The stupid things we do when young

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitting here today cleaning out my desk and came across a notebook in the bottom most drawer, burried under all the stuff in it. Couldn't remember what it even was until I opened it and looked through it and then I remembered. Brought back a lot of memories.

Back in the late 90's a group of my friends "acting with the best of intentions" decided I needed a girlfriend despite my repeated statements that I was happy being single. They went online( Yahoo personals )and created a profile for me and started sending messages out to women they thought I would like( pretending to be me ). Once they were done they let me know and told me to watch my e-mail for responses.

Man was I livid with them. I didn't talk to them for months after that. Their hearts may have been in the right place but their heads were firmly wedged up their keesters. THAT was their stupid things done when young. Mine was how I handled it with the women who responded. In the notebook I discovered all the e-mails I had sent back and forth with them that I had printed and saved( can't remember why I printed them and saved them now? - maybe to keep what I said to each of them straight = reference ). I started reading through some of them and was shocked at what a tool I was.

Initially I let them all know that I had not sent the original message to them; that it was my idiot friends trying to fix me up. I should have said right then that I had NO INTEREST in a relationship and ended it. Instead, I kept on writing back and forth with those who responded back to that message. They all thought it was cute that my friends did that and how I was so embarrassed by it and such. They started asking me about myself and telling me about themselves. Like a moron I answered and kept it up.

No idea why either as I had zero romantic interest in any of them. To my young stupid mind I was just being nice I guess and I had told them it wasn't me initially so I guess I thought I was clear. Reading the stuff I sent though it comes across as if I was flirting big time and leading them on. To make it worse I sent all of them Valentines that year and a bunch of cute pictures of my dog. Yes, I did that like an idiot. Even the "enthusiastic responses" to those didn't alert me to what THEY thought I was doing and meant.

They started to ask me to meet in person to do stuff, a couple asked me out for dinner( one wanted her parents to come and meet me ), another wanted me to meet her kids, and the scariest one was the lady that asked me to be her date to her Sister's wedding! YIKES! I was stunned that women I had never met would ask me some of that stuff. Meeting to do something or for dinner ok( that is just a date and how many people meet )but wedding dates, meet the parents and kids, etc... was way too soon and spooky. It all freaked me out.

It all sort of came to a head around the same time with all of them and I FINALLY realized I had been leading them on( and doing an amazing job of it I guess - I couldn't have a run like that with the ladies if I tried! - still don't know how I did it? ). I got real stupid then. I panicked and started to ignore them all hoping they would go away. Only a couple finally stopped e-mailing. The rest sounded so upset and worried I finally had to respond. I was pretty awful. Not rude or mean, I just cut it all off right then and there basically blaming them for misunderstanding. A couple sent angry responses, 2 asked that I give it a chance, and the rest walked away and I never heard anything from them again.

I really feel bad, even now all these years later, over how I handled it. I was young and stupid. Inexperienced too. Reading the things I wrote to them now I am like "what were you doing?????". I think it bothers me the most that I lead a single Mom on. That is so uncool and she even mentioned she had kids in the 1st message just so I knew and could walk away then if I wanted. Even THAT didn't give me a clue they weren't interested in a pen pal like I guess I was thinking we would be. I deserve the dunce of the year award for all of this I guess.

Anyway, it was a long time ago but seeing those e-mails again and remembering what I did doesn't make me very proud of myself. I never intended to lead any of them on or anything but I ended up doing just that. No real loss for them though as I never was and am not now a catch. When I realized what had happened instead of being nice and fixing it I was a total jerk to them so they would go away. Not a high point of my life.

So, to Sandra, Laura, Jeannie, Lori, Christine, Sharon, Morrza, and Samantha my long overdue apologies where ever you may be ladies. I hope you found the happiness you were looking for.

Now I know why women always call men jerks. Because we do stuff like this.
33.gif
I have shredded those e-mails now and it is now all relegated to the past where it belongs. Never thought when I woke up this morning I would take such a sucky walk down memory lane.

NOTE - I know this has nothing to do with oil and cars. We talk about all kinds of stuff here. I just found the notebook today and it just struck me what a jerk I was. Makes me wonder if others have done stupid things like that when they were young they now look back on with regret and think "WHAT WAS I DOING???".

No, not at all. I am saying I lead them on. In no way am I laying blame on them. This is and was all about the stupid thing my friends did and the stupid things I did as a result I now regret.

Some of them I think wanted to go too fast( and I don't get that from the interaction we had )but I don't mean crazy. Lonely? Maybe. Crazy? No.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
That's what happens when you play hard to get!

crackmeup2.gif

That is EXACTLY what one of my female friends said to me when I told her what happened. She said I was playing HTC and it got them all riled up.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Single,multiple chickadees chasing after you........man you could've been living the dream!!
laugh.gif

I have male friends who would have killed for such a situation. Not my thing. I have dated fewer than 10 women in my entire life. Just was never into it. Fell hard for my high school girlfriend but no one else really. Haven't dated now in almost 20 years. Just prefer to be single.

THAT is what makes it so odd that I had the effect on them all like I did? As I said, I couldn't do that if I tried.

Last edited:
Well good on you for at least realising it wasn't right. We all do stupid things, and all of us look back in shame at some things we did when younger. I know there are some 'perfect' people out there who never feel any shame/regret but they are either kidding themselves or ignorant of the issue.

I'm sure most of us men have done stupid, callous things to women that we really didn't mean to do. If we could look back at how we related to women using a crystal ball, I'm sure seeing ourselves twenty or thirty years ago.... we'd feel like throwing up!

I was an idiot with women. I was a pretty attractive guy in my day, but I knew almost ZERO about how to interact with them properly. I could have been a real Rico Suave. But instead...I was a Barney Fife.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The stupid things we do when young

I thought you had finally come to your senses about your oil choice.

And now you use Royal Purple products.

ah poprivit, you beat me to it.

Last edited:
I was once an avid reckless driver. Too much Dukes of Hazzard as a kid. One thing I used to love doing was shoot off a road near my house and ride a sharp incline up that became a 5 foot embankment and then back down. I would get nice air and then go back on the road when it went to ground level. I did it many times on my own or with different people as passengers. I did not consider it to be dangerous. Someone showed it to their friend and then that friend tried it with his parents SUV and lost control, flew off the high part of the embankment and rolled it. No injuries but I felt partially responsible.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
So basically you are trying to say those women were crazy.
The crazier the better!!!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
So basically you are trying to say those women were crazy.
The crazier the better!!!

Its a shame that the ones that are bat**** crazy in the head, are the best in bed. In the end, the hassle of trying to have a relationship with them isn't worth the time in the sack.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Its a shame that the ones that are bat**** crazy in the head, are the best in bed. In the end, the hassle of trying to have a relationship with them isn't worth the time in the sack.

AMEN to that!! Haha!!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: JC1
You learned from the experience and it made you a better person. Did you keep in touch with those friends that did this to you?

I actually do. I forgave them a few months later on the condition they never do it again. They agreed and have since limited their matchmaking to attempts to fix me up on blind dates and such. No doing it 1st then telling me after. I am going over to one of their houses, briefly, for Christmas later today actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back