Alaska Airlines AS1282 door blow out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allegedly..
IMG_5799.jpeg

It’s on Fox now. No paywall.

Some lack of process control or inspection, Probably not an engineering problem, would be my early guess.

It's kind of amazing. I started in aerospace in 1985. One of the first problems: Threaded fasteners. And was a common theme with all sorts variants in my career from faked Nylock to use of glyptol for marking. Final Torque indicated before seating. Use of locking compounds in space. You name it, I worked on it.

The sub-contractor installs after build angle remains interesting.

Last edited:
Well, it just became official. Loose bolts found by United.

United Airlines Finds Loose Door Bolts on Some Boeing MAX Jets
https://www.wsj.com/business/airlines/faa-approves-inspection-method-for-grounded-boeing-737-max-9-jets-c06c3234?reflink=integratedwebview_share

A on-off screw-up is understandable if unforgivable.
A pattern of failure is much worse. The whole basis of type certification is that the manufacturer can assemble completed aircraft that comply with that type certificate.
Pretty sure that aircraft with improperly installed fasteners that allow a plug to fail under low pressurization loads don't comply with the type certification given the type.
A failure of both process control and quality control.
Incidentally, Douglas was the world leader in commercial aircraft back in the day. When Boeing could hardly sell piston airliners, there were DC-6 and the DC-7 airliners all over the world. The company quickly developed the DC-8 when it became apparent that the whole jet thing was a trend and not just a fad and the result was an airplane more durable and much longer lived than Boeing's 707. The DC-9 was the same as compared to the 737. No DC-9 ever blew the top off its fuselage and the hour and cycle limits of both Douglas types were unprecedented. Then McDonnell got hold of the company and the rest is history.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4WD
On my last trip to Florida I sat in seat 26A, not sure what Boeing plane it was but it makes me wonder now...............

I just watched the NTSB brief. The plug came up and out. All focus is now on the 4 bolts that are supposed to prevent that from happening. None has been found, yet. IMO: It is highly unlikely that all 4 bolts failed/broke; I'd bet that 2 or more of the 4 bolts were missing/not installed. Hopefully the lab analysis will provide the definitive answer.

Anyone else bugged by the wording used by CNN? I mean, yes this was a bad thing....but they said something to the effect of "a large section of the aircraft blew off", I'm not sure a door plug on something the size of a 737 counts as "a large section". In the update above where they found the door plug they called this "large section" the "missing piece" instead.
Also the definition of "gaping hole" doesn't exactly match the door size hole in the aircraft.
I still believe Boeing is an evil corporation and likely to blame in this situation....but I just wish reporting was done accurately. This reminds us that when we're reading about something we don't already have any facts on, many word choices we see may have just to make it look more sensational.

Also the picture of the CNN news article about 777 difficulty maintaining altitude without fuel....was that a joke or was it supposed to be serious? Couldn't find the original news video.

Anyone else bugged by the wording used by CNN? I mean, yes this was a bad thing....but they said something to the effect of "a large section of the aircraft blew off", I'm not sure a door plug on something the size of a 737 counts as "a large section". In the update above where they found the door plug they called this "large section" the "missing piece" instead.
Also the definition of "gaping hole" doesn't exactly match the door size hole in the aircraft.
I still believe Boeing is an evil corporation and likely to blame in this situation....but I just wish reporting was done accurately. This reminds us that when we're reading about something we don't already have any facts on, many word choices we see may have just to make it look more sensational.

Also the picture of the CNN news article about 777 difficulty maintaining altitude without fuel....was that a joke or was it supposed to be serious? Couldn't find the original news video.
Superlative adjectives are often used by news services, but if I were sitting in the seat next to the missing door plug I can imagine I would add one more adjective to describe a great big hole.

Last edited:

Golden rule of journalism: “good news is not a news.”
Doesn’t matter organization, source, that is how it works.
Than you amplify it to achieve sensationalism.
On other hand, journalists are not obligated to know details. Just wait until something else happen to MAX, regardless how minuscule. I said earlier, Boeing has DC10 situation and than some. Add to that, that unlike in 1970’s, we are living in the age of social media, instant information.

That screen capture of CNN was legit, and took place during their coverage of Malaysian Air 370.

They took it down quickly when they realized how stupid it was, but, yeah, they actually put that up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back