Alaska Airlines AS1282 door blow out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using the AR feature of flight radar whenever I hear something flying overhead....I've realized there maybe more Airbus around here then I thought. Seems like Air Canada has a number of them.
The one sounded much closer than usual and I realized it's because it was already descending into Ottawa (2 hour drive East from me) after a short flight from Toronto (2 hours West of me). I never realized being this far from a major airport that I would be able to see them begin landing. I love this app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114-102412.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114-102412.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240114-102250.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114-102250.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20240111-174927.jpg
    Screenshot_20240111-174927.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
I thought the max 9 were all still grounded? Is it only the ones operating out of North America?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114-201303.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114-201303.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240114-201431.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114-201431.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240114-201720.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114-201720.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 12
Thought this was interesting. Yesterday Copa flew a MAX-9 from JFK to Panama City, Panama at 10,000’. Rumor was a special flight permit. Must have had to go unpressurized (?)

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 3.57.44 PM.jpeg

Also not all max 9s have the plug door. Some use an actual exit door in that position, mostly outside the US. Looks like this one has real doors.
Real doors = no legroom. The doors weren’t needed on Max-9s flown by Alaska and United because they had fewer seats, and fewer seats meant that the fuselage could be plugged, since the number of exits is driven by the number of passengers.

Real doors = no legroom. The doors weren’t needed on Max-9s flown by Alaska and United because they had fewer seats, and fewer seats meant that the fuselage could be plugged, since the number of exits is driven by the number of passengers.
It ALWAYS comes down to $$. Cheaper to design a modular fusalage that can accommodate the loopholes/laws as needed. Isn't it great as an industry to think that way? Becides,emergency exits/slides are more expensive than plugs and they pass those savings onto you!

I'm sure these were negotiated laws beween the makers and lawmakers. Safety mechanisms should not be deemed N/A based on the number of passengers, or if the customer bought the "wiz-bang" model vs the base model. That's like saying airbags arn't included because you didn't get the leather seat option, or because you have a 2dr and not a 4dr.

How much is human life worth?

Last edited:
It ALWAYS comes down to $$. Cheaper to design a modular fusalage that can accomidate the loopholes/laws as needed. Isn't it great as an industry to think that way? Becides,emergency exits/slides are more expensive than plugs and they pass those savings onto you!

I'm sure these were negotated laws beween the makers and lawmakers. Safety mechnisims should not be deemed n/a based on the number of passengers, or if the customer bought the "wiz-bang" model vs the base model. That's like saying airbags arn't included because you didn't get the leather seat option, or because you have a 2dr and not a 4dr.

It’s clear that you don’t understand how certification and testing works.

It’s also clear that you don’t know that the number of flight attendants are based on passengers and doors. More doors = more flight attendants = more expensive flights.

You don’t need more doors, and the more flight attendants, when you have fewer passengers in the same “tube”.

The traveling public, that is, YOU, have spoken loud and clear - we want cheap.

The airlines have responded by saving the cost of extra crew when they are not needed. This is about optioning the airplane for the intended use.

Personally, I don’t think Spirit, or RyanAir, or others should be allowed to cram so many people in so tight that the extra exit is needed. If they didn’t jam so many seats in their airplanes, there wouldn’t be a need for the door at all - no break in the fuselage means no chance of failure. This failure point was added for all the discount airlines to be able to jam more people on the airplane.

But, you all got what you wanted– cheap flights - so, don’t complain about the engineering decisions necessary to stuff that many people on an airplane.

Again ,,,,, and my opinion which is worth a negative of zero is,,, airline and trucking industry deregulation was a huge mistake. The crew did all the right stuff.

"The traveling public, that is, YOU, have spoken loud and clear - we want cheap." perfect !

Again and my opinion which is worth a negative of zero is,,, airline and trucking industry deregulation was a huge mistake.
Well, 45 years later - deregulation is here to stay.

The problem with deregulation is that there were no real barriers to entry - any clown with backing could start an airline, and bleed the carriers that were doing a good job, then go out of business, leaving the industry hurt financially.

Remember Valuejet? A start up with cheap fares, old airplanes that undercut Delta in Atlanta, until the Valuejet safety culture killed everyone on board by starting a fire and they went out of business**. Delta was still there, but they were hurt by the shenanigans. People used to love Valuejet - because it was cheap.

The public has commoditized air travel. Everyone thinks that airlines are fungible, that maintenance, pilot training, and experience are all the same. They think that when the got on Valuejet, they were getting “Sully” to fly them…but that was never the case. The discounters have a history of inexperienced crews, and lower standards for both crews and maintenance.

But most travelers buy on fares alone. The buying habits of the public drove all the discount culture and the negatives associated with deregulation. The discounters that failed drove the big carriers to financial ruin, destroyed careers, and in part, caused the pilot shortage that now exists. Who wants to be a pilot when your best case is low wages at a regional or discount airline for decades?

Deregulation lowered fares dramatically. Flying is now accessible to far more people than it ever was.

But now, finally, 40+ years later, consolidations across the industry have bought financial and operational stability to the industry, and eliminated most of the bad effects of deregulation. Not soon enough for those of use who suffered thought the “lost decade” of 2001-2011, but enough that the industry is finally doing well, operationally (good for passengers) and financially (good for passengers and employees).

**They were grounded, then merged with AirTran after the crash, adopting the new name, and then were bought by Southwest. But not before lasting damage was done to a carrier that was doing a good job.

More exits do not mean it is easier for you to get off the plane...have you considered that more exits = more people to evacuate through them? It has already been stated that number of emergency exits and flight attendants are based upon regulatory compliance for number of passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t going to chime in but has a good laugh having my coffee.

Anyone who refers to cabin crew as stewards/stewardesses doesn’t fly much, if ever.

Trust me , if cheap people ( cheap versus value ) could book flights with ultra low discount airlines with no flight attendants, they would.

It wouldn’t be long before someone would sue the airline if they got hurt in the back when left on their own to deal with emergencies ( loss of cabin pressure, medical problems, evacuation , disruptive passengers, etc ).

Last edited:
If human life was precious to you, then you would not slide down but help others off the plane first, then GTFO. Or at least help those off the slide once you were out, but of course as someone not in the industry, I would be totally wrong with that line of thinking. DO NOT HELP PEOPLE. ONLY HELP YOURSELF. As someone not in the industry, only thing I remember from never flying inside an airliner that when the flight attendant didn't say "Put your mask first, before putting on others."..that is the only "self-serving" instruction (so that YOU can help others once you are still alive/awake), then it's do whatever you can to help w/ respect to following instructions from flight attendant--but of course I would be totally wrong.
Any Captain worth his salt would stay on board and ensure all passengers are off before taking the slide himself...

It ALWAYS comes down to $$. Cheaper to design a modular fusalage that can accommodate the loopholes/laws as needed. Isn't it great as an industry to think that way? Becides,emergency exits/slides are more expensive than plugs and they pass those savings onto you!

I'm sure these were negotiated laws beween the makers and lawmakers. Safety mechanisms should not be deemed N/A based on the number of passengers, or if the customer bought the "wiz-bang" model vs the base model. That's like saying airbags arn't included because you didn't get the leather seat option, or because you have a 2dr and not a 4dr.

So you're saying that we need (and have to pay for) let's say 10 exits and 10 flight attendants whether we have 10 passengers or 100? You're common sense seems to be inoperative.

More exits do not mean it is easier for you to get off the plane...have you considered that more exits = more people to evacuate through them? It has already been stated that number of emergency exits and flight attendants are based upon regulatory compliance for number of passengers.
And tested by the airframe manufacturer to comply with the maximum evacuation requirement.

I'm taking about the old lady in front/back of you... Do you help her or not? Jesus...
A representative cross-section of the general population is used for certification testing.

You really are out of your wheelhouse on this one and are covering that up with silly words and grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back