New Vehicle....When to Change to Aftermarket Fluids???

In the next month or two I'll be purchasing a new vehicle for the first time, either a 2023 Chevrolet Silverado or Chevrolet Colorado. Either one will have a 2.7l turbo four banger.

I've never owned a brand new vehicle before. Typically I get them with 50-200k on the clock and change all the fluids over to Amsoil, Redline or other premium synthetic fluids because I have no idea what the previous owner(s) did for maintenance. New vehicles nowadays are a little different when it comes to the maintenance schedule as some fluids are "lifetime" fluids which I don't really agree with.

What are BITOG's thoughts on the OEM fluids from GM? How good are they compared to the well known aftermarket oil companies? Should I just follow the Severe Service maintenance schedule and just either replace with OEM or aftermarket fluids or should I just switch over to something superior once the parts are broken in with the OEM fluids?

My intention is to drive this vehicle into the ground and get upwards of 300k miles on it, so maintenance and fluid quality will be important. I don't mind spending or perhaps even wasting money if I can ensure the truck has the "best of the best" and has a better chance of lasting for a long time.

Thanks!

23 Colorados are really nice. I like the new transmission and proven 2.7L turbo. As for fluids, GM uses AC Delco which has been made by one of the big companies - XOM/P66. Same with differentials. I wouldn't change anything out too soon. It would be a waste of time and money. Some dump the OE diff fluids out after a few thousand miles. I just don't think it's necessary. For oil I'd stick with any name brand. I think ideally while under warranty it's best to stick with approved oil in case something happened.

@buster with a 60k mile powertrain warranty I'll probably burn through that in 2-3 years. I imagine even the severe service schedule probably exceeds that. I'll probably just switch over to Amsoil or Redline when the warranty is up. Thanks!

Something "superior" is a very loaded question.

The 2.7L in both trucks is always paired with GM's 8Lxx 8-speed auto. This transmission has had a very tumultuous history, culminating in the development of the Dexron HP ATF spec to address the issues. Currently, the only ATF to support this spec is Mobil 1 LV ATF HP. By all accounts, it's a pretty darn good fluid. I mean, it was formulated specifically for the transmission (the 8Lxx transmission are the only ones that specify Dexron HP ATF) and it actually did solve the issues.

Is there a "superior" oil to this? You could dump in whatever Amsoil or Redline ATF they say meets the spec (which will probably be a Dexron VI ATF). I know they make really good fluids, but if the trans develops a shudder or torque convertor surge because the friction modifiers in the additive pack aren't just right, how superior is it to the fluid that was developed specifically to combat the shudder?

I own a truck (a Silverado) with an 8L90. My transmission fluid regiment is a full-on flush with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP every 50k.

I asked my mechanic (also a GM guy) when I should change transmission and rear diff fluids on my Sierra. He said 100k miles. He could have said "today" if he wanted the work. I trust he's being honest. He would send me to a transmission shop to get those parts repaired if they failed, so I know he's not gunning for a bigger job in the future...

With my first new vehicle I have done D&F on the PS and ATU at 20k and 40k. I will be doing 60k-70k too. I'll prolly bleed the brakes and try a fluid replacement at 50k, which should be soon. Moved everything to Amsoil (yeah, I know ;)). Oh, and my first OCI was 500 miles. Now I'm going 9-10k.

@MrHorspwer You are correct about the Gen-I 8Lxx 8-speed. GM is introducing a newly redesigned Gen-II 8L80 for the Colorado that addresses all of the issues and shortcomings of the Gen-1 model. Not sure if this is also the case with the Silverado. Hopefully they get it right this time.

Something "superior" is a very loaded question.

The 2.7L in both trucks is always paired with GM's 8Lxx 8-speed auto. This transmission has had a very tumultuous history, culminating in the development of the Dexron HP ATF spec to address the issues. Currently, the only ATF to support this spec is Mobil 1 LV ATF HP. By all accounts, it's a pretty darn good fluid. I mean, it was formulated specifically for the transmission (the 8Lxx transmission are the only ones that specify Dexron HP ATF) and it actually did solve the issues.

Is there a "superior" oil to this? You could dump in whatever Amsoil or Redline ATF they say meets the spec (which will probably be a Dexron VI ATF). I know they make really good fluids, but if the trans develops a shudder or torque convertor surge because the friction modifiers in the additive pack aren't just right, how superior is it to the fluid that was developed specifically to combat the shudder?

I own a truck (a Silverado) with an 8L90. My transmission fluid regiment is a full-on flush with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP every 50k.

I had one in a rental and , wow. It was not a good transmission. I've driven Jeeps with very out of adjustment 42REs that shifted quicker than that transmission! And boy did that thing shift constantly .... It shifted more than the 9 and 10 speed units from Dodge and Ford.

It's a bummer because I really like the idea of the 2.7T i4 in a 1/2 ton truck.

I had one in a rental and , wow. It was not a good transmission. I've driven Jeeps with very out of adjustment 42REs that shifted quicker than that transmission! And boy did that thing shift constantly .... It shifted more than the 9 and 10 speed units from Dodge and Ford.

It's a bummer because I really like the idea of the 2.7T i4 in a 1/2 ton truck.

Yeah, it's not the most refined transmission, especially run-of-the-mill part throttle upshifts. Spank it and it will give good, positive shifts, but otherwise it's not so great (especially compared to the 10-speed).

My truck is an RST, which is one of the few trim levels that has a "sport" selection in the driver mode control. Noticeably better transmission behavior. Slightly higher shift points and quicker shift timing gives less of a "gear-to-gear" hesitation between shifts.

I think your post is asking the wrong question. There is nothing wrong with the fluids the car comes with, and in my estimation, little to be gained by using expensive, boutique fluids. Still, I think it prudent to perform an early (2,500 mile) change of oil and transmission fluids, just to clean out the production residues. My suggestion is that you get the Silverado and fully expect that you can achieve 300k. I agree that the notion of "lifetime fluids" is imprudent and further note that in this vehicle, as others have implied, the transmission is what is likely to fail, probably after warranty. If I were in your shoes, I would stay with the AC Delco trans fluid, and probably go with M1, factory specs. Might be hard to do, since you'll be at the dealer for a while for service.

Immediately change to all SuperTech fluids as soon as you get it home? 😁
In the case of my vehicle which requires Mercon-V, Supertech is one of like 2 actual Mercon-V fluids out there. I'm not going to risk torque converter shudder by running a big name "compatible" fluid.

Wait until it's out of warranty. In the mean time research fluids. I recommend you change the transmission flui8d and filter every 50k miles.

There used to be a logic to change all fluids (if you were that AR) at 1000-1200 miles. I think BMW did it free back when.

As I recall, my 98 S-10 ZR2 mandated an “early” 7500 mile differential change for the limited slip unit.

I’d probably look at the early/severe service changeout and do it then, if money was really burning a hole in your pocket. If you’re running anything that doesn’t hold the required certs, you might consider waiting for warranty to expire.

For the record I always do use fluids with the correct certifications and approvals from the manufacturer...I just try to buy the best stuff I can when the time comes.

Comparing apples to oranges because the 2023 Colorado owners manual isn't public yet, but the 2022 model normal/severe schedule is below. The 2023 Colorado uses the Gen-II 8L80 vs the 2022's Gen-I 8L45 but otherwise most of the drivetrain except for the engine is the same.

2022 Colorado. Normal / Severe Schedule:
Front Diff: Lifetime / Lifetime
Transmission: Lifetime / 45,000
Transfer Case: 97,500 / 45,000
Rear Diff: Lifetime / Lifetime

If the service intervals end up being the same for the 2023 I'd go to the dealer for the 45k mile transmission and transfer case service just for warranty purposes, otherwise I'd probably just replace everything at 60k miles when the warranty is up.

And fun fact. GM calls for Dexron HP for the 2022 8L45 but the AC Delco stuff seems to be discontinued. Mobil1 LV ATF HP seems to be the replacement and also fix for the 8Lxx issues per various GM service bulletins. I'll have to wait and see what fluid the 2023 8L80 takes.

The engine and drive line make the most metal during break in. Does it matter? How long are you going to keep the vehicle? Will some one steal it or run into it totalling it ? Will the vehicle be a lemon and you end up keeping it for only 2 years before you get tired of it? I change my oils early but then I end up hating my self for spending the money to benefit the next owner.

Back