2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 57K 5K OCI Mobil 1 0W40 - not impressed

Mobil is obviously great oil but no excuses accepted, this is a poor showing for M1 0w40 plain and simple. I'd bet either Castrol 0w40 or 5w40 would have at least a higher retained viscosity than this.

TBN is fantastic but it's due to the dump truck load of calcium Mobil uses in this.

It will be interesting to see how the bargain priced QS 5w40 holds up compared to this.
I think TBN starts at 12.9.

Not sure why such a drop. M1 0W40 should hold up much better than that. Flash point dropped too.
I have never seen such bad result for M1 0W40. Did you do any track days, and how many if you did?
It was a fairly "normal" run for me this round but did include repeated visits to the local "1/8 mile street racing" event at a local track so probably 2 dozen 1/8 of mile runs. I drive it hard normally. I was surprised too and I know we chatted here about using it, look, it's fine oil and the drop is about what I've seen from some other UOAs for these little tuned-out VW 4 bangers. I just was hoping to see less drop. The iron increase is a bit surprising vs. the trend I have as well but probalby un-related. We will see how the QSUD and M1 5W40 look next!

How fast are ya running the 1/8 mile ???

If I'm not mistaken your car is white... Then your nickname could be "white lightning" or "sleeper ghost"...

If I'm not mistaken your car is white... Then your nickname could be "white lightning" or "sleeper ghost"...

Screenshot_20210416-225301_dragy.jpg

It was a fairly "normal" run for me this round but did include repeated visits to the local "1/8 mile street racing" event at a local track so probably 2 dozen 1/8 of mile runs. I drive it hard normally. I was surprised too and I know we chatted here about using it, look, it's fine oil and the drop is about what I've seen from some other UOAs for these little tuned-out VW 4 bangers. I just was hoping to see less drop. The iron increase is a bit surprising vs. the trend I have as well but probalby un-related. We will see how the QSUD and M1 5W40 look next!
I drive my cars hard too. That should not be reason. Last UOA on M1 I did, previous version though, in my VW CC KV100 went from 13.5 to 13.3 in 5k. M1 5W30 EP I have in Toyota literally didn’t shear at all in 10k, and I push that minivan to its limits all the time, plus a lot of idling time. So, not sure seriously why such poor performance.

I drive my cars hard too. That should not be reason. Last UOA on M1 I did, previous version though, in my VW CC KV100 went from 13.5 to 13.3 in 5k. M1 5W30 EP I have in Toyota literally didn’t shear at all in 10k, and I push that minivan to its limits all the time, plus a lot of idling time. So, not sure seriously why such poor performance.
I don't either, no idea. I just think these little VW 4s chew oil I guess?

I don't either, no idea. I just think these little VW 4s chew oil I guess?
Wonder if it's just a turbo direct injection thing but hard to say. Seems like my turbo DI M4 / M3 chews through oil too per the viscosity drops in only 2k mile UOA but my turbo DI 4 in the X1 doesn't seem to shred oil nearly as much.

Basically. Boost is ~22 peak which isn't crazy at all and I do run E20-ish most of the time.
What do they run stock T? 22psi is up there on E20 especially if its a bigger turbo. Don't usually go much higher than that unless its a built motor build but I don't know the platform well.

What do they run stock T? 22psi is up there on E20 especially if its a bigger turbo. Don't usually go much higher than that unless its a built motor build but I don't know the platform well.
I can't even remember..hahahahaha....tuned it shortly after purchase. I *think* about 12 peak new. Stage 1 took that to ~17 then around 22 for the larger turbos from either the GTI or R. Some tuners will get into the mid-20s with a bit more dialed-back timing advance. These engines routinely hold boost up to the high 20s without being "built" - the issue with more boost is the stock fuel system won't handle it.

Comparison to fresh M1 0W-40 FS tested 10/2017 on oil club ru.
KV 40°C - 73.2
KV 100°C - 13.23 UOA 10.00 24% drop
VI - 185
TBN - 12.96 UOA 6.9 47% drop
SA - 1.38%
MO - 80 UOA - 70
P - 937 UOA - 845
Zn - 1146 UOA - 965
B - 318 UOA - 197
Mg - 16 UOA - 19
Ca - 3583 UOA - 2813
Flash °F - 428 UOA - 405

KV 40°C - 73.2
VI - 185
SA - 1.38%
MO - 80 UOA - 70
P - 937 UOA - 845
Zn - 1146 UOA - 965
B - 318 UOA - 197
Mg - 16 UOA - 19
Ca - 3583 UOA - 2813
Flash °F - 428 UOA - 405

Yep seen this exact VOA. Yet Boron, Calcium and Zinc seem well off. Wonder why that is.
While we see boron go down in the course of an OCI, Calcium and Zinc dont (not by that much on a reasonable OCI)...
Checked the previous LiquiMoly run and well... it is similar and the Ceratec or the MOS2 additive(forget which) maybe helped slightly.
Would not blame the Mobil that much, you are driving a tuned car fast / drag racing.
Either way, I think the big turbo turned your engine into an oil shredder( viscosity killer).
Cutting some miles off the OCI would be my bet for lower wear numbers.

Last edited:
Yep seen this exact VOA. Yet Boron, Calcium and Zinc seem well off. Wonder why that is.
While we see boron go down in the course of an OCI, Calcium and Zinc dont (not by that much on a reasonable OCI)...
Checked the previous LiquiMoly run and well... it is similar and the Ceratec or the MOS2 additive(forget which) maybe helped slightly.
Would not blame the Mobil that much, you are driving a tuned car fast / drag racing.
Either way, I think the big turbo turned your engine into an oil shredder( viscosity killer).
The formulation could be updated, hence lower ZInc.

The thing is, this is just the OE turbo off the Golf R, so while pushing more than stock even on a stock R, in terms of UOAs etc. I've seen on that platform, the results are similar. What I'm getting at is even stock, these MQB 4s seem to be harder on oil than other engines.

KV 40°C - 73.2
VI - 185
SA - 1.38%
MO - 80 UOA - 70
P - 937 UOA - 845
Zn - 1146 UOA - 965
B - 318 UOA - 197
Mg - 16 UOA - 19
Ca - 3583 UOA - 2813
Flash °F - 428 UOA - 405

The actual data is listed on the Mobil website, as you can see, KV100 has changed over the course of 4 years, as has flashpoint (439F)
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 1.25.07 PM.jpg

Back