Alcohol Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering where peoples alcohol consumption stacks up against others. So the questions are how many drinks do you have per week? How is that spaced out?

If you don't drink, is it because you don't care for alcohol, or because you abstain for health or other reasons?

The reason I ask is because I was reading an interesting website that quoted a great number of medical journals, etc, that said people who moderately consume alcohol generally live longer and are healthier than those who abstain.

The other question is what exactly moderation is. In the US it's generally defined as 1-2 drinks per day, but in some other countries defined as 3-4 per day.

Anyway, personally I'm at about 2 beers a day. Usually a couple nights of the week I'll have none. Sometimes more on weekends. 95 percent consumed as beer. Occasional glass of whisky or some wine.

Last edited:
I will maybe have one drink every two weeks as a social thing, and then bend it and have 25-30 drinks once every three months as an anti-social thing. I broke the 20 in 20 minute record then broke a bunch of stuff that wasn't mine and hailed Mary all over my friend's living room.

Awesome.

I drink red wine with some food (cheese, mostly) on occasion. Not much, a glass to half a bottle. I cook with wine, but that doesn't count, because the alcohol vaporizes. I'll sometimes have a grappa after too much Italian food. I do drink port wine on occasion, mostly in the winter (in the ski lodge, after a walk on the beach, etc). I have a beer maybe every few weeks if I eat a roast or some other rich meat dish. I use lots of rum when baking, and I never eat ice cream that's not laced with rum. A 750 ml bottle rum lasts about 6 weeks.

I can't drink white wine due to an incident when I was 16. I start gagging if I even smell white wine. Largest amount I ever drank was 3/4 bottle Wild Turkey over the course of an hour. I was still walking (like a drunken turkey). Don't do that, kids!

You don't have to drink red wine to get the beneficial polyphenols and flavonoids. You'd be better off eating just a lot of grapes and yellow, orange, red and leafy green veggies. I wouldn't recommend drinking your way to health!
grin2.gif

Skol!

I drink no alcohol, and even when I did drink 25+ years ago I never was drunk. My grandfather had a tavern and my father spent most weekends in a tavern. It was common for my dad to drink a case a day. I remember my friends in high school saying how much fun they were having. By the end of the night they were crawling on the ground throwing up. Just did not appeal to me. Guess I always saw the down side. Worked in a Chemical Dependency Treatment Center 5 years. Heard a lot of stories and saw a lot of things. My concern now about drinking socially, even for health reasons, is that alcoholism runs in the family. I have seen enough to not even go there a little bit.

A six-pack of beer will last me a week or two. oilBabe and I have about 6 bottles of wine in the basement, and a semi-annual trip to the local wineries keeps us stocked up.

We did have some of her sorority sisters over last weekend and they/we knocked out two bottles of champagne drinking bellini's. (Champagne and Peach Nectar)

Man, I'll buy a 24 pack of Samuel Adams at Costco and it'll last me almost a year.

Go back to when I was 20 and that thing woulda lasted an afternoon.

If I remember the commercial correctly, it comes in brown bottles and the six pack cardboard runs higher up on the bottle to protect the beer from the light.

I can't legally buy alcohol yet and I don't have the urge to party and get drunk like some of the people I've seen around here. I have had wine before but that is on rare occasions. I've also sneaked a few bottles of beer from home. I can't say I like the taste. They were 2 bottles of Heineken and a bottle of Grolsch. I had them on separate occasions and since I'm not used to drinking alcohol I got buzzed with just one bottle. And I think I'm allergic to beer or something. All three time the morning after I would feel itchy all over and what's weird is the joint in my right index finger would always be the itchiest.

I turn 21 in five months and I think I'm gonna buy beer maybe wine just because I can.

I guess compared to you guys above my alcohol consumption pegs the meter! Typical week would be 1L of a hearty red wine (Shiraz, Zinfandel or Pinot consumed between M-F), 6-10 beers over the weekend and a coulple of oz of Makers Mark or Knob Creek bourbon consumed on the rocks.

Not [censored] [censored] white zinfandel...red zinfandel- if you have never drank one of these varietals I suggest you pick one up and try it. That other stuff you talk about is like "white merlot" I would feel bad about pouring that down a gutter because the rats might have to taste it!!

Is it 1L of wine daily?

Nothing wrong with Zinfandel - I drink it, too because my wife likes it sometimes.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: pickled
Zinfandel

You're a guy, right?
48.gif

Coming from someone who does the wine and cheese thing?
27.gif

4 drinks a day and healthy is an oxymoron. 4 drinks a day means you're a [censored]-faced alcoholic! 4 drinks a day will do long term damage to your brain, lungs, digestive system, and your liver? It'll probably look like a shriveled up rotten egg plant after 10 years of consuming that much alcohol.

If your having 4 drinks a day, those "drinks" will end up being the better part of a 5th everyday! Not good...

Better part of a 5th everyday is when you get your "professional" status card. I liked the old stories about Alice Cooper. He would drink a case of beer and a 5th of Jack Daniels pretty much every day when he was in the groove! Some of the rock stars are unreal! Speaking of alcoholism have you guys ever seen "Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicolas Cage and Elisabeth Shue (uh yeah she's pretty hot)?? WOW, now that's a movie that will make you set down a full beer and walk away from it!

Or, you can go the Nikki Six of Motley Crew route: bypass the liver altogether and shoot up Jack Daniels with a syringe!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back