Accident update

Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
13,194
Location
Maricopa Arizona
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Is this typical for how insurance dealings go in the US? This whole thread blows my mind crzy Up here you just deal with your own insurance company, take it to an approved shop for an estimate and away you go. Fault is as Garak described it. Your insurance company goes after the other party's insurance company for their money if the other party is at fault, but you are not a part of that process.
Normally^^^^this^^^^ is what you do. For some unknown reason aquariuscsm believes he has a state license to deal with this directly. Normally my personal stance is I pay for insurance to deal with this. If they can't I find another company.
Before you add an addendum to a thread please thoroughly read the entire thread and gather adequate data.
What is the problem? You should never have contacted GEICO directly. Any and all comunication should have been directed to your insurance. Then if your not satisfied with thier efforts you have recourse. You have exercised a very concerted effort to deal your brand of vigilante justice before the process has been implemented. To get your deductible back for an accident if your not at fault really is not this difficult. If you feel you have been shafted all it takes is a letter from you to the insurance commission and another process will begin. Going around half-cocked threating court this criminal that makes you look like Yosemite Sam when he gets kicked in the knee.
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2015
Messages
6,928
Location
New England
You are going through the normal process of an insurance negotiation. Its a business transaction and negotiation. Unfortunately you are a bit too emotional around conflict handling with this matter. Calling your agent is best move as their company are experts who do this everyday. Good luck
 
Last edited:

aquariuscsm

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,621
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Is this typical for how insurance dealings go in the US? This whole thread blows my mind crzy Up here you just deal with your own insurance company, take it to an approved shop for an estimate and away you go. Fault is as Garak described it. Your insurance company goes after the other party's insurance company for their money if the other party is at fault, but you are not a part of that process.
Normally^^^^this^^^^ is what you do. For some unknown reason aquariuscsm believes he has a state license to deal with this directly. Normally my personal stance is I pay for insurance to deal with this. If they can't I find another company.
Before you add an addendum to a thread please thoroughly read the entire thread and gather adequate data.
What is the problem? You should never have contacted GEICO directly. Any and all comunication should have been directed to your insurance. Then if your not satisfied with thier efforts you have recourse. You have exercised a very concerted effort to deal your brand of vigilante justice before the process has been implemented. To get your deductible back for an accident if your not at fault really is not this difficult. If you feel you have been shafted all it takes is a letter from you to the insurance commission and another process will begin. Going around half-cocked threating court this criminal that makes you look like Yosemite Sam when he gets kicked in the knee.
In all seriousness,the only reason I ever called her insurance is because that's what my insurance told me to do that Saturday of the accident,then I called my local insurance agent that following Monday,and that's when I got the ball rolling per se. Knocking on wood,I've never been in an accident that was my fault. The only other one I've ever been in,was back in the 90s. This old hag ran a stop sign and plowed into my almost brand new 3000GT. It was much different back then. FD,ambulance,and police immediately show up. Now (at least where this happened) the police won't even show up unless you insist,won't write an accident report unless there's an injury,so basically it feels like you're sol. I feel without a live on-scene PD accident report is what led me to this pita I'm dealing with right now,because without a like police report,that gave this stupid little pos the window of opportunity to lie,which fortunately via my eyewitness was caught and she admitted to lying.
 
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
18,706
Location
...
I find that silence has a big effect on negotiating whether it's a new car or resolving a accident case. If you have call screening and you know their number, don't answer. They are using what you are saying to tailor the judgement thus you give them ammunition. After 2-3 weeks of that they will break.
 

JTK

Joined
Aug 14, 2003
Messages
13,814
Location
Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I guess each situation is different. I recently got rear ended and as a result pushed into a car in front of me. I'm insured with Geico..
Be careful with this one Kris. Similar situation happened to my wife years ago and she was sued by car #1, initially for neck/back injury, but it was boiled down to "negligence " as the years rolled on. There was no collision damage in this accident either. She got served the suit 3 days prior to the 3yr statue of limitations time frame expired. The slimiest of slimy.. but the auto insurance carrier she had at the time paid the bill.
 
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
9,571
Location
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by KrisZ
I guess each situation is different. I recently got rear ended and as a result pushed into a car in front of me. I'm insured with Geico..
Be careful with this one Kris. Similar situation happened to my wife years ago and she was sued by car #1, initially for neck/back injury, but it was boiled down to "negligence " as the years rolled on. There was no collision damage in this accident either. She got served the suit 3 days prior to the 3yr statue of limitations time frame expired. The slimiest of slimy.. but the auto insurance carrier she had at the time paid the bill.
Wow and thanks for the heads up. I'm keeping all my records.
 

aquariuscsm

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,621
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Here's the latest: Her insurance co. sent out someone to appraise the damage to my car yesterday. I'm supposed to hear back from them today. I've been calling my insurance agent every day for two weeks,leaving voicemails to touch base,wanting to know the progress of my claim against her,but none of my calls have been returned. What should be my next move? Wait it out a little longer? Go ahead and get my attorney after them? I have never had to deal with bs like this before.
 
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
13,226
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Here's the latest: Her insurance co. sent out someone to appraise the damage to my car yesterday. I'm supposed to hear back from them today. I've been calling my insurance agent every day for two weeks,leaving voicemails to touch base,wanting to know the progress of my claim against her,but none of my calls have been returned. What should be my next move? Wait it out a little longer? Go ahead and get my attorney after them? I have never had to deal with bs like this before.
Again, why are you waiting for a call from the rival insurance company? That's your agent's job, not yours. It's probably why your agent has not contacted you. For he is waiting on a call from the rival insurance company first. Only time the rival insurance should hear from you. is when you give your lawyer a green light to go after them. You should never talk to rival insurances. Let your agent or lawyer do that.
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2015
Messages
6,928
Location
New England
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Here's the latest: Her insurance co. sent out someone to appraise the damage to my car yesterday. I'm supposed to hear back from them today. I've been calling my insurance agent every day for two weeks,leaving voicemails to touch base,wanting to know the progress of my claim against her,but none of my calls have been returned. What should be my next move? Wait it out a little longer? Go ahead and get my attorney after them? I have never had to deal with bs like this before.
Your insurance agent purpose is nothing more then selling proper insurance and possibly conduit to your own insurance companies claims adjuster. The normal procedure I have done has called my own insurance company and get a claim in place. Normally you pay a deductible and they end up collecting from the other party if not at fault. You don't have to deal with much but your own adjuster after that.
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
11,187
Location
Jupiter, Florida
It's always good to remember that insurance companies are really good at what they do (make money) . An accident thrusts the vehicle owner (a novice) into a world of professionals. It may seem straightforward and it may at times, go well. But never forget the insurance company MUST make you whole. That includes OEM parts (not Chinese) rental car and other expenses. A "totaled" vehicle is a true test of an insurance company and their methods. As a replacement vehicle has many hidden costs, including sales tax, registration, title, search costs, rental cars, fuel and on and on. Many insurance companies set a value and fail to move from that number. Knowing the owner is going to move to a newer, more expensive car.
 
Last edited:

aquariuscsm

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,621
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Well,the Gieco adjuster called me today (the one who did the appraisal on my car yesterday) and they totaled it out,appraising it at $7274.62. I get off the phone with him and call my insurance agent yet again,and of course get her voicemail and she doesn't return my call. I've been calling here every day and leaving a message for two weeks now,with no returned calls. Is it really that hard to return a phone call?? What should be my next move,to call Allstate's 800 number to find out what the [censored] is going on??
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
12,046
Location
Phoenix
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Well,the Gieco adjuster called me today (the one who did the appraisal on my car yesterday) and they totaled it out,appraising it at $7274.62. I get off the phone with him and call my insurance agent yet again,and of course get her voicemail and she doesn't return my call. I've been calling here every day and leaving a message for two weeks now,with no returned calls. Is it really that hard to return a phone call?? What should be my next move,to call Allstate's 800 number to find out what the [censored] is going on??
Well if Geico appraised the car they must be accepting responsibility. Do you think $7200 is fair? And you can file a claim and check status directly with Allstate, no need to call your agent. Typically your agent isn't involved in claims.
 

aquariuscsm

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,621
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Well,the Gieco adjuster called me today (the one who did the appraisal on my car yesterday) and they totaled it out,appraising it at $7274.62. I get off the phone with him and call my insurance agent yet again,and of course get her voicemail and she doesn't return my call. I've been calling here every day and leaving a message for two weeks now,with no returned calls. Is it really that hard to return a phone call?? What should be my next move,to call Allstate's 800 number to find out what the [censored] is going on??
Well if Geico appraised the car they must be accepting responsibility. Do you think $7200 is fair? And you can file a claim and check status directly with Allstate, no need to call your agent. Typically your agent isn't involved in claims.
Yeah,looking at Kelley Blue Book,I feel the $7200 is fair. Their highest price is listed at $5329 (in excellent condition,buying from a dealership). The problem is,Gieco is trying to put me at 30% fault,which is unacceptable,because she is at 100% fault,by failure to yield to the right of way,which was me. I had a solid green light,going straight,whereas she had a flashing yellow arrow to turn,and turned in front of me as I entered the intersection.
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
12,046
Location
Phoenix
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Well,the Gieco adjuster called me today (the one who did the appraisal on my car yesterday) and they totaled it out,appraising it at $7274.62. I get off the phone with him and call my insurance agent yet again,and of course get her voicemail and she doesn't return my call. I've been calling here every day and leaving a message for two weeks now,with no returned calls. Is it really that hard to return a phone call?? What should be my next move,to call Allstate's 800 number to find out what the [censored] is going on??
Well if Geico appraised the car they must be accepting responsibility. Do you think $7200 is fair? And you can file a claim and check status directly with Allstate, no need to call your agent. Typically your agent isn't involved in claims.
Yeah,looking at Kelley Blue Book,I feel the $7200 is fair. Their highest price is listed at $5329 (in excellent condition,buying from a dealership). The problem is,Gieco is trying to put me at 30% fault,which is unacceptable,because she is at 100% fault,by failure to yield to the right of way,which was me. I had a solid green light,going straight,whereas she had a flashing yellow arrow to turn,and turned in front of me as I entered the intersection.
So are they trying to withhold 30% of the $7200? Do you have collision and comprehensive?
 

aquariuscsm

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,621
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by dishdude
So are they trying to withhold 30% of the $7200? Do you have collision and comprehensive?
Yep,that's what they're trying to do. I just have liability on the Nissan.
 
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
12,046
Location
Phoenix
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dishdude
So are they trying to withhold 30% of the $7200? Do you have collision and comprehensive?
Yep,that's what they're trying to do. I just have liability on the Nissan.
Ahhh....well you're pretty much stuck then, your insurance isn't going to fight for you. Take the Geico offer and move on. Your only other option is to sue the other driver. If you had full coverage, you could file with Allstate and let them subrogate the claim, but that's not an option if you only carry liability. However, considering your savings from not paying for collision over the years you're probably ahead. Additionally, they'd withhold your deductible that you'd only get back if the other party were found 100% at fault.
 

aquariuscsm

Thread starter
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
25,621
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dishdude
So are they trying to withhold 30% of the $7200? Do you have collision and comprehensive?
Yep,that's what they're trying to do. I just have liability on the Nissan.
Ahhh....well you're pretty much stuck then, your insurance isn't going to fight for you. Take the Geico offer and move on. Your only other option is to sue the other driver. If you had full coverage, you could file with Allstate and let them subrogate the claim, but that's not an option if you only carry liability. However, considering your savings from not paying for collision over the years you're probably ahead. Additionally, they'd withhold your deductible that you'd only get back if the other party were found 100% at fault.
Well,Allstate had already told me they were going to fight for me,and they set up a claim #,etc. If they try to screw me,especially as long as we've been with them (and have three cars insured with them),I'll definitely drop them and get a new insurer,and then take that worthless pos to court. I refuse to take fault in something I'm 100% innocent of.
 
Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
24,969
Location
CA
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by dishdude
So are they trying to withhold 30% of the $7200? Do you have collision and comprehensive?
Yep,that's what they're trying to do. I just have liability on the Nissan.
Ahhh....well you're pretty much stuck then, your insurance isn't going to fight for you. Take the Geico offer and move on. Your only other option is to sue the other driver. If you had full coverage, you could file with Allstate and let them subrogate the claim, but that's not an option if you only carry liability. However, considering your savings from not paying for collision over the years you're probably ahead. Additionally, they'd withhold your deductible that you'd only get back if the other party were found 100% at fault.
Well,Allstate had already told me they were going to fight for me,and they set up a claim #,etc. If they try to screw me,especially as long as we've been with them (and have three cars insured with them),I'll definitely drop them and get a new insurer,and then take that worthless pos to court. I refuse to take fault in something I'm 100% innocent of.
Ahh, this was the missing piece of the puzzle. If you do not have comp/collision coverage on your vehicle, your carrier has very little skin in this game. This will end up being resolved between you and Geico. If your carrier has already accepted 30% liability on your behalf, then for all practical purposes, you are out of luck.
 
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
11,187
Location
Jupiter, Florida
Go to purchase an exact replacement. Get all the taxes, fees, title costs, dealer fees, and so on clearly on paper. Add in rental car, search costs, any modifications you made to the vehicle and so on. Submit that as your minimum number. Insurance companies must make you whole. Not just the car, you!
Originally Posted by The Critic
If your carrier has already accepted 30% liability on your behalf, then for all practical purposes, you are out of luck.
That is MOST CERTAINLY NOT SO. Insurance companies cannot collude to screw their respective customers. I'll say it again, you are entitled to be made whole.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Feb 15, 2003
Messages
11,187
Location
Jupiter, Florida
And again, Insurance companies are experts at what they do. Please don't be a victim a second time. Stand up for yourself and get what you deserve. Consider hiring a lawyer to write a letter if you can't resolve it properly.
 
Top