timing belt, broken timing chain, blown head gasket, valvetrain nonsense, etc. EGR on Ford's diesels has been doing a great job killing them for about a decade now.

I don't remember Shaeffer's being much more expensive than something like Rotella T6 or comparable synthetic HDEOs though. I've run it in our F250 w/ 7.3 powerstroke before and I wouldn't have bought it if it were expensive.

Depends on your definition of waste and what keeps you up at night.

Are you getting an ROI from the extra spend above any beyond a properly rated oil/ filter combo you can pick up at wal mart for 35-40 dollars?

There is a VERY high likelyhood you are not - especially if you are running normal OCI intervals.

Last edited:
Companies run Delo,Shell Rotells and Mobil 1300 in their $50,000.00 engines in their semis . It would seem reasonable if the syn oils paid off the all the nations fleets would run high dollar syn of " conventional " oils.
Yeah, Motorcraft is not exactly jet oil … and DMax comes with Delvac and so on …

I've used Schaeffer's oils for almost 5 years now. I use it in the Vortech Supercharged mustang and in the 2015 Ford Escape.

Oil is cheap, engines are not. :cool:

I've run off the shelf M1 0-w40 in that 700 HP marine engine in my avatar since 09.

It was NOT cheap.

UD

710.jpg
DSC05612.jpg
DSC05620.jpg

Whatever makes you sleep well at night. Lucky for me Mobil1 or Havoline ProDS let me get plenty of sleep, for much less.

Consider your oil changes a hobby. Hobbies cost money and if you had someone use Mobil 1 at a dealer it would be close to $80 out the door. It's not like you are buying Signature Series. But then again, are you autocrossing the car or do you do heavy sport driving, or do you own an older Hyundai/Kia that will gall up piston skirts and rod bearing?

My *personal* choice would be a name brand synthetic oil and put the money saved towards early/extra transmission, brake and tire service. Transmissions, overheating and accidents send way more cars to the junk yard than engine wear. I don't know know much about modern VW's so no opinion there.

It's your money and peace of mind. I wouldn't spend $80 for a Taurus oil change, but that is me.

How much longer to do run these OCI for? Does it make sense for an $80 oil change opposed to 4 $20 supertech oil changes?

Just consider this, many of people spend $50-100 for full synthetic oil changes all day long at their local dealership or express lube on a regular basis. So, like many other people stated, whether it is worth it or not is completely up to you. The oil industry already makes a killing in profits and I prefer to not line their pockets myself. So, I try to find good quality oils on clearance that work well for my vehicles.

I change on 5K intervals. BS labs has told me to go further on every car I have tested. For me, I have used Stupertech all the way to M1. I've never had an oil related issue, nor have I ever had any sludge or heavy varnish. If you are running 10K+ oil changes, then maybe it would be worth using the boutique oils. In the end, it is what you feel better with, and what works for you. I have never used Schaefer's, but I have used Amsoil. I find no improvement over M1. both are great oils. Use what makes you feel better, and what you can comfortably afford.

My personal opinion. No. Not unless you are taking full advantage of XL by running l o n g extended oil changes.

Having spent a fair amount of time here on BITOG, reading experiences of others and looking at many UOA that have been shared here, I've reached the conclusion that all that is required to protect an engine is to use an oil that meets the engine specifications. Some here report finding an oil that their engine burns less oil with. Or it runs quieter. Or they think they get better fuel economy. If that is the case, then that oil is worth the money.

But I don't believe that using $12/qt. oil protects an engine any better than $2/qt. oil. Assuming both meet the specifications called out for.

But hey, use what makes you feel good. I do. I pay $17/qt. for Bosch DOT3/DOT4/DOT5.1 brake fluid when I know that $7/qt. Prestone DOT4 would be fine for my driving style. So do what you like.

Reactions: JC1
I’ve used pp, M1, amsoil, Valvoline white bottle and Syntec, SuperTech (just posted a uoa using super tech 5W20 Dino in my accord).
Only you can answer wether it is worth it to you or not. I could do 10K+ oci’s but like changing my oil so I’m gonna be sticking with 5000 mile oci and PYB, so for me it’s not worth the extra $ for the better, longer boutique oils

Back