New cold startup noise: Valvoline Synth High Mileage 5W-30, '07 4Runner V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is an '07 Toyota 4Runner with 1GR-FE V6 engine, 205K miles, first 164K miles were poor oil change discipline by original owner at ~20K intervals. Timing chains, guides, tensioners, and sprockets replaced with Toyota components at 175K due to chain elongation and recurring P0016 error code.

I've been running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 at ~5K OCIs since the timing chain replacement, no startup noise. Seeing how well the new D1G2 Valvoline synthetic high mileage oil did in my wife's vehicle, I went this route on my oil change yesterday. No compelling reason for the change from PPHM other than inventory simplification. Oil filter is a Toyota part from the dealership.

The engine was warm when I did the change yesterday, and no startup noise after the refill. Filter is a top-of-engine mounting design and went on empty as usual.

This morning, the engine made a noticeable rattle on initial cold startup. Noise stopped after ~1 second, very brief. The oil pressure idiot light went out right as the engine started, and was out during the short burst of noise. I shutdown and restarted, no noise. Drove to the gas station and refueled, no startup noise afterward.

Any thoughts? The only two variables in play are the oil filter and the oil. My thinking is either the ADBV in the new filter is defective, or maybe the additive package in the new oil needs time (heat and pressure) to activate while the previous additives are flushing away. Current plan is to continue running it for a few days while listening for the startup noise, and swap the filter if it continues after the oil has had time to "settle in".

Update: after re-reading my own post, the oil filter seemed like an easy rule-out. The box the new filter came in is different from my previous batch...new box has Toyota and Lexus Genuine Parts markings, old box only had Toyota markings. Both have the small holographic sticker on top, and came from the same dealership. Different enough to compel an experiment.

I removed the new filter and installed the last filter from my previous batch. The new filter is now seated in a funnel on my old-oil jug with the open end facing down to see if it drains itself. I can't reproduce the angle that the filter mounts on the engine, so it's not a perfect test. We'll see what happens.

One second TC rattle. Not an issue.

Thank "whomever" my new lease car has a dry timing system. I've personally had it with hydraulic VVT and wet timing systems.

That said ive had many instances of engine racket attributed to an oil filter after an oil change.

Worst offenders: Toyota Denso made in Thailland.
Next worst: NISSAN made in R.O.C.

Last edited:
Had the same problem with my MB which should have taken 0W40, switched to 5W40 and noise gone!
It may be that valvoline for some reason drains faster from metal surfaces and thereby producing the noise. The fact that you oil light goes off upon starting shows that the oil pump goes into full pressure immediately and provides lubrication to the engine. Try to go back to the previous make and see if it still make that noise, if not that's what I've said above.

Update: no cold startup noise this morning, and none after work. I have two more of the new-box oil filters on the shelf and will use one at the next oil change, which will also be Valvoline high mileage synth but 10W-30 as it'll be early-June timeframe (I like 10W-30 in this engine during Summer weather).

Originally Posted by crainholio
Update: no cold startup noise this morning, and none after work. I have two more of the new-box oil filters on the shelf and will use one at the next oil change, which will also be Valvoline high mileage synth but 10W-30 as it'll be early-June timeframe (I like 10W-30 in this engine during Summer weather).

I use a Fram Ultra Oversize filter (XG3600) in my Tacoma 1GR-FE. Excellent results, zero rattle.

Motor oils have become nearly identical due to SN+ and DEXOS at least in common grades in North America I do not worry about switching brands I just buy on price and convenience.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Motor oils have become nearly identical due to SN+ and DEXOS at least in common grades in North America I do not worry about switching brands I just buy on price and convenience.

Wrong!
Take a read from Valvoline, Mobil-1, Pennzoil, Castrol 5w30s. See where it says it either controls or reduces deposit formations.

Now take a look at house brand verbage from labels like Supertech. It states no such thing that it either controls or reduces deposit formations.

You know why that is?..... because Supertech hasn't the same ingredients as the others I mentioned. If it did, then that Supertech bottle would state what all the others state.
That tells me Supertech does not control and reduce deposit formations.

I'm done with this. Buy whatever cheap oil you desire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Wrong!
Take a read from Valvoline, Mobil-1, Pennzoil, Castrol 5w30s. See where it says it either controls or reduces deposit formations.

Now take a look at house brand verbage from labels like Supertech. It states no such thing that it either controls or reduces deposit formations.

You know why that is?..... because Supertech hasn't the same ingredients as the others I mentioned. If it did, then that Supertech bottle would state what all the others state.

The descriptive labels don't tell me anything but how the majors want their products marketed. Look up the oil's spec, approval and certification. Those will tell you the oil's capabilities with respect to deposits etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jacobsond
I get it now. The advertising claims are the final factor in quality of oil. How could we have been so wrong.

Yep. It's all in the marketing. The specifications and certifications mean nothing. I say this in jest.

Back to the thread topic, it sounds like a simple one time occurrence with no consequences.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Wrong!

Your either have not read or understand the DEXOS or SN+ certification. Which is it? Because the certifications require deposit control.

https://noln.net/2017/06/30/new-generation-dexos-acea-specifications/

www.oilspecifications.org/articles/api-sn.php

Is this too much for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back