About Mobil full synthetic and Engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can hear the different engine noises sometimes with different oils.. I know when i used Pennzoil platinum in my older Toyota it sounded very bad it also sounded just as bad with Mobil 1 but with cheap Dino or QSUD it sounded ok all in the 5w30 weights so who knows..Could it be that the better oils that clean better Make engines louder? Sounds ridiculous but i am not so sure.

I am using Mobil 1 now and it seems to be fine.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Go buy some Aeroshell 120W for radial aircraft engines. That should quiet it down.

crackmeup2.gif

Real quiet. It'll be like it's not running at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Oil is oil.

So says the guy who runs Mobil 1 in three out of his five vehicles, and goes out of his way to track down TGMO for the other two.

I run M1 but would change if I thought I needed too. I've had M1 in 02 Explorer, 06 Mountaineer, 10 Armada, 04, F150, 07 Maxima, 15 F150. Haven't had a noise issue with any engine. Only engine I've had any bad oil reports is Maxima. It has had some chrome #s high. Unlikely the oil..they are known for rings and burning some oil. Mine is buring 1qt in about 4.5 to 5k miles. So, by OUR standards no good but not really bad yet.

Been there, done that. Last Beemer - tried M1 twice and each time I changed to another oil, it was quieter and smoother around town. Could not tell difference on the highway. Eventually quit trying. Moved on to other oils and never looked back
smile.gif

And I own stock in XOM, so it was in my interest to support the company ...

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I've never experienced the phenomenon of one oil being louder than another.

Me neither, if there's no metal to metal contact to begin with, how can there be change in noise.

I've made the change fro 10W60 to 0W40, and engine sounds exactly the same, 8 fuel injectors and the cam chain are still loud regardless what oil.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I call [censored]. You lost 1 mpg due to oil??????????

He could, I suppose, but he won't be able to measure it because because of the size of the error bars. Blaming the oil specifically and eliminating all the other variables is the other hard part.

Last edited:
Changed the "mystery" oil in my '93 BMW in 2014 with M1 0w-40. Noise was noticeably worse from the minute I started. The persistent lifter tick was more noticeable, as was VANOS rattle.

Switching to Rotella T6 5w-40 did not cure the problem, but hushed things noticeably. After a while, the car had a change to Penrite HPR10 (10w50, BMW LL-01, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 etc), which made things worse again. Its since had a successive change with the Penrite, and the noises do persist. Next OC, will drop to conventional, Shell Helix or GTX 15w-40, and I'll see what happens.

The suspicion I have seen thrown about is that foaming may dampen loud noise to an extent. Castrol is rumoured to foam quite badly, and I've noticed some very light foaming when draining Magnatec 10w30 from a Toyota with a 1GR-FE engine. Apples - Oranges, but when draining the aforementioned M1 after about 12,000km, no foam.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Mobil 1 and engine noise seem to go hand in hand lol, evey few weeks a thread pops up with somebody saying their engine makes a lot of noise on M1.

My experiences were different, no objectionable or unusual engine noise.

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
This is a joke...you realize that mobil 1 is the industry leader in synthetics....if there was a problem the whole world would know.

I love these claims of engines running smoother, no noise, more noise, more power etc. with changes in oil brand. I wrenched on cars professionally for over 15 years and promise you there is no noticeable difference with the exception of starting in sub zero weather with 15 and 20w oils.

Just because you have never experienced any of the claims above doesn't mean it is a joke or it doesn't happen !!

I can vouch for the OP there is scope for varying noise levels and engine smoothness with different oils/ brands as I have experienced it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: CT8
.5 to 1 mpg loss? O.K.

Being able to attribute an observed change such as that to one isolated variable is utterly impossible outside of a laboratory. It cannot be done in real-world driving.

Considering that the energy density of gasoline varies by up to 4% even at the same gas station makes such claims invalid. People on here often conflate measurement with correlation. Just because you may be able to measure something doesn't mean you know what caused it.

It is possible to measure mpg down to 0.2, I have done so for many weeks when I choose to measure the mpg.

If all things being equal and the only change was the switching of the oil brands for a season and the mpg went back to normal after the switch back to the usual oil brand then the OPs claims are valid, and you don't need a LAB to confirm the result.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B320i
The suspicion I have seen thrown about is that foaming may dampen loud noise to an extent.

This observation is interesting ..
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: B320i
Changed the "mystery" oil in my '93 BMW in 2014 with M1 0w-40. Noise was noticeably worse from the minute I started. The persistent lifter tick was more noticeable, as was VANOS rattle.

Switching to Rotella T6 5w-40 did not cure the problem, but hushed things noticeably. After a while, the car had a change to Penrite HPR10 (10w50, BMW LL-01, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 etc), which made things worse again. Its since had a successive change with the Penrite, and the noises do persist. Next OC, will drop to conventional, Shell Helix or GTX 15w-40, and I'll see what happens.

The suspicion I have seen thrown about is that foaming may dampen loud noise to an extent. Castrol is rumoured to foam quite badly, and I've noticed some very light foaming when draining Magnatec 10w30 from a Toyota with a 1GR-FE engine. Apples - Oranges, but when draining the aforementioned M1 after about 12,000km, no foam.

Use a conventional oil to deaden sound. SOPUS works best for me. Doesn't matter if it's Formula Shell, Pennzoil or Quaker State. 10W-30 is fine. No need for 15W-40 diesel oil. Switching from synthetic to conventional means changing more often. But you can still run those mid-grade filters like Fram Tough Guard and Wix for two 5K OCIs (10K).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back