I’ve been using Mobil-1 0W40 in my 2004 BMW 330i. Quaker State 5W40? Maybe also in my old schools??

7l4z53.jpg

I’ve been running M1 0w40 since day one in the BMW. I just saw this QS Euro 5w40 at Walmart for $22.97! I know QS makes quality oils as well. Would I be downgrading going to the “5w”? I’m actually thinking of using this in the ‘64 Falcon and ‘68 Buick as well since they have mild hydraulic flat tappet cams.
I dislike the colour green and have a wholly baseless aversion to Quaker State, so I'd just continue to use M1 0W-40 in my case, lol :D Not because it's objectively better (though I am inclined to feel it is better) but because I just generally prefer Mobil products over Shell ones, particularly Quaker State (due to the aforementioned aversion).

This is of course completely devoid of any form of justifiable rationale, and I recognize it as such, but when people ask opinions about oils with the same approvals, we are already splitting hairs, often irrationally, so... 🤷‍♂️

I dislike the colour green and have a wholly baseless aversion to Quaker State, so I'd just continue to use M1 0W-40 in my case, lol :D Not because it's objectively better (though I am inclined to feel it is better) but because I just generally prefer Mobil products over Shell ones, particularly Quaker State (due to the aforementioned aversion).

This is of course completely devoid of any form of justifiable rationale, and I recognize it as such, but when people ask opinions about oils with the same approvals, we are already splitting hairs, often irrationally, so... 🤷‍♂️
Ummmm....green oil.....

Molygen UV.jpg

Maybe your oil never gets tested
driving around the block and I assume short OCIs?

If it burns any after at least 3K miles, Castrol Euro A3/B4 0W-40 is another option. I have both jugs in the garage and just looked and they both meet exact same specs (A40, VW 502 00 / 505 00, MB 229.3/229.5, A3/B4, etc.)
I guess it depends on the engine but M1 FS 0W-40 burns in my car whereas Castrol Euro 0W-40 didn't. Just used my last jug of M1 0W-40 for the summer oil change ... will see how it does again. I may try QS Euro 5W-40 next. I've read good stuff about it and the price is right.

M1 EP 10W-30 on the other hand is my most favorite M1 and a very solid oil and never burned in any car I used but it's not "Euro" decorated at least not in writing ... lol

Maybe your oil never gets tested
driving around the block and I assume short OCIs?

If it burns any after at least 3K miles, Castrol Euro A3/B4 0W-40 is another option. I have both jugs in the garage and just looked and they both meet exact same specs (A40, VW 502 00 / 505 00, MB 229.3/229.5, A3/B4, etc.)
I guess it depends on the engine but M1 FS 0W-40 burns in my car whereas Castrol Euro 0W-40 didn't. Just used my last jug of M1 0W-40 for the summer oil change ... will see how it does again. I may try QS Euro 5W-40 next. I've read good stuff about it and the price is right.

M1 EP 10W-30 on the other hand is my most favorite M1 and a very solid oil and never burned in any car I used but it's not "Euro" decorated at least not in writing ... lol
I have too many cars that don’t get driven much. My whole family thinks I’m crazy with all these cars. I honestly can’t disagree 🤦🏻‍♂️ I do try to keep up on the yearly OCI’s on them.

I’ve used the M-1 0w-40 in many classic cars from the 1960’s era Shelby Mustang GT-350’s (289 ci with mechanical flat tappet lifters) to Ford Galaxie 500’s with 390 and 428 ci engines . Never any issues or measurable wear. Oil pressure remains at the high end of normal.

Currently using it in my 2002 Jaguar XKR (4.0 L supercharged) and Honda lawnmower as well.

Z

At $22.97 for the 5 quart jug (at Walmart) the QS Euro 5w40 is about the best deal out there for an oil that meets the specs it does. The only better deal is the 5w40 Total Quartz on 'CLEARANCE' at AA if you can find it.

At $22.97 for the 5 quart jug (at Walmart) the QS Euro 5w40 is about the best deal out there for an oil that meets the specs it does. The only better deal is the 5w40 Total Quartz on 'CLEARANCE' at AA if you can find it.

I agree, last I checked QS, says it meets or exceeds the following :
  • BMW LL-01
  • MB 229.3 229.5
  • Porsche A40
  • VW 502.00 505.00
  • Fiat ...
  • Chrysler ...
  • A3/B4

I may have the Noack somewhere but can't recall. Also not sure about the language. "Meets or exceeds" may not be same as having the approvals ... but at this price is kind of a don't care. lol

I may try the QS for the next summer.

M1 FS 0W-40 hasn't burned a drop in my car this time and I'm near 4000 miles ... Last time it burned some (my previous post) so I'm a little confused but don't have enough data just couple of oil changes. Maybe the engine got used to the 0 (I rarely use 0W) or further sludge cleanup is increasing the oil volume. :ROFLMAO:

Back