Help with insurance estimate / body shop

Hello Gents!

Looking for some input. Last night I was rear ended (light accident) at a stop sign, called the police, they came out and gave me a police report that clearly states the other driver is at fault. He has State Farm insurance, I called his today to start a claim, about an hour later the girl that took my claim info called back and said yes we are taking responsibility of the damages. I told her okay I would like to go get a estimate and you can cut me a check and we are all good, she goes on and says no I must go to one of their shops that they work with and they will have to repair it, this sounds illegal to me correct? I own the vehicle and feel I should be able to get paid for the damages and choose where ever I want to go for repairs or am I right?

How do I get her to get me choose a shop for a estimate and get a check?

I seen that as well after I talked to her.

I also don’t really want to go one of their shops for estimate because they often have contracts where they use cheaper parts, material and labor rates.

I seem that as well after I talked to her.

I also don’t really want to go one of their shops for estimate because they often have contracts where they use cheaper parts, material and labor rates.
I understand your predicament but you can't change the terms of their policy. You're not on the policy. The other driver is. State Farm's obligation is to make you whole again. A lot of auto body shops are State Farm authorized. Call up your favorite shop and see if they are authorized by State Farm. You'll also be covered for any hidden damage.

What kind of vehcile? I saw a high dollar rarer edition Dodge Charger get tapped at a stop light with a minor scuff. When I popped out of the store, the cop was there talking to the guy and the driver that hit him. I spoke up and said if he makes a police report on your car with your VIN included, it will forever show on a Carfax and hurt the resale value.

My wifes car was hit by an E Insurance driver and they told me on the phone that they took full responsibly and I could take it to any body shop but they encouraged me to take it to one of their preferred shops.
I knew a guy that owned a large body shop and did nothing but insurance work, he told me that he inspected every car that they did before the customer picked it up because he wanted no complaints to the insurance company.
He also said that insurance companies paid so well that he did everything he could to stay in good with them.
My wifes car was done by Gerber that is a national chain and they were great.

I seen that as well after I talked to her.

Ask to have an adjuster come to your workplace or home to inspect and write an estimate. Insist on it. What do they do with undriveable vehicles or people who cannot drive to a body shop? They send an adjuster out. You can also bring it to your favorite shop as well and they will be forced to send an adjuster there, just coordinate this in the beginning. Maybe your dealer has a body shop in house, usually the best bet since they have access to parts quicker and can reset computers on site.

If you really want to get State Farm in trouble, record the rep saying you can only fix it at a State Farm shop, that is steering and illegal.
He also said that insurance companies paid so well that he did everything he could to stay in good with them.
Insurance companies are known for paying below average for labor and try to use the cheapest parts. I think State Farm has a better reputation than most companies though but at the end of the day they want to save money. Your friend is probably just happy to get the volume from the shop which can add up nicely.

Ask to have an adjuster come to your workplace or home to inspect and write an estimate. Insist on it. What do they do with undriveable vehicles or people who cannot drive to a body shop? They send an adjuster out. You can also bring it to your favorite shop as well and they will be forced to send an adjuster there, just coordinate this in the beginning. Maybe your dealer has a body shop in house, usually the best bet since they have access to parts quicker and can reset computers on site.

If you really want to get State Farm in trouble, record the rep saying you can only fix it at a State Farm shop, that is steering and illegal.

Insurance companies are known for paying below average for labor and try to use the cheapest parts. I think State Farm has a better reputation than most companies though but at the end of the day they want to save money. Your friend is probably just happy to get the volume from the shop which can add up nicely.
I did flooring repairs for USAA insurance for 5 years.
They paid above normal rates to treat their members like royalty and thats exactly what they told me.
I did everything I could to make sure their members were happy because my company made so much money doing the work.

I understand your predicament but you can't change the terms of their policy. You're not on the policy. The other driver is. State Farm's obligation is to make you whole again. A lot of auto body shops are State Farm authorized. Call up your favorite shop and see if they are authorized by State Farm. You'll also be covered for any hidden damage.
Well their policy has to follow the state law and I believe it is illegal to force someone to use their shops only but I want to be sure before I stand up to them. I would think their obligation is to pay me a fair rate for the damage and where I get it fixed is my business.

I did flooring repairs for USAA insurance for 5 years.
They paid above normal rates to treat their members like royalty and thats exactly what they told me.
I did everything I could to make sure their members were happy because my company made so much money doing the work.
That is a good policy but USAA is an outlier in the world of insurance companies that pay body shops what they want.

Well their policy has to follow the state law and I believe it is illegal to force someone to use their shops only but I want to be sure before I stand up to them. I would think their obligation is to pay me a fair rate for the damage and where I get it fixed is my business.
Do you want to get it fixed or pocket the check? Anything is possible but I'd be surprised if State Farm is not in compliance with state law.

I'm not aware of any state law that allows an insurance company to dictate where or even IF you fix your vehicle. I'm no expert though, but the idea that they can force the location would be news to me. That said, if you expect to take your car to a boutique shop, have them write up a nice expensive estimate, and then have State Farm pay out that amount with a smile on their face--- that's a fantasy.

I've been in a couple of these accidents (in a couple different states) and this is how it went for me:

Step A--- At-fault insurance company wants you to take vehicle to their "preferred" shop for an estimate OR they'll send their own adjuster. Let them. They sent an adjuster to me each time.

Step B--- At-fault insurance company wants to write a check on the spot for their low ball estimate or make repairs at their preferred shop using said low-ball estimate. If you have no lien on your title, they should be able to give you the funds directly with a check in your name. In my case, they wanted to "repair" my crushed front bumper cover (had a teenager throw his car in reverse at a stop sign and back into me at 10mph), said they could refinish/repair and make it new again for $700. I disagreed and refused the check.

Step C--- if you disagree with the low-ball offer coming directly from the insurance company, get two other FAIR estimates. No boutique shops, or friends that will inflate prices, that will be an automatic no-go. But DO pick a couple outfits you trust. I personally took my car to a GM dealer who had their own body shop, and then to an independent collision center-- It's okay to pick a couple places on the top tier of pricing. Both recommended a new bumper cover, repaint on small area of the fender that received damage, I think both estimates were in the $1300-1500 range.

Step D--- after you've refused the initial check/repair offer, send both (or more) estimates to the insurance agent and tell them you'd like X place to repair your vehicle. Almost guaranteed they won't go for the most expensive one, but they'll probably accept the cheaper option you chose, just to close the case and get it over with. And if you've chosen shops wisely (on the high but not exaggerated side of the price spectrum), you'll be made whole and maybe a bit more.

On my Pontiac (same ordeal of mine that comes to mind) they accepted $1300, which was either the low or middle bid I got, but far better than the $700 offer they first came up with. Try to work with them and most of the time they'll work with you as long as you're being semi-fair. If they're really trying to hose you and you can prove it, stand your ground and threaten legal action if you're prepared to go that route.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hello Gents!

Looking for some input. Last night I was rear ended (light accident) at a stop sign, called the police, they came out and gave me a police report that clearly states the other driver is at fault. He has State Farm insurance, I called his today to start a claim, about an hour later the girl that took my claim info called back and said yes we are taking responsibility of the damages. I told her okay I would like to go get a estimate and you can cut me a check and we are all good, she goes on and says no I must go to one of their shops that they work with and they will have to repair it, this sounds illegal to me correct? I own the vehicle and feel I should be able to get paid for the damages and choose where ever I want to go for repairs or am I right?

How do I get her to get me choose a shop for a estimate and get a check?
I would go to the body shop of your choice and let them deal with your ins company. Then your company deals with other drivers ins company. That’s the way it’s done in Jersey.

I would go to the body shop of your choice and let them deal with your ins company. Then your company deals with other drivers ins company. That’s the way it’s done in Jersey.
I agree with you. Let the adjuster work with your body shop. If you want to just get a check and cash it out with out repairing, which is fine, you might have to deal with a low ball unless you are prepared with other estimates or point out any and all damage so the adjuster doesn't miss anything.

This is how I think body repairs are done in Jersey:

Last edited:
Do you want to get it fixed or pocket the check? Anything is possible but I'd be surprised if State Farm is not in compliance with state law.

All I want from them is a check and I'll have a shop I know fix it for me and then it will be done right. In about a month or so I was planning to have my front bumper / hood resprayed due to bad rock chips and would get it done altogether but that shouldn't matter to State Farm at all.

All I want from them is a check and I'll have a shop I know fix it for me and then it will be done right. In about a month or so I was planning to have my front bumper / hood resprayed due to bad rock chips and would get it done altogether but that shouldn't matter to State Farm at all.

Tell them that's what you want and to make you an appointment for an adjuster to appraise the damage. If you're going to have it fixed, just take it to the shop of your choice and let them deal with it.

I agree with you. Let the adjuster work with your body shop. If you want to just get a check and cash it out with out repairing, which is fine, you might have to deal with a low ball unless you are prepared with other checks or point out any and all damage so the adjuster doesn't miss anything.

This is how I think body repairs are done in Jersey:

My daughter hit a dear with our wrangler, drove it to local body shop and the shop handled everything. Even rejected “substandard” parts. All through ins company.

Starting your own claim and involving your own insurance company is a recipe for increased premiums at renewal time. A claim can ding you whether the accident was your fault or not. How bad they bend you over (or if they do at all) depends on the insurance company.

You don’t have to start a claim whether you live in Jersey or elsewhere. People just do it because it’s easy, not necessarily because it’s smart…

Starting your own claim and involving your own insurance company is a recipe for increased premiums at renewal time. A claim can ding you whether the accident was your fault or not. How bad they bend you over (or if they do at all) depends on the insurance company.

You don’t have to start a claim whether you live in Jersey or elsewhere. People just do it because it’s easy, not necessarily because it’s smart…
No. When they ultimately subrogate the claim it will not count against you.

Back