Aftermarket Air bag Clock Springs Recommendations

M y 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma horn has stopped working and have 132k miles on the truck from researching I've found that the clock spring is at fault and need a new one, Im a very particular in buying strictly OEM parts but viewing some How-to videos on the replacement alot of Toyota owners are using aftermarket AMAZON/EBAY part for $40 or sometimes less stating that the qaulity and fit are OEM standards, the part is 84306-0E010 i have the steering wheel controls version and an OEM Toyota is $225 I've done all the proper checks making sure the clock spring is bad, all fuses good, no 12 volts to the horn connection, relay is fine and the horn will blow if the wheel is fully turned left or right but not with the wheel straight ahead. Anyone have used a qaulity aftermarket brand ?

Last edited:
1626713313591.png
$225:oops:

The airbag system has many internal checks to make sure everything is working. If it was broken, the airbag light would come on. Toyota charges $225 because it can.
i have researched my particular model OEM clock spring, and have found out it was manufactured in the Philippines by a company called Tokai Rika, its hard to find aftermarket parts seller that sells Tokai Rika auto parts only place I've found that has a listing for a Tokai Rika clock spring for my truck is PARTSGEEK.com and for $124 plus tax/ship and im not quite sure its the right model because i have steering wheel contrrols for cruise/radio etc. and theres 2 seperate models for having these controls and trucks that have no steering wheel controls, the $124 price lines up with the latter but cant confirm it with the PARTSGEEK info, most will call out whether with steering wheel controls or without 2 different parts somehow.

Last edited:
The original clock-spring in my gen 2 Prius went out before 100k miles and I replaced it with an aftermarket part that worked perfect. That one was still going strong when I sold the car 5 years, and some 90k miles later. The only thing I recall about the replacement were a few connector pins needing to be straightened.

The original clock-spring in my gen 2 Prius went out before 100k miles and I replaced it with an aftermarket part that worked perfect. That one was still going strong when I sold the car 5 years, and some 90k miles later. The only thing I recall about the replacement were a few connector pins needing to be straightened.
yes from what ive read its the connector pins that dont align as good as an OEM unit and may have to be bent for proper fitment, which does concern me a bit, i might wait awhile to see sometimes around certain holidays Toyota Dealers have discounted parts deals, its no rush its just my horn not working at the moment nothing else yet, and car inspection due 12/2022 so i can do a little more research before i purchase, looks like a pretty easy straight forward DIY.

yes from what ive read its the connector pins that dont align as good as an OEM unit and may have to be bent for proper fitment, which does concern me a bit, i might wait awhile to see sometimes around certain holidays Toyota Dealers have discounted parts deals, its no rush its just my horn not working at the moment nothing else yet, and car inspection due 12/2022 so i can do a little more research before i purchase, looks like a pretty easy straight forward DIY.
Before you do ANY airbag repairs, you must completely disconnect the battery (both the pos and neg cables) and then do a capacitive discharge by touching the disconnnected battery cables together. Then step on the brake to make sure there is absoloutely no residual charge left in your vehicles electrical system. Some folks will say this is an over kill proceedure but I have seen airbags deploy on body shop techs and its not pretty, not to mention its expensive to replace an airbag.

Last edited:
11 Tundra here. No horn unless wheel turned all the way.
Looks like a fairly straight forward repair. Same part#
Tough call. If the aftermarket spring fails the Air Bag system will alert you.
Lowest price on FleaBay is $15.00 shipped. 453 sold. Lots of A+ reviews.

We buy Toyotas because they are supposedly high quality but wans after market lpwer qualioty replacement parts?

Yes your airbag light will go on BUT it will need a shop level scan tool to clear, so its a trip to the dealer or a shop, for at least a diag fee.

If the OEM part was so good it wouldn't be failing so soon and often across different models.
Op didn't state the year but 2nd gen tundras are from 2007-2013. All mechanical parts will fail. The clock spring gets alot of wear and tear so a clockspring failure on an 8-14 year old car doesn't mean the OE part is junk.

exactly the same scenario i got no horn unless full lock left or right, no airbag or other lights so far,cruise works,radio controls work

Back