Adding Baking Soda to Coffee

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My sister sent this video today. It suggests adding baking soda to coffee to neutralize the acids in coffee and make for a smoother drink and less stomach upset. Speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with coffee acidity, but you might. Anyway, here's the video, I'd be interested in comments. I don't recall ever coming across this idea.

Last edited:
Intriguing. I love the smell and flavor but it’s definitely hard on my tummy. Maybe will try it.

That you have to put something into it to make it drinkable tells you something right there.
Hahahah, I get your point :)

Of course, there are innumerable foods that require things like "cooking" to make them edible and nutritious. There is absolutely nothing unusual about having to sweeten, dilute, cook, mix, grind, powder, bake or process. Our new form of protein, ground up insects, is going to be unpalatable without major processing :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note, due to my autoimmune disease issues, Coffee makes me exhausted for the entire day. Regardless of how it's made. I wonder if baking soda would help that. I'll have to try it.

No need for the extra sodium. Get better beans!
Is baking soda a sodium-laden item?

(edit) seems like @Dave9 answered that question.

I've heard of low-acid coffee, although I can't recall where I heard about it. Maybe one of the brewers I've used over the years promoted it, just like decaf.

Is baking soda a sodium-laden item?

(edit) seems like @Dave9 answered that question.

I've heard of low-acid coffee, although I can't recall where I heard about it. Maybe one of the brewers I've used over the years promoted it, just like decaf.
Yes Sodium bicarbonate.

Even good Brazil beans and others are NOT high acid was my main point. Just buy good not overroasted beans.

Back