Can an air airbag clock spring be fixed?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
My 05 Scion tC (Camry drivetrain) had a recall about 14 years ago which required the steering rack to be replaced, and IIRC, the pump as well.

When I received the car back the wheels would turn more to one side than the other and some of subframe bolts were missing. Apparently they had a newbie do the recall. I told the service advisor and they had a "senior tech" correct the issue.

Well, the new tech popped the airbag clock spring which through an airbag light. I guess he tried to center the steering rack by turning the wheel while disconnecting the shaft. Regardless, the clock spring had to be replaced.

I waited another day to have the new part come in and picked up the car.

But....

I am wondering if the tech could have just repaired the clock spring, took it apart and reconnected the ribbon cable, or somehow rigged it to appear it is working meanwhile the airbag is not functional.

Is repairing a clock spring impossible or hard enough that it is easier to just replace the part even if the dealer is on the hook for the part? I'm temped to pull the airbag and inspect the clock spring for a manufacturing date or tampering to see if it was indeed replaced.

I'm not sure if I can reset the airbag light though on a 2005 Toyota or just to do this with the electrical system drained? I don't have the capability of resetting an airbag light but will buy the correct tool if necessary. I just want to sleet at night knowing the airbag is really connected.

When it's broken the other electrical stuff on the wheel won't work either, like the horn and the cruise control buttons.

> I waited another day to have the new part come in

Why would they do that if they were going to patch it up instead of replacing? Also there's legal liability for leaving the airbag non-functional but rigging the car so the owner wouldn't know it. You've presented a very far-fetched scenario.

When it's broken the other electrical stuff on the wheel won't work either, like the horn and the cruise control buttons.

> I waited another day to have the new part come in

Why would they do that if they were going to patch it up instead of replacing? Also there's legal liability for leaving the airbag non-functional but rigging the car so the owner wouldn't know it. You've presented a very far-fetched scenario.
Good points, I figured another day could be used to repair the clock spring. Ideally, I should have asked for a receipt or parts dept slip for the new part.

The shop already created a legal liability of poorly reinstalling the subframe. IIRC at least 4 large bolts were missing. Indeed a far fetched scenario but having the airbag work is a major concern for me. Horn and CC work just right so I feel confident the part was replaced.

Realistically it would cost more to repair a clockspring than the new part would cost. There is also a serious amount of liability involved in making an airbag system repair that goes against OEM procedures should the vehicle ever be in an accident and a bag fail to deploy.

I’ve fiddled with them before. I had a curious clock spring problem where it registered 180 degrees off, and I figured out how to re-index it. In that process, I looked at the possibility of taking it apart. Even with a healthy amount of confidence and tinker experience, i concluded, no way. I’m not sure it could even be taken apart without breaking plastic.

Dealer cost on an OEM Clock spring is likely around $100 to $150 bucks their cost max. They aren't repairing a clock spring. The labor is the costly part.

Back