Oil and noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Okay, but if the only oil you've used in nearly four decades has been M1 then you really have no standard of comparison.

The mechanic skills I have aren't up to Trav's, but I first started working on engines around 1958. I'm well versed in "peculiar engine noise 101". Seriously, I hear noisy engines often, but none of them are mine.

I think that you've missed the point that I was trying to make.
I'll put it this way and then leave it alone:
Put a fill of Syntec 0W-30 in either of your high mileage four cylinder engines and you'll be astounded at just how much smoother and quieter engine operation becomes.
Normal noise is hardly the same as noises signaling impending failure and even those with zero mechanical skills can usually detect the difference.
Some oils are simply better at masking normal mechanical noises than are others, but if you've only used one oil, you'd never know this.

After using M1 oils for nearly 40 years with great success, I ain't changing. LOL!

Last edited:
Nothin' wrong with it.
I've used plenty of M1 over the years and as I noted above I never found it to make for a noisier engine.
I do find thicker oils to make for a smoother and quieter engine, though, including the thicker grades of M1.
GC 0W-30 made anything I ran it in smoother and quieter as compared to M1 or PP 5W-30 or M1 0W-30 but it was a much higher HTHS oil.
Thicker is typically smoother and quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back