Ford edge 2.0 noise after oil change??

Apparently holding the gas pedal to the floor shuts off the fuel. So, I’ll do that next oil change and spin the engine 10 seconds at a time (so as to not overheat the starter) until the oil pressure builds up (hopefully).

I assume the starter can handle it since it’s got the “stop start” technology. However, I did install the stop-start over ride module to shut that stupid thing off permanently.

If this only happens during an oil change, all you have to do is pull the spark plugs and spin the engine over with the fuel pump relay removed until the oil light goes out. Pulling the spark plugs is just to make it easier on the starter.
Why even bother doing that? Nearly every car these days has a “flood mode” where if you hold the pedal to the floor prior to/during cranking, it shuts off the fuel. Accomplishes same thing.

My ‘05 Outback tank purge valve went bad and if I filled the tank too full it would flood the engine through the vent line. Simply held the pedal to the floor, cranked it till it started, and was on my way.

The filter is not inverted. It screws in from the bottom and I always refill it prior to removing the old one.
I have been cautioning folks about prefilling oil filters. Its creates an impediment to the pump, a big slug of oil in between the pump and the main gallery, with oil wetting the filter paper makes it harder to evacuate air from the system. You can 1/3 prefill if you wish but I would NOT do anymore than that. What you are doing is clearly not working. But you may have other issues, possibly debris in the drill near the pressure sender. OIl pressure light should be out in 3 seconds MAX. I would never run Mobil AFE 0W30, but that is another discussion.

Are you sure this is not a combi level AND pressure light?

That's not normal. I'm on my 3rd 2.0 EB, and have never had an issue. I use MC filter (or better), and change every 5k miles or less.

I would use OEM oil filter just in case.
Nevermind, one of your filters was Motorcraft. Isn't that OEM?

I change oil in 4 different cars and don't notice any "rattling" so not sure if that's a normal thing even for few seconds. A little sound difference for a couple of seconds maybe.

Last edited:
I have been cautioning folks about prefilling oil filters. Its creates an impediment to the pump, a big slug of oil in between the pump and the main gallery, with oil wetting the filter paper makes it harder to evacuate air from the system. You can 1/3 prefill if you wish but I would NOT do anymore than that. What you are doing is clearly not working. But you may have other issues, possibly debris in the drill near the pressure sender. OIl pressure light should be out in 3 seconds MAX. I would never run Mobil AFE 0W30, but that is another discussion.

Are you sure this is not a combi level AND pressure light?

RE: Evacuating air from the system

Very interesting! I thought I'm doing engine a favor until now.
Sound like PD pump can't move air.

@bbhero
We need to inform @ZeeOSix lol

Thanks for sharing this. I Learned something new.

RE: Evacuating air from the system

Very interesting! I thought I'm doing engine a favor until now.
Sound like PD pump can't move air.

@bbhero
We need to inform @ZeeOSix lol

Thanks for sharing this. I Learned something new.
The pump can definitely move air (and draw a vacuum) otherwise it couldn't draw the oil up from the pick-up, as the pump is above the oil. The air that's in the system will get pushed through the filter and out through the first place it can escape. The idea with pre-filling the filter is to prevent having to push all the air that's in the filter out of the system first, which, as the theory goes, should reduce the time it takes to envelop the engine and yield oil pressure. Not sure how effective it is in practice, as an oil pump moves a LOT of oil and as soon as it is pushing it, it doesn't care what's in the way, which is why when the relief would stick on some of the Ford Modular pumps, the filters would balloon or explode. The oil pump is like the Honey Badger, if it can get it up the pick-up, it's going to move it.

On some engines, depending on filter orientation, a defective ADBV will drain some to most of the oil out of the filter when it sits and the pump is having the pre-fill the filter on a cold start. This often yields start-up noise. This is no different than pre-filling the filter.

@OVERKILL

Thanks for the info. So if I am understating @ARCOgraphite post correctly, in theory, the air trapped between the pump and the oil filter (after an oil change), will move faster through the filter/system if it is not blocked by oil. i.e. don't fill up the filter or leave some space like 2/3 full so the air can escape quicker.

Is that correct, at least in theory? And not considering if the impact is significant either way.

@OVERKILL

Thanks for the info. So if I am understating @ARCOgraphite post correctly, in theory, the air trapped between the pump and the oil filter (after an oil change), will move faster through the filter/system if it is not blocked by oil. i.e. don't fill up the filter or leave some space like 2/3 full so the air can escape quicker.

Is that correct, at least in theory? And not considering if the impact is significant either way.
I don't think it makes a difference TBH.

I don't think it makes a difference TBH.
Yep, when I prefill my filter (on many different vehicles) I see the oil pressure build faster than if I install the filter dry. So that means the oil pump can pump air and suck oil up the pickup tube and send it through the oil filter just fine with a prefilled filter. Maybe if a pump was totally worn out it might have issues with very low suction on the puckup tube.

Man, there is nothing a PD pump can't do. It pumps air, thin oil, thick oil, Synthetic, dino, blend, Euro, and even ST and Kirkland. She's not picky! :ROFLMAO:

If I were a robot, I would marry one! :alien:

Back