Aftermarket Air bag Clock Springs Recommendations

My 2011 2nd Gen clock spring went out at 120k.

I replaced with OEM. Didn’t even consider aftermarket on a safety item. I’ve seen lots of folks go either way. You’ll never know until you need it.

Make sure you transfer the steering wheel position sensor over to your new CS.

Scan tools with air bag diagnostics and reset are under $100 now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/284107724983?hash=item422623d8b7:g:RZ8AAOSwlEhgUFxX
My point is oce the airbag light goes on from a junk ebay clockspring you have to buy additional equipmentto fix the issue. OEM FOR AIRBAG AND RELATED SYSTEMS. I see all kinds of anti chinese junk parts posts here, but some of you are justifing purchasing an unknown quality component that literaly can kill you but you won't buy a **** wrench made in China. ***???

The only advice if you do decide to purchase aftermarket from Ebay is make sure the ad shows a zoomed in view of the connector terminals and match before you buy it. I bought a clockspring from Ebay with the title stating make model and year for my ‘03 Corolla. Even the provided search tab said it was compatible. However, upon arrival the connectors were different from OEM and guessing it was either Japan built or for North America models. To their defense, they did have a pic for people to verify but that meant disabling my car for a week unless you want to put it back together again. They were kind enough to give partial refund and I kept the clockspring.

Partsgeek offered both versions with pics and that‘s where I ended up buying from.

Ok so with all of this clockspring drama let me propose this scenario: let's say you are a sniper and you have one and only shot or you die. You have 2 rounds that you can choose freely. The first round is hand built by specially trained armorers that have a chain of custody and verification process for each step of the manufacturing process, but are very expensive OR you get a round from some unknown manufacturer with minimal quality control and 0 verification or chain of custody controls. That one shot determines if you live or go home with a toe tag. Is $150 bucks worth it?

The airbag system has many internal checks to make sure everything is working. If it was broken, the airbag light would come on. Toyota charges $225 because it can.
In fact, virtually the entire air bag controller is a test set for the system. Follow the manual directions fanatically by all means but I'd go with an aftermarket part.

the more i research aftermarket clock springs the more im finding out that they cause more problems than they really solve, most of the counterfeit springs that have Toyota OEM packaging for $30(Ebay) solve one issue but then present another, such as fixing the horn but causing the airbag dash light to come on, or cruise control erractic behavior probably due to poor construction of the part, just to fail completely in less than 2 years, my OEM lasted 7.5 years and 132k miles, again i wish there was a truely affordable yet reliable aftermarket option but in this case i dont think so, im not getting any hits on that Brand X compared to OEM is of eqaul or better reliability, only that i can buy 10 Brand X clock springs compared to 1 OEM and RR them as they fail in short order.

Rockauto.com Ultra Power for $35 is the most popular replacement option on there. Has option with or without cruise. Plus not a counterfeit.

Most last over 20 years or more. Don't think I've ever had to replace one.
Toyota 2nd Gen Tacoma’s have this problem. Same with A/C resistors/plugs/harness, door lock actuators, and… well ya know, rotting frames.

Ok, but otherwise they are pretty reliable? Worth paying the Toyota tax over the average Chevy or Ford? (sarcasm)
As long as you don’t have an ‘05/‘06 with the head gasket issue the engine and transmission are truly bulletproof.

The rest of the truck, not so much. You’ll be nickel and dimed just like anything else.

I love my second Gen - but When I buy a new truck it won’t be a Tacoma or Tundra.

I'll add that Toyota seemed to have a large number of failed clocksprings in their Gen. 8 Corolla (2003-2008) (including the related Matrix and Pontiac Vibe). I know two years ago there were a half dozen or more of cheap aftermarket China offerings on Amazon. Now there are none.

I don't know why those aftermarket offerings all disappeared. I needed one and was temped but elected to just get a used clockspring from a junk yard. The used one failed again in less than 6 months.

I have never had a failed clockspring in my other makes such as GM, Volvo / Ford.

Bought 2 off eBay about $15 each, I think both were sellers from China, the one that I used was in a Toyota box and I won that in an auction, and being I learned even Denso has factories in China I obviously wasn't too worried about quality, seems a lot of car parts are coming from there anyhow. That seemed the better of the 2, the other had the metal clip loose in the box so I got a refund and they let me keep it too, probably had no way to ship it back to China. Worked as intended, though I don't put a lot of miles on the vehicle, a 2005 4Runner, the sympton was the air bag light stayed on, as I remember it, been about 2 years since it's been installed.

Anytime a job gets complicated or too involved, it's OE only for me; particularly if there's a safety aspect to it such as an airbag. I want to be done with it, and forget about it without having to repeat the job.

Back