crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: c3po
Auto-Rx works great in the:

1) Transmission
2) Powersteering
3) Differential
4) Engine

This has been my experience as well.
I have tried a couple of other oil additives over the years too, but have no comment, good or bad.

I think the only way you can claim an additive works, is to have a problem that is cured by adding the additive!
Arx may produce Gunky bits in your oil filter when you cut it open, But who is to say that your engine may have lasted 300K with benign gunk?
On the other hand, a severely slugged engine that's burning and leaking oil, may benefit with a flush of Diesel oil of Auto transmission fluid, or a chronically worn engine improve by adding a thick goop like STP (Blue can)
But should that be an endorsement?

Quote:
But who is to say that your engine may have lasted 300K with benign gunk?

Sure it can last ..you can also live to 100. There's a difference between doing it on all cylinders ..or wheezing and in need of a ventilator.

..and how does one know it's benign gunk? ..well, I may grant you that one since it is probably inert carbonaceous debris. OTOH, it could be preventing your rings from moving freely and sealing properly.

Quote:
On the other hand, a severely slugged engine that's burning and leaking oil, may benefit with a flush of Diesel oil of Auto transmission fluid, or a chronically worn engine improve by adding a thick goop like STP (Blue can)

Sure, if that's what you want to do.
21.gif
I wouldn't do anything like that unless I had already written the engine off.

Quote:
But should that be an endorsement?

Perhaps. It would require you to have an audience of people who own worn out and neglected engines that are so severe in condition that anything goes.

With a few exceptions, most engine don't hit the yard in "worn" condition. They may have losses in compression, fouled oil galleries ...sticky lifters. Only engines subjected to severe neglect or are subjected to truly severe duty are "worn". Most are just dirty.

Gary Allan said:
Quote:

With a few exceptions, most engine don't hit the yard in "worn" condition. They may have losses in compression, fouled oil galleries ...sticky lifters. Only engines subjected to severe neglect or are subjected to truly severe duty are "worn". Most are just dirty.

Most engines around here arrive in the bone yard because their surrounding car either hit something real hard, Rusted, or just got plain Ugly!
In the latter case, you'll likely find 3 year old oil in the oil pan.
Honestly, for the most part, I believe people buy oil additives (NOT fuel additives) for reassurance. That's not a bad thing.
An old lady down the road rings a bell each night to scare the bears out of her garden.
It makes her happy and it works! There's no bears in her garden!

If you are going to run a motor for 300K, at least you can keep it performing respectably, for yourself, as well as the rest of us. It doesn't take that much of an effort.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
If you are going to run a motor for 300K, at least you can keep it performing respectably, for yourself, as well as the rest of us. It doesn't take that much of an effort.

Agree, change the oil on a regular basis, Air filter, PCV, If there are symptoms of a problem (Gas consumption goes up etc.) find the problem and deal with it.
Also keep the surrounding car in good order so you still feel inclined to do engine maintenance/upkeep.
The problem is, many owners do this for the first 2/3 years then loose interest.

expat, Your right they spend too much time on visual appearance and neglect the inner guts. Too much wax, not enough thought.

I read his post a little diff.

Most products for engines and car paints is not needed. Then again a wax? Most break down too fast in the FL sun...:)

I think es350 gets my drift.
The vehicles that I have known to live (and perform well) into high mileages have had regular maintenance over their entire life.
Though I believe this is not typical, in fact I would suspect that it's more typical for the NEW car to get the $ spent on it, even if it's not needed! where as a few years down the road and a model year later, preventive maintenance lapses.
I believe (and I believe that Mori is testament to this and has photos to support it ;-) ) that no oil additives are required if proper routine maintenance is performed.
Is there ANY Auto manufacturer 'in the world' that endorsed an oil additive?

Originally Posted By: expat
I believe (and I believe that Mori is testament to this and has photos to support it ;-) ) that no oil additives are required if proper routine maintenance is performed.

I guess you don't know that

1. my photo was doctored
2. my photo showed not my engine, but a low mileage AFC motor (made until 1997)

StevieC reminded me of this just today. How clever of him. I guess I'll be posting in the Additives forum a lot more! Thanks, StevieC. I'm sure your boss will be happy.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
I think es350 gets my drift.
The vehicles that I have known to live (and perform well) into high mileages have had regular maintenance over their entire life.
Though I believe this is not typical, in fact I would suspect that it's more typical for the NEW car to get the $ spent on it, even if it's not needed! where as a few years down the road and a model year later, preventive maintenance lapses.
Is there ANY Auto manufacturer 'in the world' that endorsed an oil additive?

I agree. Most cars need nothing more then the basics (in the manual). Just look at the cars that have gone 200K miles or even 1 million miles without anything but normal oil change etc (outlined in manual). Not targeting any product just what I have seen / read.

Now there are ZERO manufactures that will endorse any oil additives in writing. A few users said they did but when you ask the manufactures, well, you figure it out.

Issue at hand, as I see it, is users are tied to certain products and will push them. YMMV

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I guess I'll be posting in the Additives forum a lot more! Thanks, StevieC.

And I was getting used to not having you around...

Mori, why don't you focus your attention on the crumbling state of Kalifornia. Someone as smart as you can figure it out overnight...
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Fuel:

BG 44K
Chevron Techron Concentrate
Lucas UCL
Redline S1
Berrymans B12 Chemtool
Marvel Mystery Oil (remains an enigma here)
Amsoil Additive (no personal experiance)
Lube Control (no personal experiance)

Oil:

Marvel Mystery Oil
AutoRx
BG MOA (advanced/modern oil formulations may not need this now)

Transmission/Power Steering:

Lucas Trans/Power Steering Additive (controversial)

Coolant:

Water Pump Lubricants/Conditioners (use with G05 etc)

Differential:

Limited Slip Additive (unless GL5+ preformulated w/LSD add pack)

Windshield Washer Reservoir:

RainX Concentrate (or retail premade gallon bottle)

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
And I was getting used to not having you around...

Blame Stevie.

Why do some still talk about auto transmission fluid as an additive for gas or oil? All accounts I have read say it contains fewer additives than motor oil and zero effectiveness as a cleaner.

Originally Posted By: John K
Why do some still talk about auto transmission fluid as an additive for gas or oil? All accounts I have read say it contains fewer additives than motor oil and zero effectiveness as a cleaner.

Because the 'Believe in it' or "That's what dad used to do"
Plus the fact that they finally got around to changing the oil, may have helped matters.
Like I say, something must be wrong for an additive to put it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back