Alcohol Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Cut back on my drinking quite a bit since the original post. Now only consuming alcohol (various amounts and types) 2-3 days per week, while the other 4-5 days are sober.

Why? Decided that drinking 3-4 (high ABV) beers a night was well on pace to becoming an alcoholic. Feel better in the morning as well.

Saturday nights are still game on, though.
cheers3.gif

I had to cut back on my Leinenkugel consumption myself. Found myself purposely drinking on an empty stomach for effect. I am 5'9" 270, so it takes a few anyway to get the effect. Enough problems without adding being an alcoholic to the mix. Now I have been drinking a lot of filtered cold water and root beer. I am lucky I can turn off the beer buying for months at a time, especially since I carry the alcoholic gene from my Dad.

I once read what the consumption threshold is that doctors consider when you are an alcoholic, and I remember it didn't take all that many drinks on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I really didn't have much of a choice.
Some of us keep going down that road until we are faced with death, insanity, incarceration .... or sobriety.

Normal folks seem to have 3 options:
1. Don't drink.
2. Have a couple of brews after work periodically and be home for supper.
3. Drink until it's all gone and go looking for more.

I don't have option 2 in my personality and when I picked up the first one, the horse was out of the barn and the race was on !!

Luckily, I drank my share and I really don't miss it at all. Using the same 12 steps I will be smoke free for 3 yrs in December and I have no cravings whatsoever.

My sig right now tells it like it is for me .. I attend meetings regularly to keep my sanity.
thumbsup2.gif

I used to be able to put down a case in one sitting and walk away in a straight line. Also, could go to a bar and have several shots and quite a few very light colored rum and cokes. It started as stress relief with a six pack after a hard day and got to be a daily thing, one thing led to another... Fast forward 4 or 5 years... One day I went to the doctor and a blood test revealed elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. The doctor said I'd be dead pretty quick at that rate, so I told myself I would stop drinking for a year. I did that, cold turkey, and when the year ended I made a rule for myself: only 1 beer a day and I may drink 2 if I'm grilling. I never drink liquor. Tests over the years have confirmed my liver is functioning normally. A six pack lasts a week and sometimes more. I buy only good beer, I've had 'em all and if I'm only drinking one a day it better be a good one. All in all, life has never been better for me. My beer today is a Boddington's Pub Ale and I'm nursing it as we speak. It's like a Guiness lite.

A 12 pack of Red Stripe bottles last me about a month. I quit drinkin water beer 2 years ago. When I was young (30 years ago) my cooler was my best friend. Realized quickly that behavior could not continue for long.
10.gif

Friday nights I usually have a few Jim Beam and cokes.

Saturday night I'll have a few beers...depends on my mood.

I usually don't drink during the week, but if I go out during the week for a burger or wings I'll have a beer or two.

I very rarely drink to excess. I can probably count with my fingers how many times I've gotten sloshed.

Sprinter, not a long distance runner.

I enjoy full mouthfuls of Newcastle or Bass; 1 pnt is usually 4 mouthfuls for me and i'm done. Three or four in a 45 minute span and i ride the rest of the night out.....

I rarely have anything around the house except when I try new stuff (Tilburgs Brown Ale a good choice BTW) 1 six pack might last a few months.

Several years ago I stopped for 10 months as a test; I don't have the predisposition like several others in my family....

-T

I drank intermittently like a fish in high school. Couldn't go anywhere without drinking something even on class trips (Over 14 and you could legally buy low alcoholic beverages, like a shandy, over 16 and you could legally buy beer -- practically anyone over 5 feet tall could buy beer as long as he looked 12). Anyway, so there was some drinking going on, but I never drank when by myself. I also got drunk only once in the company of others, and that was due to underestimating the power or new white wine. I soiled an Austrian carpet, which I called justified retribution.

I do drink some alcohol, but very irregularly and usually to go with some kind of food. For example, with smoked pork chops, with pork roast or with a sausage with [censored], I do like a beer. A real pretzel requires beer. I like to drink some wine when I eat cheese. I use a fair amount of wine for sauces (alcohol vaporizes), I like rum over ice-cream and in coffee, I don't mind a grog at all. I also love rum pot fruit. I like sipping some nice port during a cold winter night. But I barely consume any alcohol really. It's more of a flavoring agent. And that's the story with which I'm sticking. *BURRRRP*

a case may last me about 3 weeks.

i may go without anything for 2 months at a time.

most i ever had, was at uni, a bottle of jack daniels in one night. it was glorious. straight from the bottle.

Just finished a case that I bought last year. Those hot days sure get a guy.
LOL.gif
I almost died from an infection earlier last year so I wasn't liking to drink anything till I got better.

Since my diabetes diagnosis I have gone from a case of beer (or two) a week down to a case a year. I still have a few Manhattans every other Satuday night, but beer and wine is out. The doc told me nothing is best but distilled spirits are the best choice if I had to drink.

Originally Posted By: Smitty
No Scotch drinkers? Give me a 12yr old single malt, The Glenlivet......that's pure pleasure......and don't drown it.

That's something I've wanted to try for a while. I've never had Scotch, but a couple of the older guys I work with have always raved about it. I think I'll give The Glenlivet a try around the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back