Additives that work.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
expat I have been testing RX before most here knew BITOG existed. My partner Ron has a forklift service business and he has tested it in 100's, if not thousands of forklifts. We probably have more 'real world' testing experience than anybody apart from Frank & Co. My years of testing showed me I needed to change the procedure, you not OK with that? If not why not.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
How about a list of oil additives that we've used that worked. Observations and comments welcomed. Please no product bashing.

I'll start with MMO. Tradition passed down from my father, kept our engines very clean (visual inspection). Most were driven under severe Long Island, NY commuting conditions.

AD

Seafoam - to remove crankcase moisture, as a mild flush, and to loosen sticking rings, lifters, etc... Works GREAT! On my new 08 HEMI Ram w/ MDS something was sticking with the special MDS lifters that caused a pretty bad shudder in the truck when MDS activated. The special MDS lifters actually collapse on themselves when MDS activates and kills the 4 cylinders and I believe there was some crud in there messing with it. 150 miles or so of Seafoam run in the oil and it cleared it up. Has not returned even 3K after the oil with the Seafoam was removed.

MMO - basically the same as above minus removing moisture. MMO has done some miraculous things for me if given enough time to work. It works slowly however so it can't be rushed. I have used it to store engines long term and free seized auto engines that were sitting for a long time. Both done the same way - drain all oil then fill the engine completely from the top( pull carb, throttle body, etc... )until the block is literally full. Keeps everything inside protected and free moving when long term storage will be done and the engine never turned over. If an engine seizes after sitting for a long time once full of MMO you give the crank a turn with a breaker bar every few days until it starts to move again. Takes a while depending on how seized it is but it will eventually free it up.

Restore - in engines with "mild" cyliner bore wear it does a good job, Restores compression and helps lessen oil consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KLowD9x
Lucas Power Steering fix (hey, power steering systems use oil too.)

My old 850 (see sig) started getting hard spots in the steering gear. So, I flushed out the old ATF with some new Castrol DexIII. Not only did it not fix the problem, but I lost ALL power steering assist.

Sucked the reservoir dry and plopped in (yes, plopped, typical lucas product, thick as molasses) a bottle of their power steering fix.

Five minutes of driving and the power steering system was as good as new! I was blown away. It was just a last ditch effort to bring it back before I dropped a few hundred on a new rack. This happened at about 120K miles. As you can see, I have more than doubled that mileage and the lucas is still in there.

So it's been a couple of weeks. How's that working out?

I have a '92 745 with 476k klicks on it which I bought last fall. A couple of days ago the steering got noisy and lumpy and I found it needed a half litre of fluid. The next day I had to add more, so I sucked out the reservoir and filled it with Lucas PSLS. It's quiet and smooth now, but I'm just wondering how long the fix will last. I've been reading reviews on line and see all kinds, ranging from complete cure to useless snake oil.

Can Schaeffer #132 can be added to HDEO oil and run in a turbo diesel engine? I read the TD sheet and it just said to add to "motor oil"...

Originally Posted By: sprintman
expat I have been testing RX before most here knew BITOG existed. My partner Ron has a forklift service business and he has tested it in 100's, if not thousands of forklifts. We probably have more 'real world' testing experience than anybody apart from Frank & Co. My years of testing showed me I needed to change the procedure, you not OK with that? If not why not.

Hey, No problem! Just as I stated, I did not have much luck with Arx after following Franks instructions, so I wondered if you had discovered a better approach that I might try, if I ever use the second bottle I have.
I assumed if Arx worked well the first time you used it, as per instructions, why would you change?

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
And I was getting used to not having you around...

Blame Stevie.

Sorry could not help it
LOL.gif

Auto-RX
Amsoil PI
Techron
MMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back