Schaeffers Moly E.P. Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moto,
You are the man, without a doubt!
patriot.gif

What made you test this stuff? Are thinking about using it? I have (350ml) and combined with Mobil 1 it gave me pretty good results. I still have one bottle. Not a lot of additives huh? What makes up this stuff? What's the base fluid?

EDIT: One more thing.....to those who might want to use it, do not be scared by the high viscosity. I added 350ml to 1 qt of M1 15W-50 and ~4.5qts of M1 10W-30 and the UOA still show in the 30W range. Once you mix this stuff in oil, it dilutes very well.

[ February 29, 2004, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

That's pretty close to the numbers I have as well, except for the antimony:

Moly 25
Phosphorus 120
Zinc 10
Antimony 64

Vi @ 100c 220

What you don't see is this type of analysis is the base fluid that is the carrier.

Gee MB, at first it was OK, then Texas, now North of the Border!
grin.gif

I have never used EP132, but from the lab results........it looks kind of lame.
frown.gif
Do these ultra low levels of additives actually help.........or is it just the viscosity increase, that comes from adding it to oil?

The strength of #132 comes from the antimony and the base fluids.

Antimony is a powerful AW/EP additive and an antioxidant as well; it doesn't take much SbDTC to accomplish this task.

The base oil is a combination of fluids that act as VI stabilizers, AW agents, and Friction Reducers.

Do anyone know what market they are targeting with this product ? IE : What situation should a person be adding this additive to thier oil and what really should the expected results be ? Should this be used with all oils or with certin oils ??

We have used it in the LC/#132 brew with great results. WE used it orginially to thicken up M1 10W30 and to get some extra AW/EP protection. The SbDTC and the base fluid are a great combo.

It will thicken your oil so start with 30 mL(1 oz.)/Quart and send in a sample of your engine oil/#132 mix to Terry Dyson to make sure the oil you intend to put in your engine isn't out of grade.

I haven't tried it in a 5W20 wbut it would be interesting to see the results.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

What made you test this stuff?

I only send stuff in that I'm interested in using . Instead of just filing these analysis's in a folder I post them so to share , that's all . With that in mind you'll not be seeing me post a STP analysis cause I'm not interested in using it .
smile.gif

Now the list here includes this one , Torco , Synergyn and Valvoline additives .

On another note , since I get vi at 40c at the lab I use it will be interesting for me to see how or if it changes when the miles accummulate on a couple of new oils I'm trying in both my Daughters and Mother in Law's autos . That is something I've always pondered on .

I think there are many possible positive uses of this product and one of them I have in mind for my use is to inexpensively counter the thinning of OTC SL ISLAC GF-3 10w-30 dinos which is excessive with some of them in my opinion based on analysis I've seen .

I really think a little of this added at around 2k miles or just right from the start will give improved results for me in a couple of family cars I service .

[ March 01, 2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

All the tought about product and this is what it is?! It an oil thickener, that's it. Moly of 32 for a product that advertises a Moly treatment, very lame. You would better of using STP oil treatment for $2 and your local parts store. If you do just want to thicken up the oil, add a quart of xW-50/40 for $1.

[ March 01, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: dagmando ]

quote:

Originally posted by dagmando:
Moly of 32 for a product that advertises a Moly treatment, very lame.

The brand name "Lubro-Moly" always made me laugh since it has no moly in the two VOAs on the board. It may lubro, but it sure doesn't moly.

ferb!

quote:

IMO,the benifit of #132 is not the additive content but the carrier used,
The sliperiness of all additives I'm not sure how polar it is but it could be fractionizing at the surface of the metel producing a thicker lubricant film just at the surface,this is what I found that brought me to this conclusion. The Control of Friction by Molecular Fractionation of Base Fluid Mixtures at Metal Surfaces.
While not an ester I'm wondering if #132's surfactant is polar enough to act in this manner.

I am convinced it is, because part of the base fluid is an ester. I am not at liberty to disclose what type, but suffice to say this ester is a special fatty acid ester.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

It will thicken your oil so start with 30 mL(1 oz.)/Quart and send in a sample of your engine oil/#132 mix to Terry Dyson to make sure the oil you intend to put in your engine isn't out of grade.

Mola,
The #132 stuff DOES thicken up the oil, but not a whole lot.
From my post above:

quote:

EDIT: One more thing.....to those who might want to use it, do not be scared by the high viscosity. I added 350ml to 1 qt of M1 15W-50 and ~4.5qts of M1 10W-30 and the UOA still show in the 30W range. Once you mix this stuff in oil, it dilutes very well.

After 4000 miles, the viscosity was 12.17cSt...high end 30W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back