About to run Euro 0w40 on Buick 455

whats the spring peessures?
C&P from TA Performance website.
Product ID: TA_1435
400-430-455 Stage 1 Valve Springs .500 Lift
Factory Stage 1 replacement spring for mild to moderate cam combinations on any Big Block Buick

O.D. 1.370
I.D. 0.850
90 lbs @ 1.900
315 lbs @ 1.400
Coil Bind 1.175

Ok I’m about to do the yearly oil change on my Buick. It has a 455 with a mild hydraulic flat tappet cam. I know from previous posts and reading threads that it should be fine with running just the M1 Euro 0w40. My question is, can I mix some maybe M1 Delvac1 5w40 or V-Twin 20w50 to give it a little zinc boost? Would make me feel better knowing it would be View attachment 212903View attachment 212904above the normal 1k zinc number. What do y’all think of this Walmart concoction?
In recent years there have been entirely too many wiped cam lobes and ruined lifter failures in traditional American flat tappet engines, even though a variety of well respected brand name parts were typically used. These failures involved people using various high zinc oils, various high zinc Break-In oils, various Diesel oils, and various oils with aftermarket zinc additives added to the oil. They believed that any high zinc oil concoction is all they needed for wear protection during flat tappet engine break-in and after break-in. But, all of those failures have proven over and over again, that their belief in high zinc was nothing more than a MYTH, just as my test data has shown.

A high level of zinc/phos is simply no guarantee of providing sufficient wear protection. And to make matters even worse, excessively high levels of zinc/phos can actually “cause” DAMAGE your engine, rather than “prevent” it. Motor Oil Industry testing has found that motor oils with more than 1,400 ppm ZDDP, INCREASED long-term wear. And it was also found that motor oils with more than 2,000 ppm ZDDP started attacking the grain boundaries in the iron, resulting in camshaft spalling (pitting and flaking). The ZDDP value is simply the average of the zinc and the phosphorus values, then rounded down to the nearest 100 ppm (parts per million). from 540Rat

Back