Toyota 1NR-FE chain noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Toyota Yaris 1.33 1NR-FE 99 hp Europe.

I bought it with 5000 miles/8000 km and I decided to do an oil change. The oil inside was from the factory. The engine was quiet.

I put Mobil 1 0W20 AFE and OEM filter.
When I started the engine I noticed strange noise from the timing chain. That noise almost goes away when the engine is warm but when is cold the timing chain is pretty loud.
I drove 10000 km and I switched to Castrol Edge 5W30. The noise is still present.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the timing chain? Could just be VVT cold start rattle. Seems like low mileage for that problem though. Maybe the VVT oil control valve is defective which is usually the cold start noise on a lot of Toyota's. I believe you are still under warranty aren't you? Bring it to Toyota, they should fix it no charge. Good luck.

Well, if the engine started making this noise right away after putting in the new oil and it didn't prior, I'd suspect the oil. Mobil 1 is great oil and though I don't use it for this reason, I do like and use their ATFs & gear oils all the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Try Toyota oil & filter ?
He already used an approved oil and filter.

I had this issue with a 2006 Yaris with the larger engine. It would only run well with the factory foam core Japanese Factory filter, had terrible racket with the Thailand made Toyota Denso filters. Mystery to this day then the VVT gave it up about 7k miles later. Put the dirty factor filter back on ( after a fresh oil "rinse" and all was well.

It ran fair with WIX aftermarket and best with a Champion Labs non-ecore. when still available.

One of the reason I joined BITOG over a decade ago. Still unsolved ... VVT have issues that's for sure.

Curious on the origin of the factory filter. Thai, China or Japan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Find out what oil and filter previous owner used and do an oil change back to that.
It appears the PO still had the factory oil & filter, not sure what Toyota uses (TGMO & Denso filter?)? My xB has the slightly larger 1.5 1NZ-FE, it's never missed a beat on whatever I used, Mobil 5000, M1 AFE, M1 EP, PYB, Pennzoil Platinum, they've all been good.

Originally Posted by BIMMA
2015 Toyota Yaris 1.33 1NR-FE 99 hp Europe.

I bought it with 5000 miles/8000 km and I decided to do an oil change. The oil inside was from the factory. The engine was quiet.

I put Mobil 1 0W20 AFE and OEM filter.
When I started the engine I noticed strange noise from the timing chain. That noise almost goes away when the engine is warm but when is cold the timing chain is pretty loud.
I drove 10000 km and I switched to Castrol Edge 5W30. The noise is still present.

Any advice?

Mobil1 does tend to produce more noise. Try next oil change Castrol, Shell Helix, Total etc.
In my 3.5 V6 there was immediately rattle when I put Mobil1 0W20. With Mobil1 5W30 EP I use for last 17k, rattle is not as excessive during start, but still there.
At the same time, I also did UOA, and it was exemplary.

I've heard that about some other Toyotas as well ... That the engine was quieter with the Toyota oil. Some say it's due to high(er) amount of moly. Maybe try an oil with higher moly next and see what it does. you can also try PP or Magnatec. In the noise department, they seem to do well.

It was factory fill. Nobody touched it before me.
After the M1 0W20 I switched to Castrol 5W30, the noise still remains the same.

Next time I will try with Toyota Oil and Denso filter so we will see.

Skip the Denso filter IMO, been there dine that to no avail. but once the VVT get messed up I don't think it comes back.

Does the 1.3 have VVTi?

Change the filter to a good aftermarket part, top off the oil and report back.

If you're still under warranty and I believe you are, go get it fixed. Maybe there's a revised part for the oil control valve which is more than likely the cause of the rattle. Use the Denso filter with a 5w30. Don't bother with Toyota brand oil because it won't make a difference,just use a major brand 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back