Am I wasting money with Amsoil/Schaeffers?

What is the documented protection those oils are going to give you over say Mobil 1 EP. Not BS I said documented. They think they'll maybe give you 100K more miles of engine life?

Companies run Delo,Shell Rotells and Mobil 1300 in their $50,000.00 engines in their semis . It would seem reasonable if the syn oils paid off the all the nations fleets would run high dollar syn of " conventional " oils.
Exactly this. When I drove trucks OTR, it was always Rotella 15w40 once a month.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money for Amsoil XL, isn't that more comperable to Mobil1 EP which is significantly less expensive, the only Amsoil line that makes sense to me is the Signature Series since it's a flagship botique oil the rest of their stuff just seems to attempt to compete with a market segment that has much better priced options.

If you're not going to get the, full benefit of Amsoil XL then run the OE. XL has tbn of 10, OE is 8. Other than that the two oils are identical. Price difference is $2.20/qt. Both are very good products but so are the major brands. I like the Amsoil stuff but that's me. The hths is 3.3 for the 5w30's.

What is the documented protection those oils are going to give you over say Mobil 1 EP. Not BS I said documented. They think they'll maybe give you 100K more miles of engine life?

Amsoil for one, has their marketing numbers for their SS line of oils on superiority, as far as engine wear/consumption/durability/extended OCI's/etc..

Whether you want to fall for their marketing or not, is another matter.

BUT, I would believe Amsoil's marketing over conjecture all day, relative to people stating something such as PYB will perform just as good, as long as OCI's are done properly.

We all know that majority (if not ALL) of modern day certified motor oils will be sufficient. But if we are breaking down numbers and statistics and comparing oils to oil, I would have to believe one would be better than the other. If we're discussing saving money while providing sufficient benefits, of course that is a different debate with a different outcome.

The truth is it is usually cosmetic issues or narcissistic issues (not wanting to drive a boring or unstylish car) or other non-engine related mechanical failure that takes us out of our vehicles.

There’s a lot more to getting a long service life out a vehicle than OCIs.

The fact is that few of us will still be be driving that car bought new at 175k + miles where the advantages of an ultra-premium oil (if any) would be realized.

Change the diff oil instead and keep the car waxed.

On some things in life it's worth spending top dollar on.
The ROI in terms of longevity, very high quality, ease of use, comfort and so on is what you will value the most and remember.
Not the money you paid.

Motor oil is not one of those things.
Are you wasting money?
Only you can decide.

In the grand scheme of things, engine oil is a very small component of a vehicle's operating costs. You probably spend more money on fuel each week than engine oil (for an OCI).

However, it is unlikely that Amsoil is worth the added cost over an off-the-shelf synthetic oil from a major blender. At least not for most applications.

I've ran a few of the "high end" oils, and though I respect them and they are amazing, it's not worth the cost in my opinion. My opinion comes from me changing oil every 5,000 miles and that's what most owners manuals will state to do if it's severe driving. Most of us fall under this category anyways. I find the severe service for any car I drive and just follow that.

I've never had any problems doing this, and honestly for 81 (which I've spent before on Redline) you could easily change your oil using any brand every 5000 and break even or better.

But do you even need a top-end oil to manage extended OCI’s? My BMW 520d has 2 year/18,000mile OCI with any oil that meets BMW LL04.

IMO yes it's a waste of money. I've never got rid of a vehicle due to engine failure or oil consumption. It's always been wreck, rust, transmission starting to slip or that particular vehicle not fitting my current needs.

I'll chime in too, why not.

I don't believe the boutique synthetics are worth the premium over the mass market synthetics you can get at Wally World and parts stores. I wait for the sales and closeouts on the M1, PP, Edge, ProDS, etc. If I had to pay full price for full synthetic I'd probably get Supertech with D1G2.

Here is an excellent example of how well M1 can do on a sometimes trouble prone engine, the 5.4 3V.

Last edited:
I think of it like this. I need a 25 foot ladder to get on the roof of my two story house. I could spend more and get a 40 foot ladder. Is the 40 foot ladder better than the 25 foot ladder? Do I benefit from the extra 15 feet?

I find the lowest cost oils that meet the specs for the cars in my signature. That's 5w30 Dexos1 gen 2 for the truck, and 5w30 A5/B5 for the car. No need for anything extra.

The market is much different than it was 20 years ago. 20 years ago, the only synthetic off the shelf that was good was Mobil 1. Now we have top notch synthetics from Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil and Shell. Castrol and Mobil have 20k mile oils. They all meet the same specifications and exceed the minimum standards by quite a bit.

I'm gonna go ahead and say you need to change to less costly oils (says the guy who uses Mobil AP/EP), not withstanding my hypocrisy....I'd use ST on the Taurus and Mobil 1 0w40 for the VW.

why is amsoil being criticized and doubted about there wear,cleanes,noack and what not like no other company? noboby doubt m1 for there cleaning ability,nobody doubt redline for there film strengh whats the hard on on amsoil?

Back