2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 57K 5K OCI Mobil 1 0W40 - not impressed

Report looks fine to me 🤷‍♂️

A small uptick in Fe could simply be the result of a bit of chelation with some of the Group V base stocks potentially in use with this product. These are parts per million, these minute variances cannot be used to gauge relative performance to other lubricants, the tool simply lacks the resolution.

Generally, as @Rand noted, the idea is to do several OCI's to gauge what's "normal" for that particular lubricant in that piece of equipment. Trying to compare lubricants to each other based on that data is chasing your tail because each will have its own "signature" that does not directly translate into actual wear characteristics, as there are numerous other mechanisms in play, particularly when you go from one product to another with potentially wildly different additive packages.

you DONT need 0 or even 5W in your area a wider spreads deteriorate faster as they use thinner base oils in the blend + even light real synthetics burn off faster. i used 10-30 real synthetic year around in my 2001 jetta 1.8T tuned to 275 hp + TQ, for 200 thou no DI of course. my 50 thou 2001 1.8T audi TT 225Q tuned to 300 hp + tq gets redline 15-50 as its a bit loose, booth boost over 25 lb. since switching to the 15-50 redline i see more vacuum on the gauge + it consumes less. of course your bigger oil pan helps oil life as i only have just over 4 qts, hence the use of costly redline real synthetics.

Like @OVERKILL says, the UOA is far from bad. I personally though something was off, due to the add pack being off and the viscosity loss.
But Mobil just changed the pack and the Golf ( R Wagen :) ) did what it does to oil.
VW does spec both 5w30 and 5w40 for your Golf over here, so you're in spec.
Cant wait for the next UOA/update.

I have not read the whole thread, but people seem to think this wasn't a good run. I don't understand what looks bad. It looks essentially the same as all the others? And with a single sample size, as well?

How did the engine perform with this oil? NVH and fuel mileage? I wouldn't get all wrapped up in the minutiae of the used oil analysis unless you feel you need a min viscosity to keep the thing alive. Even so, you don't have HTHS values.

I ran Motul VW 508 in my VW turbo and had to add M1 0W40FS to boost the viscosity to reduce NVH and bring back high rpm torque.
But that was on a 1.4 with 18psig boost only availble through 4700 rpm due to the small turbo.
Apples and Oranges here. - Ken

A few things on this post and some of the responses. This post wasn't intended to down-talk M1 0W40 which I know is a crowd fave here on BITOG. I used that oil almost exclusively in my '00 Jetta 2.0 for 220K/14 years with mostly 10K OCIs. I wanted to try it here b/c I had been using Liquimoly products and many noted when I posted my UOAs that I was seeing a lot of shearing and that M1 0W40 would be better. I have all the data in my OP including % drop in viscosity etc. for each change Well, this M1 didn't do so great w/r to that and the previous oils I have run (LM Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 and Molygen 5W40). The uptick in iron is surprising when you look at the trends/all the data and based on the last turbo swap the iron dropped after the first change, here I am still increasing...who knows but the data have been super-consistent so this doesn't look anomalous. I understand single data points and really should have run one more OCI on it but I've seen plenty of other UOAs for M1 0W40 from the same platform/engine/tuned/etc. and you know what, they all look like that so no reason to run it again to prove a point - even then, the responses would have been the same from many folks...blah blah blah you can't say this or that with that data. I'll see what the QSUD and M1 5W40 look like over the next few changes. Overall, the Molygen saw a bit more viscosity drop (3 data points) vs. the Leichtlauf High Tech (4 data points but one [in red] looks like it may be bad data (only a 3% drop). My point is mainly just for interest and to see what the various oils look like in my engine. In the end, they are all more than protecting my little 1.8 power maker with the beating I toss at it!

The uptick in iron probably isn't even within the repeatability limits of the test. Google "site:bobistheoilguy.com blackstone rerun".

A few things on this post and some of the responses. This post wasn't intended to down-talk M1 0W40 which I know is a crowd fave here on BITOG. I used that oil almost exclusively in my '00 Jetta 2.0 for 220K/14 years with mostly 10K OCIs. I wanted to try it here b/c I had been using Liquimoly products and many noted when I posted my UOAs that I was seeing a lot of shearing and that M1 0W40 would be better. I have all the data in my OP including % drop in viscosity etc. for each change Well, this M1 didn't do so great w/r to that and the previous oils I have run (LM Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 and Molygen 5W40). The uptick in iron is surprising when you look at the trends/all the data and based on the last turbo swap the iron dropped after the first change, here I am still increasing...who knows but the data have been super-consistent so this doesn't look anomalous. I understand single data points and really should have run one more OCI on it but I've seen plenty of other UOAs for M1 0W40 from the same platform/engine/tuned/etc. and you know what, they all look like that so no reason to run it again to prove a point - even then, the responses would have been the same from many folks...blah blah blah you can't say this or that with that data. I'll see what the QSUD and M1 5W40 look like over the next few changes. Overall, the Molygen saw a bit more viscosity drop (3 data points) vs. the Leichtlauf High Tech (4 data points but one [in red] looks like it may be bad data (only a 3% drop). My point is mainly just for interest and to see what the various oils look like in my engine. In the end, they are all more than protecting my little 1.8 power maker with the beating I toss at it!
Oil cooler will do wonders for your engine. Forget that fluid/fluid heat exchanger they come with.

Back